Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Most players in the Belgian, Dutch or Danish leagues wouldn't be able to step up to CL either.  Should we stop scouting their also?

No. They are far cheaper generally than a Championship star so the risk is lessened. Its all about FFP now.

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

They do occasionally produce them. And they cost a fortune when they do. 

I would prefer to focus elsewhere and think we will.

Fair enough, I'm guessing what you're saying is that you hope we shop for proven talent more than potentials?

Personally I don't think the league matters, all talent have to start somewhere. I just want us to be good at recognizing talent and getting good deals for players that improve us. If that comes from a CL team or a team in the Norwegian highest division, I don't really care.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Fair enough, I'm guessing what you're saying is that you hope we shop for proven talent more than potentials?

Personally I don't think the league matters, all talent have to start somewhere. I just want us to be good at recognizing talent and getting good deals for players that improve us. If that comes from a CL team or a team in the Norwegian highest division, I don't really care.

I'm saying that its so risky to shop in the Championship given cost v likelyhood of stepping up to the CL PLUS the fact we have Monchi and a great scouting team, that I would use that team to get better value and lower the FFP risk.

Not a crazy idea and certainly not an idea worthy of being jumped on from every ******* angle tbh.

Edited by GlobalVillan

15 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

They do occasionally produce them. And they cost a fortune when they do. 

I would prefer to focus elsewhere and think we will.

I agree we should focus elsewhere. Nobody has disagreed.

You said you hope we aren't BUYING championship players. 

We shouldn't focus on the championship, but if the right player is available from the championship I don't think we should just not buy them because we don't want to be buying from there. We should be scouting it like we would any other european league

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

but if the right player is available from the championship 

I think that is unlikely to happen very often at all, given our trajectory and all the other things I mentioned.

Some of the reactions to me stating I would hope we aren't using our vast resources in the scouting arena to look at overpriced Championship players have been ridiculous and over the top.

23 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think that is unlikely to happen very often at all, given our trajectory and all the other things I mentioned.

Some of the reactions to me stating I would hope we aren't using our vast resources in the scouting arena to look at overpriced Championship players have been ridiculous and over the top.

It’s probably because your original post said we shouldn’t be SIGNING players from the championship. Which suggests that even if there was an amazing player in there we just shouldnt sign them. 

I don’t think that’s what you meant, but that’s how it came across

Edited by Stevo985

14 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't understand why some can't grasp that We aren't looking to bring in Rogers as a major signing, if we needed someone to come in and make an impact on the first team straight away then we would be looking at a different more proven player, Rogers is being brought as a project player, someone we think can improve and then either become part our squad, or be sold on for a profit, basically like a next level Azaz, but good enough to be part of our squad and the potential to get even better

We will sign more proven players alongside Rogers, either this window or in the summer, other clubs, including the very best in the league, do similar, not every signing has to be some proven superstar, some are for the academy, some are for first team squad, some will come straight into the starting eleven, some will go back out on loan, and so on.

Also £10m isn't expensive, people talking as if Rogers is an older player that hasn't been able to get a move away from the Championship until now, he's only twenty-one, the fact that he's played as much Championship football as he has at such a young age and in spite of injuries and has done well, is a sign that he can make the step up not the opposite

Yes exactly this. Monchi and Unai are doing what all other clubs have been doing for years and doing a mix of transfers for prospects and starting XI impacts. 

Monchi’s reputation has been to acquire prospects in the winter and impactful signings in the summer. 

Looking at Roger’s to immediately slot in is silly. But he has potential and fits the ethos of how Unai wants to play. Low risk, high reward signing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

I sincerely hope we aren't buying Championship players in another yea or so.

Depends on the players. Some of the best players in the Premier league have been championship players. Grealish was a championship player at one stage, Watkins, Mings, Konsa, and McGinn too. Maddison, Dunk, Bowen, Vardy, a many more were once championship players.

Transfers can fail regardless of where players are signed from. It's all about the scouting being on point, and the player being suited to the teams style and managers plans.

10 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Depends on the players. Some of the best players in the Premier league have been championship players. Grealish was a championship player at one stage, Watkins, Mings, Konsa, and McGinn too. Maddison, Dunk, Bowen, Vardy, a many more were once championship players.

Transfers can fail regardless of where players are signed from. It's all about the scouting being on point, and the player being suited to the teams style and managers plans.

Read above. This has been done to death now.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

Read above. This has been done to death now.

Hahaha yeah, I think a lot of us probably just initially misunderstood you ;)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MSvillain said:

‘I trust my wife but I’ve just put a tracker on her phone in case’

i trust that both our data analysts and lifelong football minds Monchi and Emery have done their research over people who have maybe glimpsed at this lad for 180 mins at most.

That’s not a good example mate.  Maybe something more like —> I trust my wife’s decision to send the kids to private school, but I feel the public schools are just as good. 

So Monchi and Emery will never get a signing wrong?  

To be honest it's only this window we are looking at (one) Championship player, our signings in the summer were on players who Champions League teams would normally go for (Diaby, Torres and Tielemans, even Zaniolo and Lenglet were playing for teams that are playing in the Champions League this season). The last time we signed a player from the Championship for the first team was probably under Dean Smith (Buendia?).

I think we're going for Rogers to increase our English quota and because he is relatively cheap and we don't want to splash out until summer (either in wages or transfer fees). I think we'll see more Diaby, Torres, Tielemans type signings in summer: i.e. proven top quality players that have performed at the highest level. It's just a shame we aren't bringing in one player of that level this month given we are 4th in the league and got a lot to play for. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Could easily be our Bowen

Bowen was absolutely killing it at that level. He was pretty much the same age as Rogers when West Ham signed him and had a 1 in 2 scoring record for Hull as a right winger in something like 100 games. Rogers has had nowhere near that level of impact.

I just don't see it at all. 

• Like 2

Seems a rather odd signing for a prospect who is doing ok in the Championship. His career development would probably be better if he stayed at Boro for a bit but the lure of the prem and a stack of money would be tempting. Has been on the books for 3 clubs and is only in his early 20s which doesn't bode well IMO, a lot of chopping and changing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Seems a rather odd signing for a prospect who is doing ok in the Championship. His career development would probably be better if he stayed at Boro for a bit but the lure of the prem and a stack of money would be tempting. Has been on the books for 3 clubs and is only in his early 20s which doesn't bode well IMO, a lot of chopping and changing.

I swear I’ve seen this post 20 times over.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Emery must really see something in him that is being overlooked by others, otherwise it makes no sense to be pushing for the transfer this much.  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â