Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

The extinct passenger pigeon was the most numerous bird of all time, really upsets me how much we've raped this planet, people shot it to extinction. Here's an interesting fact about the bird. One flock in 1866 in southern Ontario was described as being 1 mi (1.5 km) wide and 300 mi (500 km) long, took 14 hours to pass, and held in excess of 3.5 billion birds

With thanks to the Huff post for these gems of info

A single sperm contains 37.5 MB of DNA information and thus one ejaculation represents a data transfer of 15,875 GB

British spies stopped using semen as invisible ink because it began to smell if it wasn’t fresh

A single human male produces enough sperm in two weeks to impregnate every fertile woman on the planet

The "G-spot" was nearly called the Whipple Tickle- after Professor Beverley Whipple, who coined the expression that we know today

One in ten European babies is conceived in an IKEA bed

Alfred Kinsey, author of Sexual Behavior in the Human Male (1948), could insert a toothbrush into his penis, bristle-end first. :o  :o :o  

When Tom Hanks doesn't have time/can't be bothered to do the voice for Woody from Toy Story, his brother Jim does the voice instead. The video games, and various adverts such as the current 'Toy Story of Terror' one are examples of this.

It is unclear whether Jim Hanks' life will not be complete until he comes to VP, like that of his more famous brother. I actually laughed out loud when I spotted that on the side of the Academy before the Newcastle game btw.

By cross referencing basketball results, weather forecasts and the TV guide with the lyrics in the song, people figured out that the day in Ice Cube's "It was a good day" was Monday January 20th, 1992.  Probably.  (source)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are just over 3,500,000 letters in the Bible, so winning the lotto is the equivalent of picking a precise letter out of 4 Bibles. Winning the Euromillions is the equivalent to doing the same feat in about 32 and a half Bibles!

The average time it takes for my computer at work to load up my profile is around 43 minutes...

I commute 27 miles in less than that. Still it's a top excuse for a coffee break or a paid poo.

Slang is slang for "short language"

O rly?

slang (n.) dictionary.gif

1756, "special vocabulary of tramps or thieves," later "jargon of a particular profession" (1801), of uncertain origin, the usual guess being that it is from a Scandinavian source, cf. Norwegian slengenamn "nickname," slengja kjeften "to abuse with words," literally "to sling the jaw," related to Old Norse slyngva "to sling." But OED, while admitting "some approximation in sense," discounts this connection based on "date and early associations." Liberman also denies it, as well as any connection with French langue (or language or lingo). Rather, he derives it elaborately from an old slang word meaning "narrow piece of land," itself of obscure origin. Century Dictionary says "there is no evidence to establish a Gipsy origin." Sense of "very informal language characterized by vividness and novelty" first recorded 1818.

lang is a conscious offence against some conventional standard of propriety. A mere vulgarism is not slang, except when it is purposely adopted, and acquires an artificial currency, among some class of persons to whom it is not native. The other distinctive feature of slang is that it is neither part of the ordinary language, nor an attempt to supply its deficiencies. The slang word is a deliberate substitute for a word of the vernacular, just as the characters of a cipher are substitutes for the letters of the alphabet, or as a nickname is a substitute for a personal name. [Henry Bradley, from "Slang," in "Encyclopedia Britannica," 11th ed.]

A word that ought to have survived is slangwhanger (1807, American English) "noisy or abusive talker or writer."

Link

Edited by mjmooney

If we can get cretinous words into the dictionary and if we can change the meaning of other perfectly cromulent words then we can certainly get slangwhanger back in there too.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â