The Lower Grounds Matchday experience

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah that was the one they used.

On the lower grounds thing, I suspect that it was planned some time ago and they used an excuse about a water leak or whatever it was to kind of hide it. It doesn't seem like a spur of the minute thing "Ooh look, there's a water leak, why don't we turn the Holte Suite into another corporate style add-on" seems very unlikely. 

Yeah things are seeming a bit sneaky, like the water leak and the hiding of the Everton attendance. If they were upfront about things it would come across better. 

34 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Shocking if this is true.

Those empty seats were weird. Definitely reserved blocks for something. But surely nothing to do with The Lower Grounds. The entrance to that doesn't come with a ticket does it?  The fee in just covers you to enter the area and have free food and drink. 

It does smack of a corporate failure somewhere though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Those empty seats were weird. Definitely reserved blocks for something. But surely nothing to do with The Lower Grounds. The entrance to that doesn't come with a ticket does it?  The fee in just covers you to enter the area and have free food and drink. 

It does smack of a corporate failure somewhere though. 

I thought you did get a ticket and that is why it was £60 rather than £120 for season ticket holders. 

• Like 1

Yeah I heard the seats were reserved from people chatting in the Holte End before the game for the new thing and so I was a bit shocked when they stayed fairly empty as the crowd filled the stadium up.

Edited by nick76

Did anyone else hear the booing when they promoted it at half time (or possibly before game)?! Pretty funny to be fair!!

Contradictory as it is, I was half considering upgrading my ST as a one off for my birthday in November, doesn't look like Im going to get much of an idea of what it's like before then. 

Is it performing even worse than the Terrace?! Villa have race forward with corporate and hospitality before our success really warrants that kind of fandom from the 'day experience' fan.

Edited by jackbauer24
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

Did anyone else hear the booing when they promoted it at half time (or possibly before game)?! Pretty funny to be fair!!

Contradictory as it is, I was half considering upgrading my ST as a one off for my birthday in November, doesn't look like Im going to get much of an idea of what it's like before then. 

Is it performing even worse than the Terrace?! Villa have race forward with corporate and hospitality before our success really warrants that kind of fandom from the 'day experience' fan.

I think it’s damn fine for special occasions

5 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I think the terrace view does alright, apart from cup games . This on the other hand is leaving blocks of hundreds of seats unsold. 

Christ. Sounds like they've REALLY misunderstood the appetite for something like this. 

They've spent all that money and ended up with a big empty room, empty seats in a stand that 100% would have sold out and presumably had to chuck away a load of food. 

Not to mention the lost beer sales the old Holte Suite used to get through. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

On the lower grounds thing, I suspect that it was planned some time ago and they used an excuse about a water leak or whatever it was to kind of hide it. It doesn't seem like a spur of the minute thing "Ooh look, there's a water leak, why don't we turn the Holte Suite into another corporate style add-on" seems very unlikely. 

I think they had it in mind as a future project, but the damage done in the construction of the Terrace View meant that they'd need to spend some money on it in order to get it fit to open, so rather than spend that money on repairs and then spend that money again in the future making it into a hospitality place they decided to take the opportunity to go early. In doing that, they've left confusing messages on communication when it was closed at the start of the season, no real time to refine the offer and a very limited time to promote and sell it. They'll probably see that as an opportunity taken with teething troubles.

As a special occasion facility it'll probably be quite good - the need to do something to recognise the effects of this and the Terrace view on regular Holte Enders though is massive - a big cloud over the current corporate management team. If they care about regular fans, they need to do something for normal Holte Enders pretty sharpish.

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

40600 the attendance . If Brighton sold out which they probably did, then that’s over 1000 empty seats . Isn’t the lower ground holte end? 

The number of seats in the stadium and the capacity for premier league games are not the same. The capacity is just shy of 42000 I think. Was just over, last season, but some seats have been lost to facilities for wheelchair users.  When you exclude the “no view” seats in the corner of the lower Holte, segregation seating, seats just by the dugout…that brings it all down to the 42k, so the empty spaces in those 2 blocks were the bulk of the unused seating today.

It’s all been badly implemented and badly handled, IMO.  It is probably necessary, given the way the league is going and the new FFP rules, but at the moment the club’s messaging and communication leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think the terrace view does alright, apart from cup games . This on the other hand is leaving blocks of hundreds of seats unsold. 

But there were plenty of season ticket holder returns available when I checked.  This initiative hasn’t stopped anyone going to the game today.