January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

23 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Anderson is genuine competition and is also free in a position we don't have particular depth, and will be coming in next season not in Jan. If we don't sign Zaniolo it's like for like replacement. 

Ok mate, fair enough. You’re likely more knowledgeable on this than me anyway.

Regarding depth or options, I’ve already outlined my view on that and the players we already have in a previous post. As well as how Unai sets us up.

No such things as “free” either really, sign on fees, agent fees and big wages/demands for players out of contract… another older player on big wages is going to eventually be another problem/burden that we will struggle to shift again… the Digne scenario keeps cropping up btw… struggled to get rid of Coutinho etc. etc.

I would think we would avoid those situations in future…

As we are on a forum, I’m just sharing my unimportant and irrelevant opinions and thoughts 😆

None of us know the truth or facts…

Just my own view, I certainly wouldn’t be against it if this is actually what Unai wants - he is the man!!

Not convinced by the story or link and it’s not even something that could be happening now but in the summer.. so even less interesting 😆

If we manage to qualify for CL… I would assume we’d have greater capacity to strengthen and attract even better players… even less of a need for someone like this imo.

Oh well…

Don’t have much more to add or say on the matter, so I’ll leave it there. Time to move on 😆

• Like 1

We only really need a RB to improve on our first 11. We can spend whatever budget we have left on that position alone. 

The other squad filling positions we can fund with outgoings. We're in a good position. 

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

We most certainly have to be looking at Dybala it would be criminal not to, but do i hear hes injury record is abysmal that would be the only concern from me.

spacer.png

Williams (now playing mainly on the left wing for Bilbao) and Frimpong would be two awesome January signings. They would both be big first eleven upgrades who would have a real impact imo.

It's not going to happen, but I can dream.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Probably huh? So much about thinking ‘big’.

In that case Villa should send McGinn back to St Mirren.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but would anyone take ESR from Arsenal. 

Pretty sure he was Arsenals best player at the beginning of last season (I think it was last season). Since then, has struggled with injuries and can't break into the team.

Honestly have no idea. Reminds me a bit of Grealish with his ball carrying. Looks like a bit of a tubby little ****, mind. 

Let’s break this down, first team only…

GK

Martinez (cannot be improved, irreplaceable)

Olsen, Marschall

(we can definitely improve here, but there may not be much urgency to do so)

LB

Moreno (brilliant last season, made us better. Once he gets his fitness and sharpness back up, he’ll be great again)

Digne (we will probably look to offload soon depending on interest considering his age & wages… bringing in a younger option for the future would be appealing). Performed admirably this season…

RB

Cash (works hard but limitations are on display fairly regularly)

PRIORITY POSITION TO STRENGTHEN

CB

Pau 

Konsa

Carlos

Lenglet (loan - doubt it will be made permanent)

Mings to return…

Chambers? No future here…

DON’T NEED ANYTHING HERE, FOR NOW

DM

Kamara (key player, crucial and important)

Dendoncker (too limited, major drop off from Bouba). Sell and replace if possible.

BRING IN A BETTER OPTION to cover/compete with Kamara. 

CM

Luiz (what a player)

McGinn (usually RM or LM)

other players that can fill in but main positions are elsewhere 

LM/LW

Ramsey

Buendia to return

RW

Diaby

Bailey 

Traore? Injured and likely to leave…

AM/SS

Tielemans 

Zaniolo (loan)

CF

Watkins

Duran

Difficult to tie certain players to one position as they are moved around e.g McGinn has shifted around, Bailey and Diaby have played SS or in support of Watkins and either wing… Zaniolo has been played out of position on the wing…

Anyway… where we are most “short” is at RB and DM. They must be the priority positions to strengthen in.

I still think, with everyone fit, Unai would probably play Ramsey and McGinn on the left and right of our midfield and see that as our strongest set up with Luiz and Kamara in the centre… so, in that case,  difficult for a wide forward or winger to get in unless they’re up there supporting Watkins as Bailey and Diaby have done… is Tielemans now the preferred option for that role though?

So… I do believe the area in which we lack depth most of all is in central midfield… particularly defensively. There are players that can cover Luiz’s position… but only Dendoncker who can actually/specifically cover for Kamara without other players filling in and making sacrifices… and the drop off is too severe here, we are badly weakened when Bouba isn’t available…

We don’t need more right sided wingers or left footers unless we’re replacing and enhancing…

A left sided right footer with top class ability may be an attractive option and strengthen us… Ramsey isn’t up to speed yet and we don’t have a real alternative unless we play someone out of position…

I assumed Tielemans was going to add to our central midfield depth but he’s been more effective in an attacking role and in support of Watkins.

There is an array of opinions about our CF options 😆

I’ll leave it there for now, but there is plenty more to discuss in terms of gaps, weaknesses or positions/areas that we can improve on… as well as where we have sufficient options. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He's been injured a lot, that would worry me, no doubt a decent player 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I think what we do in regards to a number 10 depends on Buendia. 

He has to be given a proper chance when he's fit again. He may lose a yard of pace due to that injury, but that doesn't concern me as his game isn't built around that. 

What he won't lose is his vision, creativity and hopefully, his South American 'bite'. 

What we will need is a option in that position, as you can't expect Emi to come back and play 3 games a week. 

If the fee wasn't stupid and he can stay fit, ESR would be, IMO, a decent shout. 

But then I'd probably take Felipe Anderson over him if he's on a free, as he's been playing regular footy. 

Let's just get a RB in and we can go from there 😂

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

He has to be given a proper chance when he's fit again. He may lose a yard of pace due to that injury, but that doesn't concern me as his game isn't built around that. 

What he won't lose is his vision, creativity and hopefully, his South American 'bite'. 

What we will need is a option in that position, as you can't expect Emi to come back and play 3 games a week. 

If the fee wasn't stupid and he can stay fit, ESR would be, IMO, a decent shout. 

But then I'd probably take Felipe Anderson over him if he's on a free, as he's been playing regular footy. 

Tielemans?

I’ll be delighted if we bring in a RB and DM in this window… anything else, a bonus…

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Nope. He had his chance. Looks like another Callum Chambers.

No he doesn't. Totally different types of player, ESR will have an excellent career. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Will depend on Zaniolo.  Still has time, but so far, he hasn't shown that he's worth dropping £30m on.  Felipe Anderson for free might be a better deal that paying the Zaniolo clause.

• Like 1