Harry Kane

mjmooney

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He basically played like Rooney did in his last two years for England. Pretty sure he was playing in central midfield in the end given he couldn't run anymore.

Ollie needs to be given 5-6 starts in the World cup Qualifiers, completely pointless Kane starting v likes of Malta and Latvia as you just learn nothing and waste another year just as England did with Henderson and Phillips for most of 2023.

Yes, agree completely. Playing Kane and all the rest of Southgate's favourites including Henderson and slab head against "minor" teams like Malta or st cutherberts international school for girls just to boost their caps and statistics is wrong. These are the games to try out new/fringe players and tactics.

But that is risky and Safegate doesnt do "risk" or tactics.

disgrace as a captain. he knew he shouldn't be on the pitch playing through injuries. he should've pulled out and taken the decision out of southgate's hands. just wanted a moment of glory

• Like 4

If he goes another season at Munich without a trophy I will begin to believe he’s cursed.

I’m more angry with him than Gareth tbh. He seems to have this blessed role where he decides if he plays or not. He knows he shouldn’t be playing, especially when he’s keeping Watkins and Toney out of the side, and he’s failing to keep up with the likes of Saka who are putting things on a plate for the invisible striker.

The team comes alive when he goes off the pitch, like a switch has been flipped.

He should have been honest with Gareth and said he shouldn’t be starting but begged for a role from the bench.

Nothing as enjoyable as the ego missing out on another trophy. A terrible captain with no leadership skills

A real manager would have dropped him the moment he went into defensive midfield

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

disgrace as a captain. he knew he shouldn't be on the pitch playing through injuries. he should've pulled out and taken the decision out of southgate's hands. just wanted a moment of glory

It's on both manager *and* captain. The big story of Kane's career is that he has posted extraordinary numbers - and been an incredibly good player - without winning anything, and it's hard not to feel like his extreme addiction to his personal numbers doesn't play some part in his teams' struggles. It's notable that the best teams in the tournament - ie, Spain and Germany - tended to play without a striker who puts up numbers, but instead one who best creates space for the players behind and around him. Kane is a better player than Morata, but I'm not sure he's a better fit for his side, and we probably need to move on from having a 'talismanic'/undroppable striker who is the focus of everything. Kane is also a better player than Watkins, but I think Ollie would be more selfless in how he helps the team, and that kind of margin matters when you're getting into the very final stages of tournaments. From the manager's side though, he has to have the strength to leave the main man out and Southgate has not shown enough of that bravery. He's gotten better at subbing Kane off early but it remains simply unthinkable he could ever actually drop him for a game that matters, and that's one of the main reasons why his time should be up. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

I disagree to be fair. These decisions should be taken out of the hands of players. Players will always think they are fit enough and want to play. I mean players want to play on after they've got concussion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree to be fair. These decisions should be taken out of the hands of players. Players will always think they are fit enough and want to play. I mean players want to play on after they've got concussion.

fair point. but as one of the most experienced players, and captain, i'd have expected a bit more leadership in this case. he must know that he's not affecting the game in any way

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

fair point. but as one of the most experienced players, and captain, i'd have expected a bit more leadership in this case. he must know that he's not affecting the game in any way

Oh it wasn't really a defence of Kane. He's been shocking and seems like an awful captain

The camera caught him shaking his head at himself yesterday and it really looked like the face of a guy who knew it was going very badly

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's on both manager *and* captain. The big story of Kane's career is that he has posted extraordinary numbers - and been an incredibly good player - without winning anything, and it's hard not to feel like his extreme addiction to his personal numbers doesn't play some part in his teams' struggles.

It’s similar in some ways to prime Cristiano Ronaldo, but the major difference is that CR was a real leader on the pitch. He demanded a level from everyone, and dragged the team over the line to win titles. 

Kane has absolutely zero leadership skills and it was a bizarre choice to make him captain. He can barely string a sentence together and I highly doubt he does anything in the dressing room.

They urgently need to pass the armband on, maybe Bellingham is the logical choice (maybe in another year or so).

I get that he "want's to be involved" but I've no idea why he want's to play so deep considering he also likes to score goals. And I've absolutely no idea why Gareth allows it or asks him to. All well and good that he helps out in defense but that should not be his main aim.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

I get that he "want's to be involved" but I've no idea why he want's to play so deep considering he also likes to score goals. And I've absolutely no idea why Gareth allows it or asks him to. All well and good that he helps out in defense but that should not be his main aim.

It’s like they have him on a pedestal like Messi or Ronaldo. He can play where he likes, and can play even if injured. Such a massive weakness in the coaching.

A proper coach like Klopp, Jose, Pep, Emery, Ancellotti etc would never allow such a situation.

• Like 2

The overall lack of movement could be explained when it is finally confirmed that he was unfit.

The lack of movement inside the opposition penalty area I find baffling though.

If he was conserving energy then fine… but if he can’t find enough energy to move from the penalty spot to the near post then how is he even on the pitch?

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

The overall lack of movement could be explained when it is finally confirmed that he was unfit.

The lack of movement inside the opposition penalty area I find baffling though.

If he was conserving energy then fine… but if he can’t find enough energy to move from the penalty spot to the near post then how is he even on the pitch?

And if he wasn't fully fit and needed to conserve energy, why did he keep trying to play in defensive midfield.

He's joint winner of the golden boot, but I couldn't give a toss, he was an absolute **** disgrace for the entire tournament.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â