Walter H Price - Aston Villa’s first captain

MikeMcKenna

Thanks for posting this, Mike. The club should really commission a proper history as so much of this information is scattered about the place. The founding story is well known but there’s so much more we could uncover. It’d be important for community outreach - younger and more senior fans, alike - while also adding value to the club’s brand. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Thanks for posting this, Mike. The club should really commission a proper history as so much of this information is scattered about the place. The founding story is well known but there’s so much more we could uncover. It’d be important for community outreach - younger and more senior fans, alike - while also adding value to the club’s brand. 

A Museum at VP maybe 🤔

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Walter is the first (or rather the last...) name on the wall of captains, alongside such luminaries as *checks notes*  Micah bloody Richards.

As an aside, you would wonder why they sorted it descending, meaning each new captain requires every other name to be moved downwards, instead of just putting them at the bottom. Ho hum. Anyway, nice to have Walter on the wall.

• Like 2

Call me Mr Picky but the selective nature of those captains named makes me a little bit twitchy. The shame of Richards on that list looks quite galling compared to the other club legends. No mention Billy Dickson, the 1892 FA Cup final captain, or the promotion captains Bruce Rioch (1972) or Jimmy Allen (1938).

On the subject of captains, first moving footage of a villa captain is of stand-in captain Jas Cowan, you can view of free on the British Film Institute website.

Click here for the BFI Player Video

Anyway, back on the subject of the first captain W.H. Price. I have a Jack Hughes newspaper article somewhere with a photo of Hughes, W. Weiss & Price. It’s pretty much illegible as it’s from a microfilm copy but I’ll see if I can find it out and post it.

1 minute ago, Unused Sub said:

Call me Mr Picky but the selective nature of those captains named makes me a little bit twitchy. The shame of Richards on that list looks quite galling compared to the other club legends. No mention Billy Dickson, the 1892 FA Cup final captain, or the promotion captains Bruce Rioch (1972) or Jimmy Allen (1938).

On the subject of captains, first moving footage of a villa captain is of stand-in captain Jas Cowan, you can view of free on the British Film Institute website.

Click here for the BFI Player Video

Anyway, back on the subject of the first captain W.H. Price. I have a Jack Hughes newspaper article somewhere with a photo of Hughes, W. Weiss & Price. It’s pretty much illegible as it’s from a microfilm copy but I’ll see if I can find it out and post it.

Hi Mr. Picky.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, BOF said:

Walter is the first (or rather the last...) name on the wall of captains, alongside such luminaries as *checks notes*  Micah bloody Richards.

As an aside, you would wonder why they sorted it descending, meaning each new captain requires every other name to be moved downwards, instead of just putting them at the bottom. Ho hum. Anyway, nice to have Walter on the wall.

It's always bothered me that when we get our next captain they're going to have to move every single one of those names down a spot

Edit: I just read your post properly and realised that's exactly what you pointed out :D 

Edited by Stevo985

20 hours ago, BOF said:

I have no memory of Elphick being club captain. Wow 

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I have no memory of Elphick being club captain. Wow 

It probably went right over his head too. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â