Christmas 2023

sidcow

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, still in deleted, and now forwarded to my missus because (drum roll) I don’t have an amazon account and have never bought anything on amazon.

Did you not once mention you had an exceptionally fast delivery from Amazon?

57 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

not just ordering plastic disposable shite when I’m bored at midnight on a Tuesday.

You do know Amazon sell pretty much everything in existence don’t you? and it’s often cheaper than elsewhere, and often delivered the very next day even if ordered whilst bored at midnight on a Tuesday.

They also have excellent customer support.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Did you not once mention you had an exceptionally fast delivery from Amazon?

You do know Amazon sell pretty much everything in existence don’t you? and it’s often cheaper than elsewhere, and often delivered the very next day even if ordered whilst bored at midnight on a Tuesday.

They also have excellent customer support.

The delivery was something like 20 minutes from placing order to arrival, yes.

But it wasn’t me. It would have been wife / nipper.

It’s not a massive eco warrior worker solidarity 15 minute city crusade. I’ve just never needed amazon, or Ubereats, or paypal. There’s a Sainsbury local at the end of my street for milk, there’s a bakery two blocks down. I work in a city that has shops large and small. I think I mentioned a few days ago, I literally have to drive past Lidl, Screwfix, and M&S to get home.

Stuff, stuff like headphones, duvets, and TV’s, well I walk in to John Lewis and actually see one and decide if I want it.

Clothes, I went out looking for a scarf as a present, nearly bought the one I thought I wanted then saw a better one, in better material, at a better price. Would never have come up on the net as it was in the women’s section. Apparently soft b/w check pattern scarves are female. Who knew!

Records, I like to stand in the shop and chat shite for 10 minutes with people I’ve known for 30 years.

Herbs and spices, I like to go to Clancy’s and chat shite and get him to suggest some new recipe, then I go and get a coffee.

Coffee, I prefer sitting in the local indie coffee shop to staying in the car and ordering via the Starbucks app. or the drive thru intercom.

It’s not Luddism or snobbery, I’m just very lucky, I do get that. I’m not scouring the web for the cheapest thing, I don’t need things delivered by the next day, I live by nice shops, I enjoy city living and coffee and pastries and scruffy little back street noodle shops. I can imagine nothing more depressing than living somewhere remote with just **** fields of grass and bushes and needing to use amazon for my shopping. That would not be my optimum lived experience.

The other half knows that if I ever win the lottery or disappear, I won’t be in a tent on the Pembrokeshire coast, I’ll be in a flat up that London. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I don't have an Amazon account either

The missus does

It's very rare I order anything from there though, generally overpriced for what I buy

It must be a Birmingham and shires thing this amazon.

I don’t see it getting traction.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't have an Amazon account either

The missus does

It's very rare I order anything from there though, generally overpriced for what I buy

Not sure if you’re aware but your mrs can share her membership with you if you wish. You can have your own completely independent account, but you don’t have to pay the subscription because your wife pays. 

Could be worth it for even occasional use

Share your Amazon Prime benefits

Prime members can share certain benefits with another adult in their Amazon Household.

To share your Amazon Prime benefits:

Visit your Amazon Prime membership.

Locate the Share your Prime benefits section.

Select Invite someone now.

Enter the name and email address of the person you want to share benefits with. 

Select Invite. 

Your invitee must know your date of birth to accept your invitation.

You can stop sharing benefits with your household member at any time. To do this, check the corresponding box and select Remove.

link

1 minute ago, Genie said:

They sell everything ever made, and deliver it quickly, for free (if you’re using someone else’s membership) :lol: 

Its all overpriced for what I buy

Amazon is not cheap

here's an example for you.

100 Nitrile gloves are about £6.99 on there. (the Prime ones)

You can buy them in Home Bargains for £2.99

The idea that Amazon is cheap on everything is false

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its all overpriced for what I buy

Amazon is not cheap

here's an example for you.

