Christmas 2023

sidcow

Finished at 4, absolutely nailed on I'd get a call out. Yep, spent the entire journey making calls to sort out someone being able to work over Xmas because the council are ludicrously lazy knobheads. Still sorting it out whilst I'm in Tesco picking up tonight’s ding tea. 4:45 and it’s sorted. Yeah overtime I'd rather not have

Finished work early today, and had a few beers in a pub over Walsall way with a couple of mates. I've enjoyed being far more social this Xmas! :) 

• Like 3

Went to the frankfurt Christmas market in the week

Made me smile but I was surprised, they actually use the exact same cups and glasses as the Birmingham "frankfurter" market, they've obviously just not got Birmingham printed on them but the design is the same at both markets 

On 22/12/2023 at 15:29, tomav84 said:

had to explain the concept to some american colleagues the other day. it sounded more and more ridiculous as i went on

I ordered a box of crackers out here in China but they messed up and sent me 12 boxes, leaving me with 144 crackers (I really only needed 2). So, I've been using them with my Chinese students all week. To say they are confused when I explain them and disappointed when they see what is actually inside is an understatement. 

• Haha 1

Wham finally get Christmas number 1.

George needs to make up his mind up though.  Which is it? 

now I've found a real love, You'll never fool me again OR 

if you kissed me now, I know you'd fool me again 

Neighbour just popped over to give me a card and a bottle.

The bottle is a thanks as their kids kick the ball over the fence on occasion. It’s very occasional that the ball comes over. 

It’s all very nice. But of course I have not bought them a card and now I can’t because if I do it will be apparent I’m only buying one to return the favour.

So now I must see out Christmas in the knowledge that I am the lesser neighbour this year, every drop of the pinot noir reminding me of this fact.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The bottle is a thanks as their kids kick the ball over the fence on occasion. It’s very occasional that the ball comes over. 

It’s all very nice. But of course I have not bought them a card and now I can’t because if I do it will be apparent I’m only buying one to return the favour.

So now I must see out Christmas in the knowledge that I am the lesser neighbour this year, every drop of the pinot noir reminding me of this fact.

One for the Very British Problems thread. 

• Like 1

I see all the tough guys still not 25
Dying on their feet
Coughing, honking, cadging cigarettes
And still out on the street
Well, they got no money, nowhere to go
Fathers of 2, 3 maybe 4, what are they gonna do? 
Jimmy got a busted mouth in a fight last night
He says he's OK
Going down to the workies' club (that's a laugh)
To buy something strong and take the pain away
Joys of Christmas
Joys of Christmas
Northern style
Flashing Christmas light of police blue
Go spinning down the street
Women try to drag the men from pubs
Into the stores
And work hands in empty pockets deep
We stand outside the neon ice and wish ourselves the best
He says he's OK, out of work and fighting
Is all he's ever known
And laughs and says I worry too much anyway
Joys of Christmas
Joys of Christmas
Northern style
Let's drink to the likes of Jim
Before we all go insane
And please don't ask me why
It'll take too long to explain
Joys of Christmas

(The other Chris Rea Christmas song, the one that never gets played on the radio). 

Edited by mjmooney

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That's the joy of working in the construction industry, you've always got a spare bottle of bells whiskey in a bottle bag lying around 

• Haha 2