Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

I think the sentiment is still true.

The revolution will not be televised. You will not have your revolution played for your convenience on the TV. It has to happen to you, in you, to include you.

Pirates wore eyepatches so that one eye was always adjusted to darkness.

That way when they went below deck of a ship they'd boarded they could switch the eye patch over and immediately be able to see through one eye, rather than having to wait for their eyes to adjust.

Okay then, explain the wooden leg...

Your pirate thing sounds like a myth.

I don't think it is (although similarly I'm not sure it's provable)

It was in the Wall Street Journal written by a University professor/eye doctor though so sounds fairly legit

Re- Designer1's fastest swimmer badge. It's never the first sperm to the egg that fertilises it. The wall of the egg defends it and requires being worn down. The first sperms to get there die in the attempt. Therefore we were all runner-up in our first ever swimming race.

I'm annoyed that my brilliant pirate fact has got lost in all this revolution talk!

I remember they did a bit about that on Mythbusters. After testing they found it to be true (that wearing an eyepatch helped quickly adjusting to darkness) but I don't think they gave it more than a rating of plausible.

Wow, what an episode that must have been. It's not a myth that your eyes adjust to being able to see better in low levels of light, that's scientific fact. Never done the trick of facing a mirror, covering your eyes for a few seconds and then uncovering them and watching your pupils dilate?

Sure, but I didn't know all the reason why and I doubt many would know. The pupils dilating has only a little effect. That just let's it slightly more light. It's the rod cells in the eyes that switches after 20-30 min + of darkness, increasing light sensitivity.

You can compare it to a camera. Opening up the aperture would be similar to dilating the pupils, i.e. that you go from f2.8 to f1.4 equals twice as much light, but the rods cells in the eyes can be compared to the ISO of a film/sensor. I.e. going from 100 to to 6400 ISO absorbs six times the amount of light.

Anyways, they made a course with obstacles, put on funny hats ans spoke pirate, so it was mildly entertaining.

Pirates wore eyepatches so that one eye was always adjusted to darkness.

That way when they went below deck of a ship they'd boarded they could switch the eye patch over and immediately be able to see through one eye, rather than having to wait for their eyes to adjust.

I think this was proven to be a fact on Mythbusters wasn't it?

EDIT: It seems I was already beaten to that.

Edited by kurtsimonw

I'm annoyed that my brilliant pirate fact has got lost in all this revolution talk!

I think you may  find outside of Hollywood pirates didn't wear eye patches

surely if there was a tactical advantage to be gained by covering one eye when going from one deck to another, why was this technique not employed by the Royal Navies of England, Spain or France? These fleets engaged in far more battles than pirates

research on  a listing of 281 real life pirates from the ancient Grecian-Roman times until the 21st century ( Granted, some of the information is spotty ) found  that only one of those pirates had been reported as wearing an eye patch. None of the more prominent ones, including the names that everyone knows; Calico Jack, Black Bart, Blackbeard, Red Beard, Captain Morgan, etc.

The only pirate being recorded as having worn an eye patch is Rahmah ibn Jabir al-Jalahimah, an Arab pirate who sailed in the 1800's. He mostly sailed in the Persian Gulf and was described by an English author as "the most successful and the most generally tolerated pirate, perhaps, that ever infest any sea."

Edited by tonyh29

Re- Designer1's fastest swimmer badge. It's never the first sperm to the egg that fertilises it. The wall of the egg defends it and requires being worn down. The first sperms to get there die in the attempt. Therefore we were all runner-up in our first ever swimming race.

There's also a fair amount of evidence that suggests that the egg effectively picks the sperm which fertilizes it.

surely if there was a tactical advantage to be gained by covering one eye when going from one deck to another, why was this technique not employed by the Royal Navies of England, Spain or France? These fleets engaged in far more battles than pirates

How many naval battles of the era were based on boarding the enemy ship, as opposed to blowing her into submission with cannon?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â