100 Nitrile gloves are about £6.99 on there. (the Prime ones)

You can buy them in Home Bargains for £2.99

The idea that Amazon is cheap on everything is false

£3.79 here, and you won’t need to take time out of your day to drive and park at Home Bargains. Delivered by Amazon tomorrow. That will be cheaper all things considered. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

£3.79 here, and you won’t need to take time out of your day to drive and park at Home Bargains. Delivered by Amazon tomorrow. That will be cheaper all things considered. 

What part of £2.99 is more expensive than £3.79 to stop at a shop that is on my way home? And then I have to wait in for somebody to deliver it?

It really is a case of the Emperors New Clothes

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

What part of £2.99 is more expensive than £3.79 to stop at a shop that is on my way home? And then I have to wait in for somebody to deliver it?

It really is a case of the Emperors New Clothes

The petrol bit, the paying to park possibly bit, the getting to the shop to find they don’t have any bit, the taking the time to make a detour bit, the queuing to pay bit. 

If nobody is ever home then they’ll just leave it on the door step or in predefined safe space. That might be a bit more risky in Liverpool though.

For me I’d pay the 80p to have it sorted and delivered to me.

Theres many, many things that come up on Amazon cheaper than anywhere. Plus the access to Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime books and other stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

The petrol bit, the paying to park possibly bit, the getting to the shop to find they don’t have any bit, the taking the time to make a detour bit, the queuing to pay bit. 

If nobody is ever home then they’ll just leave it on the door step or in predefined safe space. That might be a bit more risky in Liverpool though.

For me I’d pay the 80p to have it sorted and delivered to me.

Theres many, many things that come up on Amazon cheaper than anywhere. Plus the access to Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime books and other stuff.

Its like you didn't read the bit about shops being on my direct route home, there is no parking to pay. Join this queue for 2 minutes or wait in at home for 4 hours? What is this delusion?

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Its like you didn't read the bit about shops being on my direct route home, there is no parking to pay. Join this queue for 2 minutes or wait in at home for 4 hours? What is this delusion?

It’s like you didn’t read the bit about not needing to be at home 😉 

I didn’t realise you worked inside of Home Bargains and you never needed anything they don’t sell so it’s probably not of benefit.

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

They sell everything ever made, and deliver it quickly, for free (if you’re using someone else’s membership) :lol: 

@chrisp65 posted an album in his best of the year, it was excellent, I wanted to buy it, Amazon didnt stock it. (neither did anywhere else though, but you get the idea)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s like you didn’t read the bit about not needing to be at home

So I could go out of my way to a locker? Have a word with yourself :D You've just argued about not making unnecessary journeys

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

@chrisp65 posted an album in his best of the year, it was excellent, I wanted to buy it, Amazon didnt stock it. (neither did anywhere else though, but you get the idea)

And if they did, it wouldn't be on Prime and it would cost significantly more than in a shop

Which reminds me, I haven't actually done my album list yet :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Amazon don’t sell super rare items that nobody else sells?

They do sell billions of items that we all use and need every day though. Might come in handy for someone.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

And if they did, it wouldn't be on Prime and it would cost significantly more than in a shop

Maybe you have a misconception about “being on Prime”. It’s not just Amazon stuff that gets delivered for free as a prime member, millions of the things are fulfilled by Amazon. They get delivered by Amazon next day using the Amazon vans but they are sold by a third party on the Amazon platform.

Like those gloves for example. Amazon are selling them £6.99, another seller is selling them £3.79. They are both in the Amazon warehouse and both will be delivered in the same way for free as a Prime member.

I could buy this record and list it for sale as “FBA”. It’ll go off to the Amazon warehouse and then be delivered from there when someone buys it. I can set the price to whatever I want it to be.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Amazon don’t sell super rare items that nobody else sells?

They do sell billions of items that we all use and need every day though. Might come in handy for someone.

Absolutely, they get my money all the time. I tell you another area they fall down on, widely available, hugely popular mainstream country music. Even if it is released in this country, its either out of stock, hugely inflated in price or they have to source it from the states. In december though, thats the problem of the clowns I live with.