January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

4 hours ago, RichW said:

Not sure how you can say the highlighted bit tbh. Big big difference between balancing the league with Champions League and Europa Conference league. Emery won't be resting players for Champions League matches.

We will just have to wait and see how the fixture list turns out but not sure how you could suggest we can balance it better then they have. I do agree though that qualifying for the Champions League should help the club make a big money signing in the summer (if they choose to) without selling a key player.

Newcastle had maybe the 9th best squad overall (many of whom overperformed last season) and Eddie Howe flogged 'em to death playing 100mph football so no wonder they can't sustain things with the extra games. Conversely, I'd say we have the 6-7th best squad, a manager who is well-versed in juggling Europe with the league and a play style that is more sustainable over long periods. I'd back us to handle things better than Newcastle did.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Newcastle had maybe the 9th best squad overall (many of whom overperformed last season) and Eddie Howe flogged 'em to death playing 100mph football so no wonder they can't sustain things with the extra games. Conversely, I'd say we have the 6-7th best squad, a manager who is well-versed in juggling Europe with the league and a play style that is more sustainable over long periods. I'd back us to handle things better than Newcastle did.

As would I 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I know, I go on about height.....in certain positions is the caveat, my critics conveniently leave out.

I would love Netto or Jota.

Every team should have nearly half the team that is fairly tall for practical reasons 

• Like 1

Said it previously it looks like we are following the red bull model with FC Liefering / Real Union - Vitoria / RB Salzburg feeding into Villa / Leipzig … Then you have the strategic partnerships and Senegalese academy.  

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This I agree with. I do think we can sustain it, but we absolutely have to make the CL this season. The summer will be very exciting if we do. I only think we’d need a couple of players but we’d go after top quality. 

Yes agreed it's vital we get CL this season, as traditional big 6 like Chelsea/ Man U or even Spurs are in transition this season. Will be even harder next season when they find their feet, with their higher income 

Currently I don’t feel Villa have a good enough squad to claim a CL place. It’s therefore so important for Villa to strengthen this month!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Said it previously it looks like we are following the red bull model with FC Liefering / Real Union - Vitoria / RB Salzburg feeding into Villa / Leipzig … Then you have the strategic partnerships and Senegalese academy.  

Dont see why when we already have a strategic partnership with the Craig Butler Academy

8 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Yes agreed it's vital we get CL this season, as traditional big 6 like Chelsea/ Man U or even Spurs are in transition this season. Will be even harder next season when they find their feet, with their higher income 

It's also great to keep as many of the "big 6" out of the CL for as long as possible to damage their income and reputation globally.  It's a double whammy competitively going forward

41 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wonder if Vitoria scouts Angolan players, with Angola having been Portugal's primary colony in Africa? Would be nice if we had an inside view on the next Eusebio...

12 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

With Donk looking like he is departing - is this clearing the way for Smith-Rowe?

I think if anything - it marks Rodgers coming fulfilling the one in/one out policy as well as bringing in someone with lower wages.

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I wonder if Vitoria scouts Angolan players, with Angola having been Portugal's primary colony in Africa? Would be nice if we had an inside view on the next Eusebio...

Benfica already have a feeder team there

though Eusebio was from Mozambique

New DM on the way? We needed one anyway, but with Dendoncker going it’s even more essential…

Could be an exciting signing upcoming…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1