Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

24 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Can he play with Diaby upfront at times? I think he presses good, he won’t be a lone striker as well in this case.

It’s interesting to see the lineup for tomorrow.

Yes.  I think a 4-3-3 at home or against teams where we expect to dominate position (as per the formation we played against Everton).  Away or against the bigger teams it will be much more interesting to see what we do and how we balance our attacking threat with the need to have more protection in the middle third.  The point is that he gives Emery another / a different set of options as he's not like any of our other players.

59 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

does he play central then ? I know very little of him but thought he was a winger

If I was to guess his role. It would be in the 10/RF role diaby is currently playing and then diaby moves to being a more full on winger. 

22 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'd rather pull barbed wire out of my urethra than listen to anything that guy has to say ever again. 

It sounds a pretty nifty thing to have working well.

7 minutes ago, allani said:

It's an interesting one as I don't remember his temperament being bad when he broke through at Roma. 

In his first two seasons he got 16 yellow cards in 53 matches.  As a comparison Douglas Luiz got 18 yellows and 1 red in his first two seasons for us but in 69 matches.  I mean it's still pretty high but it would only be a 1 match ban for multiple bookings per season.

After Mourinho arrived Zaniolo then got the same number of yellows (plus 2 reds) in 41 matches.  Indeed in his first season back he got 12 yellows and 2 reds in 28 matches - which is pretty awful.  But even then last season (Roma / Gala combined) it was 5 yellows and 1 red in 23 matches (I think just a combined 2 match ban).  So 21/22 looks like an outlier.

Given that I suspect he's not a 90 minute player for us yet - I used matches played rather than minutes as I felt that was more representative of how he will be used.

I think it is fair to say that his head wasn't in the best place (which I think he has admitted) and that Mourinho isn't the type of manager to help in that type of situation.  I think he'll get better off the pitch support here (even with the added difficulty of it not being in his first language) and hopefully will be feeling better about it being a fresh start.  I do also think that the referees here are generally better at awarding free-kicks for things that maybe Italian refs are more willing to overlook - although on the flip side he might also get pinged more often for doing the same thing.

So whilst I agree that discipline / temperament is a concern, I'm not quite so sure that he's quite the walking time-bomb that maybe you think he is.  It definitely nose-dived during his return from injury when I think he was particularly sensitive to players kicking the **** out of him and being allowed to get away with it.  Getting his head back in a positive mind-set could make a huge difference and I hope that will happen in a more supportive environment.  Fingers crossed.

Thank for you for the insight. I was also surprised to see Tammy got a lot of bookings at Roma also. 

It seems that Nicolo had much fewer bookings in Turkey. He speaks well from the media he’s given and Unai isn’t going to tolerate ill-discipline either. He’s going to need time to adapt here, but I think we can be cautiously optimistic about a more mature Zaniolo here. 

6 minutes ago, allani said:

It's an interesting one as I don't remember his temperament being bad when he broke through at Roma. 

In his first two seasons he got 16 yellow cards in 53 matches.  As a comparison Douglas Luiz got 18 yellows and 1 red in his first two seasons for us but in 69 matches.  I mean it's still pretty high but it would only be a 1 match ban for multiple bookings per season.

After Mourinho arrived Zaniolo then got the same number of yellows (plus 2 reds) in 41 matches.  Indeed in his first season back he got 12 yellows and 2 reds in 28 matches - which is pretty awful.  But even then last season (Roma / Gala combined) it was 5 yellows and 1 red in 23 matches (I think just a combined 2 match ban).  So 21/22 looks like an outlier.

Given that I suspect he's not a 90 minute player for us yet - I used matches played rather than minutes as I felt that was more representative of how he will be used.

I think it is fair to say that his head wasn't in the best place (which I think he has admitted) and that Mourinho isn't the type of manager to help in that type of situation.  I think he'll get better off the pitch support here (even with the added difficulty of it not being in his first language) and hopefully will be feeling better about it being a fresh start.  I do also think that the referees here are generally better at awarding free-kicks for things that maybe Italian refs are more willing to overlook - although on the flip side he might also get pinged more often for doing the same thing.

So whilst I agree that discipline / temperament is a concern, I'm not quite so sure that he's quite the walking time-bomb that maybe you think he is.  It definitely nose-dived during his return from injury when I think he was particularly sensitive to players kicking the **** out of him and being allowed to get away with it.  Getting his head back in a positive mind-set could make a huge difference and I hope that will happen in a more supportive environment.  Fingers crossed.

There was huge concerns about Paul McGrath when he joined, and the same with Martin Laursen.

Its hard to find the perfect player.....Nicolo is now 24 and I guess a bit more mature, so until we see him perform for US, the rest is historical.

He is playing for a permanent move, so I envisage, a player with a plan to do well for us, and subsequently for himself. Maybe a change of environment is just what he needed.

We can only deal with stuff, when it happens to us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I think he struggled coming back from the injury and was getting more frustrated at people kicking him which is natural. He got 2 red cards last season including one after 6 minutes

This was from a friendly

and his red card in Turkey was a bit Huttonesque

also be interesting now when he meets Moreno :D  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think he struggled coming back from the injury and was getting more frustrated at people kicking him which is natural. He got 2 red cards last season including one after 6 minutes

This was from a friendly

Yeah the friendly one didn't show up on the stats so missed that one.  Funnily enough if Zaniolo had gone to ground from the initial push from Moreno then the chances are that Moreno would have walked as it looks like it was hand to face (not sure if that is in the clip you shared or whether it happened earlier in the move).  I think a lot of his cards are stupid rather than reckless / massively aggressive - so I am hoping that it is easier to train / teach him out of it. 🤞

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This was from a friendly

Hmm really not a fan of petulant red cards. So frustrating if you go down to 10 men from that sort of stupidity. Hopefully he can cut it out of his game.

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This was from a friendly

Interesting the 3rd red card was against our own Alex Moreno? They'll be best buddies soon.

There are only 2 things I really care about with this signing, or any tbh. Not nonsense assessments regarding discipline, injuries or bad attitudes. I care only about his talent and his will to succeed for Aston Villa. Everything else is just noise until proved otherwise in claret and blue. 

I've got a really good feeling about Nicky and think he realises this is a huge platform for him in the PL to get his career back on track. He's got a top class manager who cares about his players and good bunch of lads around him all pretty level headed and close knit. We need to help him embrace this opportunity not flap about the background noise. 

34 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

There are only 2 things I really care about with this signing, or any tbh. Not nonsense assessments regarding discipline, injuries or bad attitudes. I care only about his talent and his will to succeed for Aston Villa. Everything else is just noise until proved otherwise in claret and blue. 

I've got a really good feeling about Nicky and think he realises this is a huge platform for him in the PL to get his career back on track. He's got a top class manager who cares about his players and good bunch of lads around him all pretty level headed and close knit. We need to help him embrace this opportunity not flap about the background noise. 

Yeah, potentially a signing that could make an impact on the Premier League, Emery and us seem a perfect fit for him at the moment. It's a risk, but we've mitigated the worst possible cases with the type of deal.

I don't mind fiery players or players with a "competitive streak" - It shows that they have that determination to win. They just need to learn to control it somewhat, a player that springs to mind is Suarez. In fact, I believe these are exactly the qualities that make a lot of south american footballers stand out and excel. 

Also a bit of shoving and arguing is entertaining imo, as long as it is somewhat controlled, it fires up fans and players. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â