Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

13 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Looking at it, I'd probably say that the exception to that in terms of Anglicised accents would be the Eastern edges of the valleys (Ebbw Vale, Merthyr, Pontypridd etc) where there are fewer Welsh speakers, but still, to my mind, a broad Welsh accent. It probably peters out around Abergavenny, Usk, Monmouth etc. I'd hazard a guess that there's a recent influx of people north of and in and around Newport who work in the Bristol area due to cheap house prices since the tolls on the Severn Bridge were done away with that is probably having an effect on how 'Welsh' that area sounds.

Substantial difference between Blaenavon and Abergavenny accent wise. People from Blaenavon don’t hang around in the peoples co-operative of Waitrose you see

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Substantial difference between Blaenavon and Abergavenny accent wise. People from Blaenavon don’t hang around in the peoples co-operative of Waitrose you see

article-2027433-0AB63E16000005DC-666_634

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I’d suggest there is ‘a’ Welsh accent in the same way there is ‘an’ english accent.

Yeah there were definitely Merthyr words and Aberdare words. Confused the f*** out of the Catholics in Hirwaun because they went to school in Merthyr 

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah there were definitely Merthyr words and Aberdare words. Confused the f*** out of the Catholics in Hirwaun because they went to school in Merthyr 

We've discussed this before, and I still contend that there are broad generic accent 'families' that the untutored ear will group together. 

Obviously, people from the region will spot the variances, but the average 'outsider' will hear what sounds like pretty much the same accent. So, Brummie-Black Country, Geordie-Mackem, Bristol-Devon, etc. I can sometimes tell north (OK northeast) Wales from South Wales, because the former is sometimes tinged with traces of Scouse. But beyond that, it all sounds... Welsh. 

Many Americans seem to think there is this thing called 'the British accent', which seems to be basically cockney/estuary. I once tried playing some very varied English regional accents to an American acquaintance, and he insisted that they all sounded very similar (if somewhat incomprehensible) to his ears. 

Then again, I used to work with a woman who claimed she could only identify accents as 'normal (i.e. Yorkshire)', 'posh' or 'foreign'. She couldn't specifically distinguish what was French, German or Spanish, for example. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

You have this the wrong way around

Oh, for sure, but I think you take my point. I'd also guess that the scouse accent(s) betray a heavy Irish influence. (My Dad was Merseyside Irish, as it happens). 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, for sure, but I think you take my point. I'd also guess that the scouse accent(s) betray a heavy Irish influence. (My Dad was Merseyside Irish, as it happens). 

Irish, North Walean and Lancashire. People often underestimate the Welsh influence, they fixate on the Irish.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Looking at it, I'd probably say that the exception to that in terms of Anglicised accents would be the Eastern edges of the valleys (Ebbw Vale, Merthyr, Pontypridd etc) where there are fewer Welsh speakers, but still, to my mind, a broad Welsh accent. It probably peters out around Abergavenny, Usk, Monmouth etc. I'd hazard a guess that there's a recent influx of people north of and in and around Newport who work in the Bristol area due to cheap house prices since the tolls on the Severn Bridge were done away with that is probably having an effect on how 'Welsh' that area sounds.

Your sense of detail with accent geography -- right down to how bridge tolls could play a part -- is incred!!!!

12 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Your sense of detail with accent geography -- right down to how bridge tolls could play a part -- is incred!!!!

The bridge toll being lifted has had a massive impact.

If the same had happened in the opposite direction, the locals would be burning down the Citizen’s Advice and smashing up Greggs.

• Haha 1

After Sven’s passing, there’s only one living non-Italian manager to win Serie A. Conversely, there’s only one living English manager who’s won the top flight in England. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Conversely, there’s only one living English manager who’s won the top flight in England. 

Last one as well. Crazy to think how long ago it was. Put together a good team... that midfield was superb!

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Last one as well. Crazy to think how long ago it was. Put together a good team... that midfield was superb!

Just had to Google that, great trivia question.

15 hours ago, Rich192 said:

After Sven’s passing, there’s only one living non-Italian manager to win Serie A. Conversely, there’s only one living English manager who’s won the top flight in England. 

That's really quite astonishing

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Without googling, I'm guessing Howard Wilkinson?

Yes in the last season pre Premier League.  Still never won by an Englishman! 

51 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

3% of all the ice at Antarctica is frozen penguin pee.

Penguin fan here. Calling bullshit on this one as if I recall, Penguins don’t pee. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â