Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

I did the salt shaker joke on my mother last night without properly thinking out the consequences, it sent shivers down my spine

She's sucked your dad's cock. Thick about that for a while.

I did the salt shaker joke on my mother last night without properly thinking out the consequences, it sent shivers down my spine

She's sucked your dad's cock. Thick about that for a while.

Subtle!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did you know that the only German phrase Top Gear's James May knows is: Aber ja, natürlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall?

as he once said to Clarkson on an episode of Top Gear  when they were at a caravan site that he compared to a concentration camp  "remember work makes you free  "

I'm calling bluff on that one

Time's Person of the Year is really just someone who made an obvious impact, good or bad, that year, which is why you get Hitler and co. That is their justifcation for it anyway. I'm not sure if slapping 'Person of the Year' over a dictator does anything other than give them propaganda.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Time's Person of the Year

Milley Cyrus is currently leading the online poll for this years winner

I think that says all you need to know about this award  ... i've filed it in my brain  under "US bullshit to ignore "

Edited by tonyh29

Following on from the Boris stuff in the ConDem thread...

In a rousing attempt to capture the spirit of the former prime minister, Boris Johnson delivered the keynote speech at the annual Margaret Thatcher lecture last night. In it, he sought to justify his belief that inequality could be desirable "for the spirit of envy and keeping up with the Joneses" by claiming that inequality is inevitable. Why? Because of differences in our IQ.

Muted laughter followed. He then turned his attention to the 2% of the population who have an IQ above 130. We check those numbers.

Whatever you may think of the value of IQ tests it is surely relevant to a conversation about equality that as many as 16% of our species have an IQ below 85 … Over 16% anyone? Put up your hands.

Which test was he referring to?

An intelligence quotient (IQ) score below 85 doesn't mean much unless you know which measure of intelligence is being used. Dozens of different IQ tests, each with their own scoring systems have been developed over the years and there is no single definitive go-to measure. 

For example, Mensa (the high IQ society) will accept the following scores on each of these exams to become a member. 

• Cattell III B - 148
  • Culture Fair - 132
  • Ravens Advanced Matrices - 135
  • Ravens Standard Matrices - 131
  • Wechsler Scales - 132

Mensa claims that their members have IQs that put them in the top 2% of the population. So, if Johnson was talking about the Cattell IIIB exam when he referred to the 2% with an IQ over 130, it's already clear that he got his numbers wrong. 

This isn't the first time that the London mayor has come under fire about IQ scores. While he was editor of the Spectator magazine, one columnist wrote: "Orientals ... have larger brains and higher IQ scores. Blacks are at the other pole". Johnson subsequently apologised for the publication. 

IQ studies

Why stop there though when it comes to making rash IQ claims? Once you start to dig into the raft of studies, most of which point in opposite directions, the findings are quite remarkable. Here are just a few we've come across. Do let us know in the comments below which ones you're particularly interested in:

• A review of 63 scientific studies concluded that religious people are less intelligent than atheists.
  • IQ tests measure motivation as well as intelligence - those who are less motivated to get a high score will not perform as well.
  • IQ test scores in childhood are linked to class mobility in adulthood - and that's consistent across all social classes.
  • Attending meetings can lower an individuals IQ score significantly - looking at MRI scans revealed that women were particularly affected

Sources for the above: 

We'll continue to update this post with more findings as the day goes on...

Do Americans have lower scores than Brits? Does it matter? (update 1)

In 2002, two doctors - one from Ireland, the other from Finland - published IQ and the Wealth of Nations. The authors claimed that the two parts of their book title were intricately related i.e. the key factor for explaining differences in wealth between countries was the difference in their populations' IQs. 

They took the average IQ scores in 81 different countries, then used an IQ score of 100 in Britain as a benchmark for making comparisons. North America and Australia had a score of 98 and the world average was 90.

Here's a demonstration of how their correlation works out:

IQ.jpg

Looks persuasive doesn't it? But as Steve Sailer points out, there are several issues here. The researchers calculated each country's IQ average using a variety of different national studies. Each of them had a different number of participants, a different methodology and were conducted in a different year - that's particularly problematic as IQ appears to increase over time (known as the Flynn effect).

Edited by mjmooney

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â