• Moreno (Digne 49)
    • Diaby (Ramsey 77)
    • Zaniolo (Bailey 77)
    • Durán (McGinn 86)
    • Iroegbunam (Dendocker 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/12/23 at 23:59

to be brutally honest.

It just shows that some of our players arent quite as good as we think they are, i think some of them are very good, but also some are propped up a bit by performances around them, ie: average/good players can look superb when they have quality players around them, but when the quality around them drops off, rather than maintain the high level, they also drop off.

We certainly missed Pau, Kamara and Tielemans, we just dont have the squad depth to swallow that level of missing quality tbh.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I think you're right but I hope not. With Carlos dropping clangers we're missing Konsa's reliability in the middle. I agree Ramsey needs time to sharpen up, more than we thought. We're also desperately missing Tielemans either out on the left or as cover for in the middle.

Yeah I'd much prefer Konsa in the middle too. You can see he's frustrated whenever we concede a soft goal there and he's thinking "I could have stopped that"

I know I shouldn't be a such a jaded pessimist but we have seen this all before at Villa, missing the chance to really push on. The owners need to help Emery recruit some extra quality in January if they are actually serious for us to challenge the top four, or just happy to fight for europa/conference places at best.

12 minutes ago, string28 said:

I think we need to see that we are no way getting top four we really aren't good enough.

No people need to see we were never in the title race. Top four is still achievable but will require reinforcements in January, some luck and a very good end to the season. 

• Like 2

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

I know I shouldn't be a such a jaded pessimist but we have seen this all before at Villa, missing the chance to really push on. The owners need to help Emery recruit some extra quality in January if they are actually serious for us to challenge the top four, or just happy to fight for europa/conference places at best.

Yep, we are full time bottle jobs and have been for all my supporting Villa life. Cannot seem to take that next step but I’m not ruling out top 4 just yet we are still bang there. 

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We are pushing on look at last years table. Why are Villa fans so impatient ?

17 minutes ago, string28 said:

I think we need to see that we are no way getting top four we really aren't good enough.

Can't agree.

Up until 2-0 we were dominating but for whatever reason the team decided to stop playing at 2-0 up.

That's just a mentality issue not a lack of quality.

Edited by Pinebro

38 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Where were McGinn and Doug today?  Too many spuds or something yesterday?  So annoying and really unlike Unai to not spot the problems and change early enough.

The main reason we lost really… really surprising and disappointing to see how little control of midfield and the game we had… we weren’t ourselves at all. In that second half… that’s not the Unai Villa that we know and love.

Looking at their side, we really should have dominated possession in that game… I do think complacency set in after that second goal though… must learn…

A blip that we will overcome. Keep the faith, trust in King Unai.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The most upset I've been at us for the whole season.

More worried about the manner of the throwaway performance, than the actual result.

It was a bizarre performance, I'll reiterate, I understand our style of play overall, but why in the absolute f*ck are we still playing like we are holding onto a lead, after going behind, with 10 whole minutes to go?

You can't even fault the backup lads as they were actually good on the whole!

I just hope it's not the start of a " slide ".

A Newcastle implosion…I really hope not

11 minutes ago, smg said:

For you clearly.. we are still performing above last years levels

Leaking 3 goals against ANY team in the second half is embarrassing, but doubly so against a side that hasn't scored in 7+ hours prior. We were a joke tonight. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Oh gosh don’t say that… we won back to back games against Man City and Arsenal so there can’t be a mentality issue… 

Thought we rode our luck for large part against Arsenal personally.

Man City game was superb.

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Exactly this - we need the options we have when everyone is fit, beyond the first line there really isn't very much.

This is completely true.

I think many of us need to realise that Unai has got this squad over performing… there isn’t a heap of quality or even form beyond our strongest 11.

Really hope NSWE demonstrate their intentions and give Unai the ability to boost this squad now with major quality… let’s not allow a drop off and keep pushing onwards n upwards… We miss and rely on certain individuals far too heavily…

Let’s show we really mean business and give Unai better/more tools to work with…

Also… the same players cannot play exceptionally every game, every time either… that expectation or demand is unfair and unrealistic.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Considering we played that game with our back up CBs (Lenglet and Carlos), no proper RB (Konsa), missing our best CM (Kamara), arguably no LM (Ramsey was incredibly poor) and that Douglas and McGinn unfortunately had poor games I'm starting relax a bit. 

Thank you for this…

14 minutes ago, smg said:

We are pushing on look at last years table. Why are Villa fans so impatient ?

Because of the amount of times we have threw away 2 goal leads, especially against this lot. There can never be any excuses for losing focus in a game where you're 2 in front. We could see  those 3 goals coming, that's shameful.