Christmas 2023

sidcow

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I hope it's the b&w version, and not the 'colorized' (sic) one. 

It really spoils it. I have watched both and now if the colourised version starts I refuse to watch it. Pointless 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Never seen It’s a Wonderful Life,but we won tickets for it at Luna in Digbeth so will check it out tonight 

Am curious, you having not seen it, what’s your perception of it? Are you aware of anything from it? Any famous lines or scenes that you may know from cultural osmosis, for instance.

15 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Wasn’t aware there was a non black & white version of It’s a Wonderful Life.

James Stewart tried (but failed) to stop it. He detested it. He was right. Avoid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Only saw the post above and assumed it was the colourised version of Scrooge with Alastair Sim being discussed. 

Wasn’t aware there was a non black & white version of It’s a Wonderful Life.

My favourite Xmas film (and also one of my favourite films in general tbh). 

I once caught a few minutes of the horrendous colourised version and I would happily erase it from existence.

Utter, utter filmic blasphemy.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

My favourite Xmas film (and also one of my favourite films in general tbh). 

I once caught a few minutes of the horrendous colourised version and I would happily erase it from existence.

Utter, utter filmic blasphemy.

Probably one for the film thread and I dare say you’d already know but I wasn’t aware of the number of films that had been given colourised versions. It shouldn’t surprise me, but the only one I can safely say I’ve seen and am familiar with is Scrooge. 

I assume that while there apparently was an appetite for Casablanca to be seen in colour in 1988, there hasn’t been much of an appetite to show it on tv in the intervening years, as I’ve (thankfully) only ever seen it aired in black and white. Unlike Scrooge which in my experience seems to have a 50/50 split of being shown in colour or black and white.

Maybe it’s a tv rights thing.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

13 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Am curious, you having not seen it, what’s your perception of it? Are you aware of anything from it? Any famous lines or scenes that you may know from cultural osmosis, for instance.

I’d never seen anything, didn’t know any lines or what the story was. 
It was the b&w version, and I thought it was pretty good. Some of the acting was a little OTT but it was good. 
My partner who loves Christmas more than me, had also not seen it, she did not enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Some of the acting was a little OTT but it was good. 

One of my favourite moments in cinema history is the scene where George Bailey totally loses it and rants at his family, making his kids cry. It works, because it's the ultimate nice guy James Stewart playing against type. 

(Should I have put that in a spoiler?) :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

One of my favourite moments in cinema history is the scene where George Bailey totally loses it and rants at his family, making his kids cry. It works, because it's the ultimate nice guy James Stewart playing against type. 

(Should I have put that in a spoiler?) :) 

The shock of the family on getting the mildest telling off in history is hilarious. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's part of its charm, though. 

Oh absolutely. Most films round that time if they're trying to portray shock, or "bad boys" produce this very diluted version of what a real shocking scene or violent individual would be. I guess they assumed the audience were not prepared for it. 

The Yule Goat in Gävle looks like a arson-survivor this year, There is a new wrinkle to the "will it survive ?" this year. There was a lot of seeds in the straws used to make it, and now the birds are feasting :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gävle_goat

b3ECdrP.jpg

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

My partner who loves Christmas more than me, had also not seen it, she did not enjoy it.

I hope you haven't spent too much on her this Xmas mate, considering you'll need to dump her :P 

• Haha 2