Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

58 in Danish

Otteoghalvtreds

This translates as :
Otteo = 8 (that's the easy bit done)
The g just links things together
halvtreds literally means 'half third' which is itself an abbrevation of halvtredsindstyve
which means 'half thrice' times twenty (still not making sense)
Half thrice works like a Roman numeral
It literally means a half from 3, which is 2 and a half
So halvtredsindstyve gives us (half from 3) times twenty
2.5 x 20 which equals 50

So there you have it, eight plus half thrice (two and a half) times twenty = 58

But the actual word they use for 58 means eight half third.

Seemples!

Bloody nutcases

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

The system is built on a 'tjog' or a as I found in English a score. Which is 20. So treds is 3 scores=60 and halvtreds is 50. Firs is 80 and halvfirs is 70. Yes it's weird.

But 3 is 'tre' and 4 is 'fire'

and by the way; Otte is 8 and 'og' is 'and'. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

The system is built on a 'tjog' or a as I found in English a score. Which is 20. So treds is 3 scores=60 and halvtreds is 50. Firs is 80 and halvfirs is 70. Yes it's weird.

Like the French for 80 being quatre-vingts. But oddly, not used for other multiples of 20. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Like the French for 80 being quatre-vingts. But oddly, not used for other multiples of 20. 

But the French use the words. The Danes just remove half of the important bit, use a bit of Roman logic and some imperial :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

I live way too close to that lot, F me!!! 😬

18 hours ago, bickster said:

Johnny Cash was the first person outside of the Soviet Union to know about the death of Stalin

Did you know that one @Seat68?

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I did, through his airforce work. He was a telegram operator and also intercepted Morse code. It was via the latter he learned of Stalin's death. He was stationed in Germany at the time. Also where he started to take music a little seriously. 

I’m might be being a bit pedantic here but I’m sure how accurate that claim is , he might have copied the morse code but I don’t think he would have understood it as he didn’t speak Russian and it would surely also have been encrypted?  
so the person who translated his intercept would have been the first wouldnt they ?

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m might be being a bit pedantic here but I’m sure how accurate that claim is , he might have copied the morse code but I don’t think he would have understood it as he didn’t speak Russian and it would surely also have been encrypted?  
so the person who translated his intercept would have been the first wouldnt they ?

Sorry my fault, the claim is hear not know. he was the first to hear it

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It's a fair ask. This is what I recall, Stalin was very ill so they knew what they were listening out for, Cash had been intercepting Russian messages for some time and so although not fluent in Russian was adept at picking out bare bones. Stalin dead were the bare bones or words to that effect and the remainder as all the messages were relayed to his superiors. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Tis a cheery tweet but probably more apposite in here.

Sorry but I'm calling that out as bollocks

Just a Google maps screeny of a new development by where I live on what I would describe as a typical new housing estate

If those houses are 21 meters apart I'll eat something I don't like

Hell they have even started building terraced houses again

houses.png

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Sorry but I'm calling that out as bollocks

Just a Google maps screeny of a new development by where I live on what I would describe as a typical new housing estate

If those houses are 21 meters apart I'll eat something I don't like

Hell they have even started building terraced houses again

houses.png

Did you notice this bit?

in many parts of the UK, homes that face each other at the rear are required to be built 21 metres apart

Sorry, I’m not having a pick on @bicksterday, honest

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

Did you notice this bit?

Sorry, I’m not having a pick on @bicksterday, honest

Have a look at that photo again and notice how close the corner house is to the one in the next street. 2 meters tops or is this silly regulation only meant for houses whose rears are exactly parallel to each other. It clearly has no rear windows but the pedant in me says that isn't what the tweet is claiming

Pedantic as ever :D

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â