January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

5 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

I honestly don't think he's anywhere near mid prem standard, especially with the lack of game time.

For example, if he'd started against Boro I would have been nervous.

Think a promotion chasing championship team might be a good next step if he can find one.

Yeah I think even the relegation candidate teams would struggle to hide Chambers's lack of physical attributes these days.  I guess Iroegbunam is the next most likely player we could sell to get profit on the books.  Could we get £10m for him, then Unai could find a right back?  

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah I think even the relegation candidate teams would struggle to hide Chambers's lack of physical attributes these days.  I guess Iroegbunam is the next most likely player we could sell to get profit on the books.  Could we get £10m for him, then Unai could find a right back?  

I did see a report, a while back, that we intended to do a buyback deal for Tim aswell and around that price too, apparently his injury scuppered that idea…

Edited by Jas10

8 hours ago, Jas10 said:

FFP is such a pain in the ass…

It's good. Otherwise Newcastle and City would dominate the league. Football was childish for too long not having any kind of salary cap 

Yep it's going to be tough in Jan, though I reckon someone will take Chambers and maybe one or two others, lots of desperate teams willing to gamble. If we get anyone in it'll be at the end of the window. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's good. Otherwise Newcastle and City would dominate the league. Football was childish for too long not having any kind of salary cap 

City have dominated the league.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, useless said:

We're not signing Phillips, he's not good enough to get in our team ahead of Kamara or Luiz, and he's not going to leave Man City bench, just to sit on the bench of another team, he will want to go somwhere where he gets a guarantee of first team football.

Also we won't be signing a midfielder at all unless Dendoncker leaves, Emery said today no players coming in without one going out.

And the sale of Chambers and Traore if they happen, won't lead to first team players for this season, so it's not like letting even one of them go will allow us to bring in a big name for the squad, Emery said their replacements if they happen won't be relevant yet, as I said, by which I think he means young project players.

CC and BT were on the outer limits of the squad, so don't need replacing with players that are going to come straight into the team, or even be second choice, so younger options are the logical replacements for them, I guess similar profile to Duran as he was when we first signed him

Well, there you have it. Emery has spoken.

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

The problem is, we haven’t been clever in terms of the wages/contracts we’ve handed to players in the past and other clubs can’t afford to offer them anything comparable… I think that’s the main sticking point and problem… that’s why see or hear about so many loan offers too where we are still paying a portion…

Some players are happy to sit on a decent wage that they can’t really get anywhere else and most of the clubs who’d be interested can’t offer them comparable or appealing wages to make that permanent move…

I bet we didn't give Chambers the Digne wages? Bertie joined us when we were being more frugal. A team looking for promotion from the championship should be screaming out for a Bertie;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zero7 said:

my quote was a copy and paste directly from the beeb

Yes and what I'm saying is that the BBC mis heard him and wrote the wrong text.

What he said is on Villa TV and the Birmingham Mail have the correct quote. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I bet we didn't give Chambers the Digne wages? Bertie joined us when we were being more frugal. A team looking for promotion from the championship should be screaming out for a Bertie;)

Oh they won’t be comparable to Digne’s wages but they are overpaid reserves too…

Ideally, you want your better players on significant wages and no one basically stealing a living by sitting on the bench or treatment table…

Quick look, though you can’t totally trust the random/varying figures online,

Chambers £57k pw

Traore 78k pw

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I'm on board the promote Bertie train - this guy gave us some serious goals, inconsistent for sure, but great option for a team needing to roll the dice. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

may be right, may be wrong, but i have read in more than one place that Troare is on something like 70/80k p/w.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

City have dominated the league for last 10 years, same as utd for 20 years before that and Liverpool the 20 before that.  They all spent the most money in them years.  Nothing had changed with introductions of ffp

43 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Absolutely don't want this to happen but realistically who's got £120 million to spend without breaking FFP?

Yep i agree.  Always worried that City or Liverpool pull a trick out of their bag if we get too close to them consistently.  Buy best players from teams up and coming.

Edited by nick76

41 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Agree and disagree

In theory FFP is pure protectionism, there is more chance that a mad cap billionaire buys Aston villa and buys mbappe then there ever is of us having higher revenue than man utd 

In reality man utd are **** atrociously ran so we are better than them, our £400m squad should not be competing with their £1bn+ squad but it is and then some

Man city are the best of both, they have billions to chuck at the team and are brilliantly ran so no one can touch them, the rest of it is incompetence, we can be a better football team than man utd and Chelsea because they are incompetent, if they sort their shit out they'll go back to the top (look at Arsenal now) that's the only thing stopping it from being the closed shop that FFP should create 

As Leicester showed though we will still never catch them in terms of revenue and spending power, it's not sustainable due to the advantages they already have

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

City have dominated the league for last 10 years, same as utd for 20 years before that and Liverpool the 20 before that.  They all spent the most money in them years.  Nothing had changed with introductions of ffp

Except how to skirt the rules and

A. Not get away with it like Everton

and

B. Get away with it like Man City