Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

Big praise today 

The season is only two games old (and who isn’t desperate for an international break after the third?) but already, Morgan Rogers looks like one of its breakout stars. Though he showed his promise last term, this season at Aston Villa suggests a young player making a definitive step up. By the looks of things, Rogers has bulked up during the summer – crucially, without compromising his agility – such that West Ham’s midfield struggled to contain him on the opening weekend, before he gave Arsenal’s Declan Rice and Thomas Partey more than they could handle. The best players are those who do not need circumstances in their favour to regularly affect games. Or, in other words, we know how good Rogers is when he’s good; at some point this season, we’ll find out if he is still good even when he’s bad. Daniel Harris

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/30/premier-league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

The Athletic did a write up on the champs league draw, which clubs they want to see and which players. Quite a few said Villa and Rogers also got a mention. He’s making an impression on everyone it seems. 

19 hours ago, useless said:

Gomes should have had a call up long before now, he's exactly the type of midfielder that England have been lacking and was also one of the best and most important players in Carsley's U21 team, his inclusion has no bearing on Rogers, they play completely different positions, Gomes plays as a DM for the U21s, albeit more of a ball playing DM than an old fashioned purely defensive DM

He plays a more attacking role in midfield for his club it seems from the reports I read of him.

Is that just circumstance and he's actually a more defensive midfielder? Wharton seemed to tick that box for me as the next possibility there, but if he's a similar player can understand why he's been picked as it's far from locked down at the moment. 

On Rogers, he shouldn't be upset about losing out this time, but when the permanent manager comes in he should be expecting a call up if his form has continued. I'd be upset to see him go away with the u21s. Not sure that's any benefit to him whatsoever at this stage.

Edited by MrBlack

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He plays a more attacking role in midfield for his club it seems from the reports I read of him.

Is that just circumstance and he's actually a more defensive midfielder?

Gomes last season according to Transfermarkt:

Screenshot-20240830-093754-Chrome.jpg

Gomes isn't really a defensive midfield first and foremost, he's more like Luiz, and as such sometimes plays as a deep-lying playmaker in the holding midfield role. He's definitely a central midfielder these days, so should have no bearing on Rogers

• Like 2

Just now, Tom13 said:

Gomes last season according to Transfermarkt:

Screenshot-20240830-093754-Chrome.jpg

Supports what I said. More often attacking than defensive, and hence why I wondered if it was a circumstance thing or genuine ability related. 

@useless's follow up makes sense in that context though,  can play anywhere across the middle, and his "attacking" role isn't the same as a Rogers in an attacking role. A true midfielder as it were. 

So it is a position we're not strong in at the moment.  Rice seems to be the only person we've got there with any experience. Rogers has a lot of competition further forward,  although I'd argue he's been in better form for longer than most of them at the moment. Early days!

Ergh... he's in the u21 sqaud. Someone give me some positive news on this as it just seems way below his level. And I'm getting worrying flash backs to a Ramsey that also shouldn't have been playing for the u21s.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Ergh... he's in the u21 sqaud. Someone give me some positive news on this as it just seems way below his level. And I'm getting worrying flash backs to a Ramsey that also shouldn't have been playing for the u21s.

What did you expect? Him not to be in it?

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Not really. Once he'd missed the senior squad it's a no brainer for them.

I thought of a potential benefit in that he might get some game time alongside Samuel IJ and Philogene. Could be a good test of our potential future forward line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Farce.

Development football that means nothing.

Waste of his time and asking for trouble.

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

What a waste of time.

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Of course he shouldn't be in it. 

It's for developing players and he's playing at a higher level already in regular PL football.

Bloody Maatsen in the Netherlands U21! He played the champions league final last year. 

FIFA will outlaw this sort of thing soon thankfully. There's no way players of that level should be wasting time and risking injury in the U21s.

That he's in the U21 squad is a good thing for us and him on many levels, if he wasn't in it it would be strange, unless with the seniors. Most of the squad are first team Premier League players, they're there to prepare them for full international duty, it's a completely different thing to U21 football at club level

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, useless said:

That he's in the U21 squad is a good thing for us and him on many levels, if he wasn't in it it would be strange, unless with the seniors. Most of the squad are first team Premier League players, they're there to prepare them for full international duty, it's a completely different thing to U21 football at club level

Plus Rogers only has two U21 caps - probably eager to play for England no matter the level right now, still new to him.

30 minutes ago, useless said:

It's a bad thing for us on many levels.

Leicester away tomorrow will be more difficult than any match he ever plays for the U21.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â