Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

3 hours ago, useless said:

England had it coming, utterly ridiculous not to play Daly through the middle, by far and away the best striker they have, and probably one of the best in the world, but wasn't used there once in the whole tournament, got away with it up until now as was winning games, but finally caught up with them, it wasn't just that but from her left-back position she was making so many good runs into the box but there was never an attempt to find her, and then from corners she's biggest threat in the air England have, but again she was never targetted, one of the best completely wasted.

Also surprised there hasn't been more talk about Chloe Kelly having so little game time, every time I watch her she looks like one of the better players, and to be honest looks to have better end product than Lauren James, in a way feel like Daly, James, Kelly are probably three of England's best four attackers, Hemp being the other.

Absolutely agree. It appears that Sarina has never been convinced that Daly is her best option up front, which strikes me as baffling. Her all round game is so good.

The team didn't play to her strengths. Even at wing back, they were not bringing her into the game enough. The ball was constantly on Bronze's side of the pitch and Bronze was having a poor game.

Unless she was injured, it was a baffling decision to substitute her. I've not heard anything, but have been at Villa Park this afternoon.

For me, James should have been on for Toone and Daly pushed up front. To finish a World Cup final with Millie Bright up front...  Shades of Chris Samba for Villa.

6 hours ago, useless said:

England had it coming, utterly ridiculous not to play Daly through the middle, by far and away the best striker they have, and probably one of the best in the world, but wasn't used there once in the whole tournament, got away with it up until now as was winning games, but finally caught up with them

You look at the games up to the final and, barring the one against Nigeria, England controlled things well - a slow-ish but efficient start in the group but building momentum, handling the one shoot-out they had very efficiently, pulling back quick goals after Colombia and Australia had scored in the QF and SF games, Russo, Hemp, James and Toone sharing out the goals.  The results up to the final make it hard to find fault with the system(s) Wiegman went with. I think England felt the proverbial weight of expectation in the final; despite all the work done on managing emotions and maintaining focus and whatnot they were nervous. Walsh looked rattled; Bronze was something of a bomb-scare; Hemp and Russo couldn't get on the same sharp wavelength. Daly had a bit of a curious tournament, but she has some good memories to look back on, and after the group opener got good game time. Had she not been taken off for the second half of the final, she'd have been pushed up or would've pushed herself up.

The Spanish FA are bizarrely doubling down on defending Rubiales actions at the final. 81 women are refusing to play for Spain until he is sacked and one of the male players is refusing a call up.

This guy has been constant trouble for them and is better to dump him

Edited by Zatman

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Spanish FA are bizarrely doubling down on defending Rubiales actions at the final. 81 women are refusing to play for Spain until he is sacked and one of the male players is refusing a call up.

This guy has been constant trouble for them and is better to dump him

Very interesting story. Now the Spanish FA are saying the kissed female player has been lying and threatening legal action.

Talk about overshadowing an incredible achievement 

Edited by Genie

This is becoming the most bonkers story of the year

Now Rubiales mum is on hunger strike

The mother of Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales has gone on a hunger strike because of the "inhuman hunt" against her son.

There has been widespread criticism of Rubiales, 46, after he kissed forward Jenni Hermoso on the lips following Spain's Women's World Cup final win.

His mother, Angeles Bejar, has now locked herself in a church in Motril.

She told Spanish news agency EFE the strike would continue "indefinite, day and night".

link

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m not sure how I feel about the whole thing tbh.

Obviously the kiss was very wrong, even in the height of the emotion it was not ok.

I don’t think he did a particularly good job of apologising and appearing sincere about it. Maybe if he had there would have been less of a fuss made.

I don’t know about his personal situation but if he were to resign as per the pressure he would obviously lose his job, but also potentially his house, wife etc. I can understand that this might be why he’s clinging on, his life could be ruined. 

Maybe if he’d have apologised publicly and privately to the player, then the Spanish FA issued a suspension, fine or rehabilitation type exercise it might have blown over by now.

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not sure how I feel about the whole thing tbh.

Obviously the kiss was very wrong, even in the height of the emotion it was not ok.

I don’t think he did a particularly good job of apologising and appearing sincere about it. Maybe if he had there would have been less of a fuss made.

I don’t know about his personal situation but if he were to resign as per the pressure he would obviously lose his job, but also potentially his house, wife etc. I can understand that this might be why he’s clinging on, his life could be ruined. 

Maybe if he’d have apologised publicly and privately to the player, then the Spanish FA issued a suspension, fine or rehabilitation type exercise it might have blown over by now.

Was other things except the kiss, he was also filmed grabbing his crotch during the game while being next to the Queen and her teenage daughter

He has caused a lot of headaches for the Spanish FA since he joined, am sure the authorities are happy to remove him. Sure he wasnt really thinking about his wife when he kissed Hermoso :P 

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was other things except the kiss, he was also filmed grabbing his crotch during the game while being next to the Queen and her teenage daughter

He has caused a lot of headaches for the Spanish FA since he joined, am sure the authorities are happy to remove him. Sure he wasnt really thinking about his wife when he kissed Hermoso :P 

Didn’t the FA back him (they threatened legal action against Hermoso’s lies). I’ve never known anything like this, absolutely mental. 

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Didn’t the FA back him (they threatened legal action against Hermoso’s lies). I’ve never known anything like this, absolutely mental. 

I think its more the Spanish government want him gone by the sounds of it. i am assuming Rubiales has lots of dirt on the FA and thats why they are backing him in an unwinnable situation

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â