Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

9 hours ago, blandy said:

Seagulls don’t exist. There’s no such critter.

Well yes, they're just gulls. Even as a colloquial term, 'seagulls' would only make sense if there were such things as land gulls. 

10 hours ago, blandy said:

Seagulls don’t exist. There’s no such critter.

After COVID they became city gulls or bin gulls.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

they're just gulls

They’re not even “just gulls”. The ones people call seagulls are usually Herring gulls, though lesser black backed gulls, great black backed gulls, common gulls and, er, some other ones also knock about these parts. Perhaps a topic for the boring thread, though.

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

They’re not even “just gulls”. The ones people call seagulls are usually Herring gulls, though lesser black backed gulls, great black backed gulls, common gulls and, er, some other ones also knock about these parts. Perhaps a topic for the boring thread, though.

Genus: cont y sglodion

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, blandy said:

They are all f***ing chip stealers, It is thought that even these creatures don't like gravy on fish though :D 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

They are all f***ing chip stealers, It is thought that even these creatures don't like gravy on fish though :D 

We have a kids' book that has a picture of a gull swooping down and snatching a full ice cream cone out of someone's hand. I thought that was an exaggeration, but it literally happened to a friend of mine recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Except for the ones with a more refined pallet 🐟

• Haha 1

This is very cool. I never knew there were different pitch markings before the ones we know today. Hehe it looks like boobs.

Spoiler
teehee-excited.gif

This is the 1902 F.A. Cup final-replay between Sheffield United and Southampton, at Crystal Palace. It was the last final to be played with Victorian pitch markings. The six-yard-box, we know today, consisted of two semi-circles. Penalties were taken from anywhere along the solid white 12-yard line. The remaining players had to stand behind the intermittent white line as the kick was taken. Here is Billy Barnes scoring the winning goal, in a 2-1 victory, for Sheffield United (Att: 33,068).

450402739_467942169184046_15097038472818

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is very cool. I never knew there were different pitch markings before the ones we know today. Hehe it looks like boobs.

Reveal hidden contents

Also seems to be pre the invention of the goal net (1889)

The goal net was invented by John Alexander Brodie, who history keeps remembering as the bloke that built the Mersey Tunnel. John Brodie was more proud of inventing the goal net

I know this because a blue plaque appeared on a house I used to live in

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the late 1700s and early 1800s people of wealth would like family potraits. Now for artists the price depended not only on their skill but also on the time for the detail. So a facial portrait was one price. If you wanted a bust that was more. If you wanted the whole body that was going to cost you an arm and a leg.

On 03/07/2024 at 09:47, BOF said:

After COVID they became city gulls or bin gulls.

Birmingham has had city gulls for as long as I can remember (for the avoidance of doubt this is pre covid). Think I even called them land gulls when I was younger. 

7 hours ago, colhint said:

The phrase method in the madness comes entirely from hamlet.

Literally hundreds of English idioms still in everyday use were coined (or at least first recorded) by Shakespeare. 

• Like 1

There’s quite a few that are just from Hamlet. Either derived from or made popular by Hamlet.

The lady protests too much, me thinks.

To thine own self be true.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Hair to stand on end.

Woe is me.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Murder most foul.

What a piece of work (is man).

…dog will have his day.

Good night sweet prince.

One of Drake's tactics was to place his ships upwind of his target. By blocking the wind he left them motionless and easy to attack. He just took the wind out of their sails.

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There’s quite a few that are just from Hamlet. Either derived from or made popular by Hamlet.

The lady protests too much, me thinks.

To thine own self be true.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Hair to stand on end.

Woe is me.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Murder most foul.

What a piece of work (is man).

…dog will have his day.

Good night sweet prince.

No-one says most of those ya **** Doyle. ;)

And isn't it "every dog has his day"?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â