Ukraine v England/Scotland v England

andykeenan

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I made that decision a while back when he kept picking Mason Mount 

one of my mates is still adamant he’s the second most successful England manager of all time … but that claim doesn’t hold up to scrutiny and with the talent available England would have achieved more with someone competent in charge 

His wins against the minnows in the qualifiers is irrelavent when he then gets to the final and shoe horns his mate Mount in to a position he's never played for his club before, reverts to type and defends for 118 minutes and **** all his subs up

He had an absolute disaster in the final but half the fan base want to applaud him for getting to a final when the managers before him couldn't, it's a bizarre take

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I disagree, the midfield is poor, showed at the WC, we obviously have the stifling tactics and management as a factor but the midfield vs France was nowhere near good enough

And France have loads more depth than us pretty much all over the pitch bar maybe attacking midfielders

Bellingham and Rice with Foden/Madison/Grealish/anyone of our superstar attackers in front is as strong of a midfield as you can think of in world football now. 

Again, it's not about depth in international football. It's about adaptability. If you "only" have 3/4 mega star midfield players (which I believe England have), how about playing a formation where that midfield isn't as big of an element of the tactical puzzle? 

And with Bellingham, Rice, Ward Prowse and a gazillion attacking forwards, Southgate could come up with something that doesn't require Henderson to be called up. After all, unless it's a tournament, it's only 2 games every 3 months with poor opposition. 

Just give something a try rather than making selections based on a pre conceived tactic. How about adjusting that tactic to the available squad? 

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I disagree, the midfield is poor, showed at the WC, we obviously have the stifling tactics and management as a factor but the midfield vs France was nowhere near good enough

And France have loads more depth than us pretty much all over the pitch bar maybe attacking midfielders

France clear favourites for Euros but then anything can happen in knockouts when you look at them losing to Swiss on penalties after being 3-1 up.

Beyond that I'd actually say England not reaching the final is a failure. I'd say only Portugal have decent depth and players at good ages but their problem will be Martinez not having the bottle to drop Ronaldo as he's starting all their qualifiers so far.

Belgium no threat now and Spain and Germany will be back eventually but both in major transition currently so think they'll be both more looking at next World cup.

Italy as ever a dangerous floater but not sure they'll even finish above Ukraine in the qualification group.

Have to think after their World cup successes Croatia should be feeling confident but they never seem to quite bring their best to the Euros for some reason.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think the feeling is outside Brighton't system he'd just go back to being ordinary as England certainly wouldn't play him in similar manner to what Brighton ask for him.

And I very much agree with that, for me he's the archetypal player who looks great in a game of 'classic Barclays' played at a million miles an hour. 

Already said it in the Southgate thread but calling up 2 players who effectively don't play football and haven't for over a year is just mad.

Henderson should have been considered retired as soon as he moved to SA.

Nketiah and Wilson over Watkins is ridiculous, they are both substitutes for their clubs while Ollie plays every week.

I do think it's possibly a valid point that there aren't that many options at holding midfield but it's frustrating that he is too stubborn to even contemplate changing how he sets up to negate this.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, villan95 said:

Already said it in the Southgate thread but calling up 2 players who effectively don't play football and haven't for over a year is just mad.

Henderson should have been considered retired as soon as he moved to SA.

Nketiah and Wilson over Watkins is ridiculous, they are both substitutes for their clubs while Ollie plays every week.

I do think it's possibly a valid point that there aren't that many options at holding midfield but it's frustrating that he is too stubborn to even contemplate changing how he sets up to negate this.

He probably doesn't know how to

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

Grealish and Arnold withdraw with injury and Southgate doesn't call up any replacements 🙄 It would be the perfect opportunity to call up a couple of players to at least train, integrate and have a look at them but nope Southgate isn't interested in doing that.

But the players he calls up might do well and then Garth would have to make decisions.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â