Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Apparently in America they don't have electric kettles. 

I mean WTF? Apparently they boil water on the stove like it's the 1950's or summat. 

This is because they don't drink proper tea. 

However, it would also suggest that they don't drink instant coffee, so I'll give them a pass. 

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is because they don't drink proper tea. 

However, it would also suggest that they don't drink instant coffee, so I'll give them a pass. 

They don't drink much tea (apparently it used to be considered unpatriotic, Boston and all that) but also their voltage is much lower so electric kettles take far longer to boil than in Europe....so I understand from research I did after discovering this useless fact. 

Edited by sidcow

My daughter used to drink a lot of tea and we did buy an electric kettle, but it's way down the list of prioritization for kitchen space and is now stowed away.

Have you all seen this clever tea infuser, the Manatea?

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, il_serpente said:

My daughter used to drink a lot of tea and we did buy an electric kettle, but it's way down the list of prioritization for kitchen space and is now stowed away.

Have you all seen this clever tea infuser, the Manatea?

spacer.png

I've got their "Deep Tea Diver" (with a weighted canister in case you're trying to infuse a thermos flask I guess), their "Mr. Tea" one (with his holey trousers) looks like he's enjoying a wee into your cup (though my tendency to brew fruity herbal numbers would make that an even more unpleasant sight)

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Apparently in America they don't have electric kettles. 

I mean WTF? Apparently they boil water on the stove like it's the 1950's or summat. 

They don't have squash either.  It's no wonder that as a nation they are all completely bonkers. 

I expect God has told them that squash and kettles are evil or something and people armed with high powered assault rifles stand outside shops waiting to terminate people who buy them. 

They definitely don't have squash. Not widespread anyway. I work for an American company so we have lots of Americans coming over and I was good friends with one. He had no idea what squash was. The closest thing he knew of was kool aid (as in a powder you add water to to get juice).

He did have a kettle though, but said they weren't very popular.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They definitely don't have squash. Not widespread anyway. I work for an American company so we have lots of Americans coming over and I was good friends with one. He had no idea what squash was. The closest thing he knew of was kool aid (as in a powder you add water to to get juice).

Squash is definitely a niche sport here, generally associated with old money upper classes and Ivy League types.   I went to college in the northeast and knew some people who played and they had courts at our gym.   They also had them at the University of Washington in Seattle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On the squash thing, isn’t it because most of their “fruit drinks” are basically pre-made squash? Stuff like Sunny Delight.

2 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I genuinely thought @Stevo985 (did @Seat68 recommend his user name btw?) was referring to the sport.   Had to mooney it when I saw the laughing responses.   WTAF do you do with squash?

Tends to be the drink you go to bed with, or the drink you give to kids. Not jesus juice, just to be clear. Dilute to taste we used to call it as kids. 

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Squash is definitely a niche sport here, generally associated with old money upper classes and Ivy League types.   I went to college in the northeast and knew some people who played and they had courts at our gym.   They also had them at the University of Washington in Seattle.

I thought they were massive over there at Halloween? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

I genuinely thought @Stevo985 (did @Seat68 recommend his user name btw?) was referring to the sport.   Had to mooney it when I saw the laughing responses.   WTAF do you do with squash?

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

AKA cordial. Dilute with water and drink it. Robinsons Lemon Barley Water. Ribena. Countless orange variants. 

Ribena is surely the king of squash.  Absolute Royalty. When I was a kid you only got Ribena when you were ill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

On the squash thing, isn’t it because most of their “fruit drinks” are basically pre-made squash? Stuff like Sunny Delight.

Sunny delight ain’t no squash, it’s made from pure nuclear waste.

Not that it stopped me from caning it as a kid 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sunny delight ain’t no squash, it’s made from pure nuclear waste.

Not that it stopped me from caning it as a kid 

Explains a lot ;) 

I just remember it was almost neon in colour! 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â