January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

Tielemans was English based to be fair and came on big wages. I think if the right players are available I think Emery/Monchi will go for them whether they are foreign or English

And we'd have to anyway. We only have 2 places left in the squad and one of them has to be Homegrown if we fill it.

So if we want a RB and a DM/Striker, we either have to sell somebody or one of them has to be homegrown. And neither can be on loan unless we send Zaniolo or Lenglet back.

15 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah… it just seems a silly suggestion. Like Gibbs-White and Gallagher too… but Philips is even worse…

One minute these sorts of players are suggested and the next we are worried and concerned about FFP and limitations 😂 makes no sense…

Kind of find it shocking how far “fan opinion” from some repeatedly strays from the logic and strategy that we are actually employing at the club… what evidence is there that Unai, Monchi and co are happy or even interested in splashing out big fees and/or big wages on PL or English/British players? Especially those who are nothing special and are being massively overpaid? Even worse those that have huge asking prices…

Everything we have implemented is designed to find and research talented players all over the world (probably Spain and South America moreso) that combine potential and value.

There is no value to be had in/from the PL… many of the legends and stars that we look back on and admire came from obscure places or foreign leagues and became or developed into that calibre of player… some of them were bargains too… some/many of the best British players were developed by their own clubs or from a young age… 

None of the targets or signings so far suggest we would ever employ this approach either…

Just find it a bit weird tbh but hey ho… each to their own I guess.

Interesting post, and one I agree with fwiw

Also there is far more chance of the players we go after, integrating in the soul of our club, like Dougie and SJM has.

some of the bigger names players come for the wrong reasons.

15 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah… it just seems a silly suggestion. Like Gibbs-White and Gallagher too… but Philips is even worse…

One minute these sorts of players are suggested and the next we are worried and concerned about FFP and limitations 😂 makes no sense…

Kind of find it shocking how far “fan opinion” from some repeatedly strays from the logic and strategy that we are actually employing at the club… what evidence is there that Unai, Monchi and co are happy or even interested in splashing out big fees and/or big wages on PL or English/British players? Especially those who are nothing special and are being massively overpaid? Even worse those that have huge asking prices…

Everything we have implemented is designed to find and research talented players all over the world (probably Spain and South America moreso) that combine potential and value.

There is no value to be had in/from the PL… many of the legends and stars that we look back on and admire came from obscure places or foreign leagues and became or developed into that calibre of player… some of them were bargains too… some/many of the best British players were developed by their own clubs or from a young age… 

None of the targets or signings so far suggest we would ever employ this approach either…

Just find it a bit weird tbh but hey ho… each to their own I guess.

I agree with all of this to an extent, however given the threshold for success is so high in the PL there is value to players who've proven themselves at PL level. For every obscure player that arrives from out of the blue from South America or eastern Europe and becomes an elite level PL players there's probably 20+ flops. The richest clubs can afford to take those risks and stockpile players who aren't good enough for their first team - we can't (at this stage).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

I thought the clause would be bigger. I'd jump right on that. Easy choice IMO.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daulmakan said:

I thought the clause would be bigger. I'd jump right on that. Easy choice IMO.

In the summer.

If true that it's a £35m release clause, then we won't be the only ones jumping on it either.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, est1874 said:

In the summer.

If true that it's a £35m release clause, then we won't be the only ones jumping on it either.

You're right, my bad. That's what I get for living in the southern hemisphere, heh.

Maybe make it 40 and deal now?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't think they can't be registered to play for more than two clubs in one season.

Not strictly true, it's registered with three, play for two and an exception does exist for leagues with overlapping seasons for playing for three

FIFA Regulations For Transfers, Article 5.3 if you want to look up the exact wording

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

FIFA Regulations For Transfers, Article 5.3 if you want to look up the exact wording

Too much time on your hands. What next? Trainspotting ffs 😂

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Too much time on your hands. What next? Trainspotting ffs 😂

I have literally no work to do, so Mooneying FIFA regulations is killing time :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Daulmakan said:

You're right, my bad. That's what I get for living in the southern hemisphere, heh.

Maybe make it 40 and deal now?

No the whole reason it is so low is that they don't want to sell him now. He had a pretty high release clause before something like 50-60 mil, in exchange for dropping the clause they pushed back the when it could be triggered so they could keep him for the rets of the season where they at leading the league