Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

25 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Tbf both Palmer and Gordon have played regularly for the U21s, including in the last year. 

Palmer made one 53 minute appearance once he was established in the Chelsea team. That's still 53 minutes too many.

Gordon was a perfect example of what U21s should actually be!

When he moved to Newcastle in Jan 2023, he only started 4 of about 20 games for them to the end of the season.

So off he went to the U21 Euros, starred, has since become a staple in Newcastle's team and has never played for the U21 again.

Emery even mentioned Philogene as someone who is fine as a callup. Not an established first team PL player like Rogers.

Edited by Tomaszk

Genuine question…what is the point of the England u21s? If it is development, then Unai is completely right, he will get absolutely nothing from spending the international break with them when he should be resting and preparing for a mammoth season ahead including playing at the very highest level of European football. 

• Like 1

What a joke. Carsley should be nowhere near being temporary England manager. He's credentials are far worse than Southgate. Third rate player, Third rate manager 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

What a joke. Carsley should be nowhere near being temporary England manager. He's credentials are far worse than Southgate. Third rate player, Third rate manager 

As AVFC are all too aware credentials as a player have zero impact on credentials as a manager. I think Carsley will do well - will be interesting to see what he does with the senior squad.

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Of course he shouldn't be in it. 

It's for developing players and he's playing at a higher level already in regular PL football.

Bloody Maatsen in the Netherlands U21! He played the champions league final last year. 

FIFA will outlaw this sort of thing soon thankfully. There's no way players of that level should be wasting time and risking injury in the U21s.

Especially as the risk is the likes of Ramsey missing for nearly the entire season because of one foot stamping whining Portuguese player who didn't even get booked.

Edited by Andy_10
Rethink.

41 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

As AVFC are all too aware credentials as a player have zero impact on credentials as a manager. I think Carsley will do well - will be interesting to see what he does with the senior squad.

None but experience playing in major competitions like Southgate did counts for something. He will probably do okay in the interim period because anybody would given the players he has bit noway should he get the job on a permanent basis.

32 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

As a football fan, I'm sick of England and internationals and have been for some time. 

I hope Rogers gets an 'injury' so can't join up.

Me too. I am sick of this international  break after just three games. It's annoying because he.might be our most important player now in our most important season in many years and he will be playing against the best teams in Europe so u21 is a joke

• Like 1

“It has been a bit mad,” the Aston Villa forward says of the fallout. “I am a terrible loser, sore loser, everything, so my initial reaction coming off the pitch was disappointment and then the buzz I felt from my teammates, media and family after the game made me think: ‘Maybe I did better than I thought.’ It was a weird spot to be in that evening.”

“I’ve had to work on my confidence … so thinking that I can be the best player on the pitch at any given time or day, no matter who is playing. Of course, there are world-class players in every game we play, even just on my team. But ‘Why not me?’ is the mindset I’ve adopted, especially this year. ‘Why can’t I be the best player on the pitch today and show what I’m about as well?’”

“The responsibilities he’s given me have just got bigger and bigger,” Rogers says. “When I was younger, I’d let games and opportunities pass me by because I was trying to play the game … not too nice but I was not fully showing what I’m about and just showing glimpses. Now I don’t want to waste a second on the pitch. As long as I’ve got that mindset, then I know I can get to that level. I have shown it this season but I still want to go to another level and get better and better.”

Villa entered a different sphere this season after qualifying for the Champions League; Rogers remembers mimicking the anthem in school but next month it will become a reality. “You joke about it with your friends when you’re younger … to walk out to it will be a pinch-myself and surreal moment,” he says. Arguably Villa’s most alluring European ties promise to be those at home to Bayern Munich, Celtic and Juventus. “My family were texting me as the draw was going on, saying who we got. It was a feelgood moment. It’s what you dream of, it’s what I’ve worked towards, it’s where I want to be, it’s where I feel I should be.”

Pep Guardiola spoke with Rogers in the tunnel after City beat Villa in April. “It was like a sense of relief [for him]. Everything he knew I had, he saw it in me. It didn’t quite work when I was there but he saw it here and that was kind of a big thing for me because it showed how far I’d come, how I’d worked it out and got better and grown up. That will stick with me because it was like I’d finally done what he saw, what he wanted. It [being at City] might not have been the most successful part of my career but it helped mould and develop me into the player I am now.”

The 22-year-old speaks with a maturity that belies his years. He has multiple tattoos, including one on his left forearm that details the birthdays of his parents and three brothers. “That is my favourite one, my most sentimental one,” he says. Rogers’ tight relationship with his family was illustrated when his mother, Deborah, and youngest brother surprised him at a supporters’ event in New York’s Times Square during Villa’s pre-season tour. Rogers lives with one of his brothers, Daniel, a therapist, and spent a chunk of the summer working daily on his fitness with another, Ash, an individual coach, Stateside and then in Portugal

“Coming here, I saw some of the players we’ve got in the changing room that are just a different breed, different animals … I thought: ‘I need to be able to match that.’ At first, training was a shock to me, games were a shock. I knew I had to kick on and I feel like I’ve done that.”

Was the aim to be stronger? “Stronger, more muscle, fitter, everything – the lot. I wanted to be quicker. I didn’t want to start the season building up speed, I wanted to hit the ground running. I was itching to go after missing the last few games of last season [because of a hamstring injury].” He hired a chef to help with his diet. “Nutrition-wise, I’m eating a lot better, much healthier.”

Michael Appleton, who signed Rogers on loan at Lincoln and Blackpool, says Rogers is a rarity as an attacking player who relishes the physical side. “I prefer it,” Rogers says. “The way I play and where I want to play on the pitch, there is going to be contact and traffic around me, so to be able to feel pressure and turn away from it is something I pride myself on.”

The biggest stage still awaits. “That’s how quickly football can change,” Rogers says. “It is mad to know where I’ve got to in a short space of time but that is also what motivates me to think: ‘Where can I be in another year or three years?’ I don’t just want to stop here.”

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A bit of a performance we can expect from these young players after having a great game against a top team last week. They will have big variations in performance the first months of this season. Today I think he did not release the ball quick enough and ran himself into trouble.

Víctima of his own success, tried a bit too hard today and forced himself into situations were he lost the ball, half the team seemed to be doing that for a short spell. Should have kept it a little bit simpler. But still some great play and passes. 

What on earth was that, a championship players performance, nothing stuck, passes were terrible, knocked off the ball and never got past players. A world apart from the Arsenal performance 

2 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

What on earth was that, a championship players performance, nothing stuck, passes were terrible, knocked off the ball and never got past players. A world apart from the Arsenal performance 

That's the thing with young players who are not world class. You get very big difference between their top and bottom level.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â