Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

Well now I just feel honoured. When I stare at my mum's crotch in future, it will be with a sense of pride.

Your one step away from beating Morpheus in the confessions thread here

surely if there was a tactical advantage to be gained by covering one eye when going from one deck to another, why was this technique not employed by the Royal Navies of England, Spain or France? These fleets engaged in far more battles than pirates

How many naval battles of the era were based on boarding the enemy ship, as opposed to blowing her into submission with cannon?

Not really either/or. The blasting was necessary to take down masts, etc., but nobody really wanted to sink enemy ships, as there was prize money to be had by boarding and capturing them. 

I'm annoyed that my brilliant pirate fact has got lost in all this revolution talk!

I'm annoyed that my brilliant pirate fact joke has got lost in all this post-revolution talk.

Have you got Pirate Memory Game? 

• Like 1

surely if there was a tactical advantage to be gained by covering one eye when going from one deck to another, why was this technique not employed by the Royal Navies of England, Spain or France? These fleets engaged in far more battles than pirates

How many naval battles of the era were based on boarding the enemy ship, as opposed to blowing her into submission with cannon?

You not read your history books :) .... Nelson was shot by a musket as the surrender monkey crew from redoubtable tried to board the victory during the battle of trafalgar .. Indeed the English fleet captured over 20 ships during that battle

• 3 weeks later...

The universe is bigger and getting bigger as far as I know ?

I think that depends on how you interpret it. My understanding of it is that everything in the universe is getting further apart from everything else, but there is no "edge" to the universe.

There's no edge to space that we know of, though it's inconceivable to me that it goes on forever. Perhaps it reaches a point where there's just nothing. Properly nothing.

This universe at least is finite and measurable. 

It depends though, doesn't it?  If the universe means "everything" then it is everything. It can't have an edge.  I think the most widely held view is that the universe just loops back into itself in some way (perhaps like a mobius strip) so if you went off the edge at one side you would simply appear on the other, just like in Pacman. 

Or we could all just exist inside a computer simulation.  We have no way of knowing for sure that is not the case. 

In short:  It's complicated. 

• Like 2

David Beckham was born in Whipps Cross Hospital.

Damn. If only my mother had had the sense to check into Very Very Rich And Irresistable To Women Hospital.

• Like 1

It depends though, doesn't it?  If the universe means "everything" then it is everything. It can't have an edge.  I think the most widely held view is that the universe just loops back into itself in some way (perhaps like a mobius strip) so if you went off the edge at one side you would simply appear on the other, just like in Pacman.

Isn't it better compared to a balloon, where the matter of the universe is on the surface of the balloon? As it gets bigger the fabric is stretched and everything moves further apart from everything. I'm sure I've seen that on TV so it must be true.

Some other piece of useless info. The Andromeda galaxy is one of few galaxies not moving away from us and it's heading in the direction of the Milky Way at a speed of about 2-2.5 billion miles pr year. If our galaxy collide with it (about 4 billion years into the future) you would think it would be absolute carnage with billions and billions of stars and planets on collision course, but the chances of collisions is actually quite small, due to the large amount of empty space between objects. A more likely scenario is that our solar system is ejected in the process as its a fair way out on the edge.

Edited by tarjei

The reason the other galaxys are moving away from us is because they do not want to get mixed up in wars,drugs,relegion etc etc ( all the things we are good at ) 

Life on those galaxys is far in advance of us and they are thinking " **** that, lets get as far away from earth as we can"

Because in American English it's now acceptable (ugh...) to eliminate the "who/which" separating clauses so you could have

"Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo" -> American bison bamboozle fellow members of their species who in turn bamboozle other fellow members of their species.

You could thus create arbitrarily long sentences of 5+2n buffalo and if you've got any other extra buffalo lying around, you can then either use it as an adjective ("from a city in upstate New York") or as a command to engage in bamboozlement.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â