Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Do you draw curtains open or draw curtains closed -- or both?

Both ... depending whether the curtains have been drawn.

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Do you prefer toward or towards?

I lean toward towards. My spellings etc tend to be British, but after 37 years in North America I do get confused.

This might help

We’ve been at the centre of some sulphurous rancour, but we’re not going to take offence or harbour any grievances. The catalogue of their ill-informed certainties won’t colour this organisation’s programme. 

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Thanks 1

Drawing the curtains are closing them to me.

Not saying I'm right, that's just how I've always interpreted it. If you asked me to draw the curtains and they were already closed I'd be confused

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Do you ever have doubled nostalgias? It's when you're just as nostalgic for something old or a throwback that was already in itself nostalgic or a throwback. It's easy to discover these doubled nostalgias in music, but they're all over the place. Example, I feel real nostalgia for the now sort of faded early 2000s revival of early 80s synth pop. I remember both periods well, and my nostalgias are completely doubled in that I feel it for both things in special ways. But it's with place, too. I feel nostalgia about recent trips to LA where I got that "So. California Feeling" -- but that's a doubled nostalgia for my early childhood experiences in California, which I feel in a very different way, and the older informs the newer one and vice versa.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Tango's famous 90s slogan, 'You know when you've been Tango'd', was performed by legendary jazz poet and singer Gil Scott-Heron.

And his dad played for Celtic. 

2 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Was it televised?

It was, unlike the revolution. For a while anyway.

That ad actually got banned in the end because kids started slapping each other in playgrounds. They did a series of these (increasingly bizarre but none as good as this one) but each ended with Scott-Heron's line 'You know when you've been Tango'd'.

The kiss version of the advert was a reasonable replacement, equally ridiculous, in keeping with the shock of being “Tango’d” and little boys aren’t as likely to try and replicate it on each other.

Around about the same time (?) there was a Babycham advert, which was a parody of doom metal/post apocalyptic imagery. Somebody asks for a Babycham, and it looks like they're going to get lynched, when a massive Mister T-style black dude says: "HEY! ....I'll have a Babycham!" - and everybody relaxes. 

That wasn't a GSH voiceover, was it? 

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Around about the same time (?) there was a Babycham advert, which was a parody of doom metal/post apocalyptic imagery. Somebody asks for a Babycham, and it looks like they're going to get lynched, when a massive Mister T-style black dude says: "HEY! ....I'll have a Babycham!" - and everybody relaxes. 

That wasn't a GSH voiceover, was it? 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep. But I've obviously conflated two different ads in my memory. What was the doom metal thing I was thinking of? 

Edited by mjmooney

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â