Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

I love him, think he has the potential to be one of my favourite ever players for Villa if he keeps progressing, but I do think he's been a little disappointing this season to be honest. Just in giving the ball away or with poor final balls.

I'm not concerned about him long term

Still a bit Diaby-ish in the number 10 position. Bags of potential but not always fully clicking. Absolutely worth persevering with though, whereas Diaby never fully convinced that he could make that position his own. 

Would also like to see Buendia get a few more minutes in that position to see what he could offer, or Tielemans when Bouba comes back

• Like 1

think it might be a bit of fatigue. has about 3 good games followed by a shit one. i fear we're overworking him as it's 90 mins every game. needs to pull out of that u21 squad with an 'injury'

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

think it might be a bit of fatigue. has about 3 good games followed by a shit one. i fear we're overworking him as it's 90 mins every game. needs to pull out of that u21 squad with an 'injury'

This, for mine. He was clearly off it yesterday. Yes, so were others, but whenever we got forward it seemed to die with Rogers.

So... why give him 90 minutes? Take him off on the hour mark, bring on Buendia.

Emery has used his bench fully in every game - but only 3 subs today. Weird.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, it’s absolutely this.

I don’t think he had a poor game in the whole; he was the attacking player making things happen and causing Man Utd problems. But after he’d done all the hard work, he just failed to get the last bit right every single time.

If he did that last bit, he’d have been MOTM and we’d have won by 2. 

We do seem to be saying this after every game though.

• Like 1

I know in a recent interview he did he stated that Emery asks him to keep hold of the ball a lot, but in my humble opinion he does it far too much. He needs to learn when to hold it and when to move it on. 

Sometimes doing the simple thing is the best thing. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Biggest difference between him and Cole Palmer is that Cole knows when to release the ball and keep moving (and Palmers shots are better generally).

He's a good player and I hope he's enjoying the freedom he's given, but he has to be a little more aware of moving the ball quicker and continuing his run will cause more problems than dwelling on it, losing it and putting us on the back foot.

I mentioned earlier in this topic that I thought he'd struggle this year as teams figure out how to play him, hopefully it doesn't take him long to change his game a little to get more product. 

• Like 1

The spotlight has been on him based on his impressive performances last season and I think he's feeling the pressure somewhat. There wasn't much in the way of expectation when we signed him and it's always easier to thrive in that situation but when teams know the threat you can offer and start planning to stop you, it's a different game. It's all part of the learning process for him. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

This, for mine. He was clearly off it yesterday. Yes, so were others, but whenever we got forward it seemed to die with Rogers.

So... why give him 90 minutes? Take him off on the hour mark, bring on Buendia.

Emery has used his bench fully in every game - but only 3 subs today. Weird.

Konsa going off first half must have upset the plan a bit, in hindsight I think Unai will regret not bringing someone else on (could easily have been for any outfield player really) with Duran as he didn't seem to want to gamble on using the final substitution(s) too early consdering our players are picking up knocks regularly.  If Rashford had been sent off then I'm sure Rogers and Ollie would have become unplayable against 10 men.

• Like 1

I thought he carried the ball really well yesterday, as others have said the final ball wasnt strong enough. I think in normal circumstances we'd have seen him replaced but the injuries made that difficult. When Duran come on, Rodgers moved left when Mcginn and Ramsey are absent. Philogene could play there but hes covering an injured Bailey. 

When I look back at the game. Rogers was our best player yesterday. The one that was driving forward trying to make things happen against a very defensive man u team. He takes risks and they don't always pay off. He doesn't just recycle the ball like some others.  

The final ball yesterday was shocking across the whole team, though Rogers seemed the worst culprit.

He's class, I love him, but there's a level of sharpness missing so far this season.

13 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Biggest difference between him and Cole Palmer is that Cole knows when to release the ball and keep moving (and Palmers shots are better generally).

He's a good player and I hope he's enjoying the freedom he's given, but he has to be a little more aware of moving the ball quicker and continuing his run will cause more problems than dwelling on it, losing it and putting us on the back foot.

I mentioned earlier in this topic that I thought he'd struggle this year as teams figure out how to play him, hopefully it doesn't take him long to change his game a little to get more product. 

Cole Palmer is also on current form probably one of the top 10 players in the world, so the fact we are even talking about him in the same breath as Morgan Rogers shows how high expectations are.

I think he is still very much a player who needs all of Emery’s individual coaching and video analysis to keep developing his game. It’s clear that he has all the raw materials to be something special, and he does show it on a fairly regular basis.

It will all come together, I’ve no doubt about that.

• Like 2

When we have more mf players available i would stick him on the bench. He has massive potential but is currently too wasteful. I am sure others would deliver a better final ball at the moment. Its very frustrating, he gone from unplayable to no end product. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna

Emery bought him for his strengths not weaknesses. He knows he isn't great at holding onto the ball and can make poor decisions at times. But he offers us something that Emery wants. Ability to transition at great pace while breaking the lines. His strengths far out weigh his weaknesses for our system. In a world of keep hold of the football at all costs Rogers is our joker in the pack.. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â