Christmas 2023

sidcow

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Only about an hour of working in 2023 for me, then 11 days off 😎 

Good job some of us are grafting over Christmas... keep the economy ticking over. I know @Seat68 is always impressed with my Xmas work ethic. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Home alone with orchestra at NIA last night and just finished muppets Christmas carol with snacks, Christmas spirit well and truly engaged.

I noticed that was on last night, when i was at the Malt House, more or less next door. A lot of people in there were going :) 

13 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Do people in England still crack Christmas crackers and wear paper hats at Christmas "lunch?" Will you?

Maybe there’s regional variances but in this part of the country we pull Christmas crackers.

Otherwise, yes and yes.

The hat will likely be too small for my head. Or my head will be too big for the hat, depending on your view point.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Maybe there’s regional variances but in this part of the country we pull Christmas crackers.

Otherwise, yes and yes.

The hat will likely be too small for my head. Or my head will be too big for the hat, depending on your view point.

Oh, yes, sorry. Pull. This will inevitably sound patronising,  but this just seems like the sweetest, cutest tradition. OMG, I love it. Can't believe it still happens. Hats. Coloured paper hats.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Do people in England still crack Christmas crackers and wear paper hats at Christmas "lunch?" Will you?

It is never called Christmas lunch. Christmas dinner is the term. Every other day for us normal people we would call the main meal Tea, but on Christmas day it's Christmas dinner. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

100%, yes. And read out the bad jokes contained in the crackers. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yep. Christ only knows how they got them to actually sit on his lap in the olden days. 

Speaking of which, what year did that become illegal or was it a gradual change? 

Screenshot_2023-12-21-21-21-12-64_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes and yes. To not do so would be the definition of insanity. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This is super helpful -- thank you.

I own a deep cast-iron skillet that should work perfectly for this, bigger than the one pictured. It's funny how there are certain things seen everywhere in Britain that aren't at all common here in usa. I don't see too many heavy roasting pans for sale, for example, nor do I know an easy way to get duck or goose fat except for cooking a duck. Cast iron skillets are old-school-revival commonplace, even kind of trendy among older hipsters. Thanks again!

spacer.png

I do ours in a Le Creuset roasting pan.

Also roughly chopped onion and smashed garlic bulbs dissolves into the duck fat and adds even more flavor to the taters.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

First Christmas with the little one. It'll be magical they said. Whimsical they said. 

Well he's been ill for 4 days, vomit, cough, mucus, shit everywhere. He's got 3 days to get match fit or he's out the family.

My 5 year old suddenly threw up everywhere last night. I have never seen so much fluid come out of such a small human. I actually started laughing it was unbelievable.

giphy.gif

Kept him home today and last day of school tomorrow for 2 weeks 😩 He's going even if he's got Ebola!

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

Week off as of now for me. Xmas party tomorrow. One parcel to post tomorrow to the neice and nephews. Other than that just waiting for deliveries in the post. Off to the outlaws for Christmas day so no cooking for me except that I'll be doing a mustard glazed ham as ever for Xmas Eve when we also crack open our first still cider of this years batch. Ham and cider on Xmas eve has become my favourite bit.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Shhh, keep the noise down, she's not bought any this year and if I get sent out on a mission to find crackers this late on I'm going to blame you :P 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Shhh, keep the noise down, she's not bought any this year and if I get sent out on a mission to find crackers this late on I'm going to blame you :P 

The other way round here. My wife seems to have always been against them, possibly because of the bang scaring our dog. I will be buying some today. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The other way round here. My wife seems to have always been against them, possibly because of the bang scaring our dog. I will be buying some today. 

Oh I’m not against them (even though they are massively overpriced tat) I’m just against me having to go out and source them and the inevitable text discussions from the shop about which ones to buy :D 

• Like 2