January Transfers 2024

sne

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Getting the guys in their 30s is a little different though, it's as you say for the top level experience (those three all played for England at a World cup and endless european competitions for previous clubs).

Gross signed for them way back in summer 2017 when they were newly promoted so had a slightly different model, he'd just turned 26 and 3m so a great bargain. Dunk came through youth system and Webster 24 when he signed, same for Estupinan who'd just played in a CL SF for Villareal.

Dewsbury-Hall just dosen't have anything like that experience or long term potential, it's a curious Brighton signing for me if it happens.

It's just a problem for Brighton that comes with their changing status. Two things happen really: first, the news that Brighton are interested in a player makes it seem like he's particularly promising, so it gets harder to find unknown gems and the risk of being gazumped grows. Second, as they start to compete consistently for and in Europe, they can't just have a squad of model professionals on the downslope and South American teenagers, they start to need some players to be the heart of the team *now* so they can compete on all these fronts. 

Of course here is where it gets harder, because if you have a transfer 'miss' it matters more, because they cost more and they're a bigger part of your strategy. Brighton have had transfer misses before - nobody thinks Jurgen Locadia or Alireza Jahanbakhsh were great business - but they didn't have to spend the thick end of £40m on them so there was less pressure to get it right. 

All this is why so many have been making the Southampton comparison for so long, eventually Southampton had some big money misses, and then when your Guido Carillo doesn't work out it was a big hole in the budget and things get harder. Not to say Brighton will definitely have that fate but it's a big challenge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

That's the thing, he's not a player Brighton can just flip in 18 months unless he goes mad and scores 10-15 next season. No one above Brighton's level is paying 40-50m for someone who'll be 27-28 so I'm curious why they've gone for him when they're pretty well stocked in midfield and over time he'll lose value playing for them.

Can only think they have homegrown player issues coming up.

Of the two I'd be after James more, not even 20 yet yet he's starting most games for Wales now and has 80 games for SHA already so you're talking a player with vast potential if perhaps not the next Bellingham.

6 goals from central midfield aswell so he's only scored three less than KDH in a far far worse team.

He's someone I thought Brighton would be all over.

You dont need to flip every player though. Some players need to stay long haul like a Dunk or Gross

3 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Dewsbury-Hall has always been a player I wanted us to sign. 

"I hope we are buying from the Champions League and not the Championship buy then.

The step up is huge and very few players make it." - GlobalVillan

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

"I hope we are buying from the Champions League and not the Championship buy then.

The step up is huge and very few players make it." - GlobalVillan

He was a Premier League player at the time. I even said I think he was sent off against us las season!

I was also stating I didn't want to buying Championship players in a year from now.

Liking a player LAST YEAR when he was a Premier League player had bugger all to do with anything I said there. 

Your post is ridiculous and misses both those points.

I know you want to pick holes in EVERY post I make because I don't think we will win the title and aren't gonna win every game, but please think about what I've written before attacking yet another post.

Edited by GlobalVillan

38 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

He was a Premier League player at the time. I even said I think he was sent off against us las season!

I was also stating I didn't want to buying Championship players in a year from now.

Liking a player LAST YEAR when he was a Premier League player had bugger all to do with anything I said there. 

Your post is ridiculous and misses both those points.

I know you want to pick holes in EVERY post I make because I don't think we will win the title and aren't gonna win every game, but please think about what I've written before attacking yet another post.

He was in a team that got relegated. What has him getting sent off against us got to do with the price of fish? 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

He was in a team that got relegated. What has him getting sent off against us got to do with the price of fish? 

I said I hoped we aren't signing Championship players next year. You then used an example of a player I liked when he was in the Premier League to try and disprove my point.

Ridiculous.

Please block me and I'll block you. When someone wants to pick at everything you say it's really draining and that's what's happening with my posts. Whatever I post, you are there to try and tear it apart. 

I'll block you now so that I don't have to listen to this nonsense.

I can see the point being made, Dewsbury Hall wasn't that good for Leicester last season. I checked and for Dean Smith's nine games in charge, he was on the bench for seven of them so clearly Dean didn't think he was some essential piece to keep them up. We know how he sees central midfield as the key area of a team and he likes technically competent players in the advanced positions.

He's played very well this season in a team that is miles ahead of anyone else based on talent and experience. He also played very well for Luton so essentially any team buying him would be basing it on his championship performances and then hoping it can be replicated at prem level in more stable environment than Leicester last year.

That said I'd still sign him over Kalvin Phillips if it was a choice of the two!

28 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I said I hoped we aren't signing Championship players next year. You then used an example of a player I liked when he was in the Premier League to try and disprove my point.

Ridiculous.

Please block me and I'll block you. When someone wants to pick at everything you say it's really draining and that's what's happening with my posts. Whatever I post, you are there to try and tear it apart. 

I'll block you now so that I don't have to listen to this nonsense.

The point had nothing at all to do with my statement about buying Championship players A YEAR FROM NOW. 

Additionally, I do not watch the Championship really so my admiration for that player was from his time in the Premier League.

It was just (yet another) dig at one of my posts that I took umbrage with.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Seems slipped through the cracks but Perisic went back to Hajduk Split and will earn £1 a month for the rest of the season

Am assuming Spurs are still picking up his full salary under FFP

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I know nothing about him or even what position he plays. But I am 100% confident we should get involved in this transfer with a view to him replacing Duran as a backup to Watkins.

He is clearly an Ollie Regen

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2pE-RBITGQ/?igsh=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ==

Guaranteed Toney going at the end of the season then. Brentford spending 30m, I'd be surprised if the Toney deal ain't already provisionally done. Arsenal maybe, or Man U??

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I know nothing about him or even what position he plays. But I am 100% confident we should get involved in this transfer with a view to him replacing Duran as a backup to Watkins.

He is clearly an Ollie Regen

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2pE-RBITGQ/?igsh=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ==

Thought he was more or less a done deal to Spurs. Guess it was less... He's supposed to be a fantastic prospect and would have liked us to been involved. The Ollie similarities is uncanny :D 

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Thought he was more or less a done deal to Spurs. Guess it was less... He's supposed to be a fantastic prospect and would have liked us to been involved. The Ollie similarities is uncanny :D 

What, he also goes missing if he don't get any service. 😂

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Spurs in the mud. 

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Crazy money for a teenager, he is very unproven as well. Could turn out brilliant or another Fabio Silva

Fabio Silva, lol. This is a great signing from Brentford. Again.

Nusa is 18. How could he be proven? When do you want him to have proved himself, when he was 17?

Only downside for them is him not being there until the summer.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Only downside for them is him not being there until the summer and not being there in 2 years time 

FTFY

Expecting this to be spurs letting him have a 2 year trial at Brentford before going back for him at double the price without a care in the world  

And I wouldn't be surprised if Brentford see that coming too, the risk for them is that he doesn't hit his CL potential and they can't sell him for big profit, he just becomes a perfectly decent mid table PL player for them... Which let's be honest for Brentford is still a good signing 

All being well for them he's an exciting player that gets them flirting with the top 10 again before they sell him at a big profit and invest in more of the same 

• Like 1