Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Crazy that he was just plodding along at Boro for a couple of years. Elite talent ID by Unai and co.

Was he even doing this sort of thing at Boro? Almost bizarre progression in such a short time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

When is he wasteful? Uses the ball cleverly 9 times out of 10 from what I watch. And his weight of pass is top notch.

Tries the killer ball or a first time pass very very often. Sometimes he should take a touch and the chance will be easier for him to create IMO.

To play like he did today against Arsenal is unreal. He was very good.

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

For example, when he went on that incredible run down the left but then cut it back straight to the goalkeeper. 

Maybe Ollie should have been going to the near post but he just needs to get his head up at those moments and find one of his team mates.

Its definitely something he will improve though.

He couldn't have done a lot more there IMO. It was mega tight and he very nearly picked someone out with his weak foot.

He’s wasteful when he tries fancy flicks first time. He’s much better off controlling the ball, rolling his man and moving with the ball. He’s lethal when he does. So strong.

Incredible player tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He couldn't have done a lot more there IMO. It was mega tight and he very nearly picked someone out with his weak foot.

There's 2 clear moments in that clip above when he makes the wrong choice. One he tries a shot instead of going wide and the other he holds it too long and then can't get pass out to Digne.  Don't get me wrong, I thought he was superb but his decision making definitely can be better. I'm sure it will be in time.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He only had half a season there I think? Still surprising though given how bloody good he is.

True, even crazier that he was on loan at Blackpool and Bournemouth prior and did nothing of note.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

Yeah maybe. He did really well today overall against a very tough opponent who are defensively probably the best in the league.

It’ll be interesting to see how he does in the next few games in matches we should win. I’d expect at least one goal and one assist in the next 4 games.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

There's 2 clear moments in that clip above when he makes the wrong choice. One he tries a shot instead of going wide and the other he holds it too long and then can't get pass out to Digne.  Don't get me wrong, I thought he was superb but his decision making definitely can be better. I'm sure it will be in time.

See the Digne one I thought he was waiting for movement/support for ages. He'd held onto it for five seconds or so with no movement and then Digne eventually moves into space and he spots it, but it was just a little late to be executed. The shot, again, I don't think he had anything on. He's on a different level footballing brain wise to our other attacking players IMO.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Amazing that Unai and his team were watching the Boro tapes in prep, then when they played us, and Unai just said..."i want him".

What an eye for a player.

Unbelievable spot from the gaffer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

True, even crazier that he was on loan at Blackpool and Bournemouth prior and did nothing of note.

I always refer to Englands all time leading scorer when it comes to not doing a tap when out on loan. 

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Amazing that Unai and his team were watching the Boro tapes in prep, then when they played us, and Unai just said..."i want him".

Was in the Man City setup, performing very well for Boro, and is a local lad. Great signing defo, but you’d hope we’d be monitoring a player like this. Not exactly a mystery signing.

But yes, has been superb for us since he joined. Just a proper athlete, a graceful destroyer. Has an old school 80s / 90s feel to his game.

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Goes to show that there is still an important role for the 'eye test' in recruitment. Neither Martinez nor Rogers would be villa players if we took a money ball approach that Lange was a fan of. 

• Like 1

You don't realize just how imposing he is until players are right on him but failing to stop him. His ball control while running and his little feints that shake defenders are really exceptional. He is a gifted player and a revelation for everyone who watches him play. What a brilliant signing. The recruitment team (and Emery) clearly know what they're doing.

Edited by maqroll

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The academy staff will have had a say as well as they worked with him at WBA

What a player :) 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â