Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

The day the Beatles were photographed on the Abbey Road crossing for the iconic photo, was the the same day of the Manson murders in LA.

@bickster isn't sure what the bigger crime was.

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

The day the Beatles were photographed on the Abbey Road crossing for the iconic photo, was the the same day of the Manson murders in LA.

The bigger crime happened in August 1960 at the Jacaranda

(which got a plaque outside today to celebrate their part in the dreadful events of that day)

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

The bigger crime happened in August 1960 at the Jacaranda

(which got a plaque outside today to celebrate their part in the dreadful events of that day)

I thought you were a year or two younger...

:trollface:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Do people near the Marches sound slightly Welsh?

The Radnorshire Welshies round by me sound nothing like them weirdos up North or the odd ones to the South. To be fair I can't understand what the lady in your story was saying, or how, despite the phonetic spellings but the proper Welsh folk have been known to sneer at the Anglicised nature of the middle bit by the Marches. There's loads fewer Welsh language speakers than elsewhere and a much softer accent than most people would recognise as a Welsh accent.

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

The Radnorshire Welshies round by me sound nothing like them weirdos up North or the odd ones to the South. To be fair I can't understand what the lady in your story was saying, or how, despite the phonetic spellings but the proper Welsh folk have been known to sneer at the Anglicised nature of the middle bit by the Marches. There's loads fewer Welsh language speakers than elsewhere and a much softer accent than most people would recognise as a Welsh accent.

She sounded a bit like this. It's bizarre, hearing this, because it sounds a little like my dad, which is probably why I found this woman's voice sort of mesmerising? I think the "eee-KNOW" interruptor was more incidental than I'd imagined. Thanks for letting me "think aloud" here on this. 😉

Would people in this area sound similar?

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 8.13.13 PM.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

21 hours ago, Xela said:

My wife’s 4th birthday

Some say the murders actually took place on the 9th, as they broke in just before midnight but times of death were on the 9th

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I was able to find out today! The ~65-70yo woman I heard is from St. David's. Dunno if she was a Welsh speaker, but her accent didn't have the twang I associate with Welsh speakers using English. Really interesting! @mjmooney

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Leonardo Da Vinci, Christopher Columbus, Henry VIII, Nostradamus, Michaelangelo and Copernicus, all lived at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Leonardo Da Vinci, Christopher Columbus, Henry VIII, Nostradamus, Michaelangelo and Copernicus, all lived at the same time. 

Maya Jama, N3on, The Tamworth Spud Man, Giovani Pernice and Ted from Gone Fishing all alive at the same time. Mind blown. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xela said:

Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, Leon Trotsky and Sigmund Freud - all relatively unknown at the time - were living in the same city (Vienna) in 1913. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, Leon Trotsky and Sigmund Freud - all relatively unknown at the time - were living in the same city (Vienna) in 1913. 

You missed out Tito, he was there too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:
1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

You missed out Tito, he was there too

Not for the last time in history, Tito the least significant of the 5.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Maya Jama, N3on, The Tamworth Spud Man, Giovani Pernice and Ted from Gone Fishing all alive at the same time. Mind blown. 

...and they have the cheek to say we haven't evolved as a species!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I remember reading about that a few years back. Fascinating. 

On 24/08/2024 at 19:21, Marka Ragnos said:

I was able to find out today! The ~65-70yo woman I heard is from St. David's. Dunno if she was a Welsh speaker, but her accent didn't have the twang I associate with Welsh speakers using English. Really interesting! @mjmooney

Not quite 'Little England' but not far away. Wrong side of the Landsker Line.

320px-Welsh_speakers_in_the_2021_census.

It doesn't necessarily equate to Welsh sounding accents or not - and like I said earlier there's much variation between North and South anyway, Cardiff and Swansea are very different sounding and the valleys has it's own twang but the above map showing Welsh speakers in Wales over 3 from wiki is kind of a good guide between the ideas of 'the Welsh bits' and the more Anglicised bits. The only exception to the idea of the more west you go, the more 'Welsh' it is is the south western bit. Maybe that applies here. Maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at it, I'd probably say that the exception to that in terms of Anglicised accents would be the Eastern edges of the valleys (Ebbw Vale, Merthyr, Pontypridd etc) where there are fewer Welsh speakers, but still, to my mind, a broad Welsh accent. It probably peters out around Abergavenny, Usk, Monmouth etc. I'd hazard a guess that there's a recent influx of people north of and in and around Newport who work in the Bristol area due to cheap house prices since the tolls on the Severn Bridge were done away with that is probably having an effect on how 'Welsh' that area sounds.

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â