Formula One - 2024

BOF

On 07/09/2024 at 23:00, Genie said:

Newey is reportedly going to be on £30m a year at Aston Martin, absolutely insane money for an engineer. He’ll be one of the UK’s highest earning “sportsmen”.

I supposed on the other hand it’s good that someone with such undeniable talent gets the big money!

Honestly don't think that's insane at all. You're buying a winning car in an extremely expensive sport. For me if you can get him, it's a no-brainer. I'm amazed he didn't end up at Ferrari alongside Hamilton. If AM get rid of Lance at some point, I might even be able to root for them again.

How long will it take Newey to have an impact? The car is miles behind Red Bull and McLaren, and a bit behind Mercedes and Ferrari. I don't rate Lance Stroll either. I'm not moaning, I hope he can do it sooner rather than later so that we get more teams really racing at the front next season.

5 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

How long will it take Newey to have an impact? The car is miles behind Red Bull and McLaren, and a bit behind Mercedes and Ferrari. I don't rate Lance Stroll either. I'm not moaning, I hope he can do it sooner rather than later so that we get more teams really racing at the front next season.

Probably begin to some sort of impression in 2026 and then probably the biggest impact will be 2027.

Dependent on how the new Honda engine from 2026 performs as well

One other surprising thing I’ve seen in reports about Newey’s salary is that only Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen and … Lando Norris are paid more.

Is Lando really getting circa £30m+ a year??? 
Max and Lewis you can understand for obvious reasons but Lando commanding that sort of salary is surprising.

42 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

He starts with them in March 2025 so the 2026 car will be his first car, but I wouldn't be surprised to see upgrades to the 2025 car once he definitely doesn't brings his Red Bull knowledge to the table.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

One other surprising thing I’ve seen in reports about Newey’s salary is that only Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen and … Lando Norris are paid more.

Is Lando really getting circa £30m+ a year??? 
Max and Lewis you can understand for obvious reasons but Lando commanding that sort of salary is surprising.

Did he get a new contract recently?

There were probably bigger teams after him and he used that to negotiate a bigger deal

But I agree it is quite surprising, probably a timing thing

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Did he get a new contract recently?

There were probably bigger teams after him and he used that to negotiate a bigger deal

But I agree it is quite surprising, probably a timing thing

Signed an extension in Jan until 2026

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It surely can’t be north of £30m a year though, can it? He had no race wins at all at that point. 

He was already on 20m, and it would have been to stave off attempts to nick him so it would have to be significantly higher than that.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

He was already on 20m, and it would have been to stave off attempts to nick him so it would have to be significantly higher than that.

Madness really. 
As time goes by I’ve come to the opinion that there are no exceptional drivers, only exceptional cars. 

Theres drivers who can and drivers who can’t. Put any of the “can” in a good car and the wins take care of themselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Madness really. 
As time goes by I’ve come to the opinion that there are no exceptional drivers, only exceptional cars. 

Theres drivers who can and drivers who can’t. Put any of the “can” in a good car and the wins take care of themselves. 

Nah, there are always exceptional drivers. Some times have more than others, and some eras make it harder to see than others.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Nah, there are always exceptional drivers. Some times have more than others, and some eras make it harder to see than others.

Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen 4 recent examples of drivers going from complete dominance to also rans (to differing levels). 

This season there’s 3 / 4 cars which can be fastest on any given day depending on the track and conditions and we’ve got a different winner every race pretty much.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It surely can’t be north of £30m a year though, can it? He had no race wins at all at that point. 

Probably timing and some of it no doubt down to the number of races continually going up. I know it is more of a yearly salary but if it worked out that you were on a million per race and there are now 2-4 more races than last time you signed you would think that must play at least some part in it. 24 races now is a long old season when even 10 years ago it was only 19 so wouldn't be surprised to see everyone getting a reasonable boost to anything they signed even 2 years ago

• Like 1

Stella has said that Norris does have priority over Piastri now. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Especially if they are on the front row and Norris has his usual sh*t start with the Ferrari's, Mercs and Verstappen behind him.

Do they tell Piastri to slow down to allow Norris to try and catch up and risk being swamped by the cars behind them? 

Edited by Avfc96

25 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Stella has said that Norris does have priority over Piastri now. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Especially if they are on the front row and Norris has his usual sh*t start with the Ferrari's, Mercs and Verstappen behind him.

Do they tell Piastri to slow down to allow Norris to try and catch up and risk being swamped by the cars behind them? 

Good. There's 8 races left. It's not a contract thing. It's common **** sense. If I was Pastry I wouldn't be fussed about that decision. If you want preferential treatment next season then try being the guy higher up in the standings? It's team play. It's been around in F1 75 years.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Good. There's 8 races left. It's not a contract thing. It's common **** sense. If I was Pastry I wouldn't be fussed about that decision. If you want preferential treatment next season then try being the guy higher up in the standings? It's team play. It's been around in F1 75 years.

I agree, just be interesting to see how it plays out.

Say Norris qualifies on pole, with Piastri second.

Norris has to sort his starts out otherwise you'll have a situation where Piastri is quicker than him off the line, but then what does he do? Overtake him, or try and back up the pack in which case you'll have every behind him right on their ars*. Especially at this weekend at Baku, where that first corner is quite tight as well as the first sector.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â