Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Football is the only sport where people compare the women to the men.

@snementioned some others a page or 2 back.

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

You're not criticizing it as constructive critisicm but to provoke and create a negative reaction.

It’s just an observation that the top tier in 1 gender group is several tiers lower than in another. Nothing we say in here changes anything or matters really.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s just an observation that the top tier in 1 gender group is several tiers lower than in another.

No shit sherlock

I don't see a reason to point out something that obvious.

Everyone knows women can't compete with men in physical contact sports. There is no need to constantly point it out.

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

No shit sherlock

Everyone knows women can't compete with men in physical contact sports. There is no need to constantly point it out.

that's not what people are pointing out though...

the standard or quality of football played in the women's world cup final between two female teams will be lower than the quality in the men's final between 2 male teams

that is what i keep reading as being pointed out and I would agree with it

i also agree that it maybe doesn't need to be pointed out because the competition between the 2 female teams is still making for an enjoyable watch so you should just take it on its own merits but there is definitely a noticeable dip IMO that in say tennis and a wimbledon final doesn't exist

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Hard to see us getting passed the Aussies today, but you just never know. Still, the fact the Lionesses have reached the semi-finals given some of the performances we've seen is impressive.

Why not we are higher ranked and we know how to win tournaments. Home advantage is the one thing the Aussies have in their favour.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

So why does it matter the relative quality of the women's game versus the men's? I'm not sure why you'd want to make that point?

it doesn’t matter one iota.

I quite enjoy watching the games.

But it’s not ‘incorrect’ to compare them.

it’s not sexist to compare them.

It’s pretty much stating the obvious. 

It’s not the women’s game that I have an issue with at all.

it’s the oversensitive crap that makes it impossible to state an opinion about anything without people jumping down your throat.

Quite honestly if someone sarcastically said ‘oh yh, well done for stating the obvious’ - I’d have no issue with it at all.  Hell I’d wholeheartedly agree.

Im sorry, it’s just my frustrations from everyday life creeping over into this.  You really can’t have an opinion about anything these days without fear of offending someone - or being labelled as something-ist.

I really wish the Lionesses well, and I will watch it, and I will thoroughly enjoy it.. probably a whole lot more than I did watching our men get smashed 5-1.

But it isn’t ‘incorrect’ or ‘sexist’ to compare the men to the women.  Any more than it is ‘incorrect’ to compare a Casio calculator watch to a Patek-Phillipe.  It’s a comparison.  Nothing more.  Take what value you will from it, but there’s nothing ‘wrong’ with it.

The posters that have made the comments both clearly watched the games.  And it has even been said they had enjoyment from it.  The point is that there’s still a long way to go to where the women’s game is striding to reach.  Kinda obvious, but not a crime to say it.

I guess I just feel the whole world is reaching a place where big brother really is watching us, and it seems thought-crimes are already here.  
If you don’t toe the line of the narrative, you get berated - how long before it’s you reporting me and me getting flung in jail?

If you think women’s football is terrible, you should be allowed to say it.  If you think someone is a clearing in the woods for saying it, you should be allowed to say that too.  But just don’t change the truth.  

A lorry is bigger than a bike.

The sun is hotter than the moon.

Mens football is better than women’s football.

All obvious.  None ‘incorrect’.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

No shit sherlock

Stereotyping and sexist.

You need to rephrase that.

11 minutes ago, Thug said:

A lorry is bigger than a bike.

The sun is hotter than the moon.

Mens football is better than women’s football.

All obvious.  None ‘incorrect’.

Wrong. 'Bigger' and 'hotter' are quantifiable. 'Better' is not. It's totally subjective. 

And the football comparison is not remotely 'obvious'. 

It depends on what criteria you use. If (for example) you enjoy atmosphere, local passions, full-blooded tackling, dealing with muddy conditions (etc.), then you could justifiably say that a lower league local derby in a relegation battle on a wet Wednesday is 'better' than a cagey Champions League game at the Bernabeu. If your main criteria are player skill, sophistication and tactical nous, then it isn't. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wrong. 'Bigger' and 'hotter' are quantifiable. 'Better' is not. It's totally subjective. 

It depends on what criteria you use. If (for example) you enjoy atmosphere, local passions, full-blooded tackling, dealing with muddy conditions (etc.), then you could justifiably say that a lower league local derby in a relegation battle on a wet Wednesday is 'better' than a cagey Champions League game at the Bernabeu. If your main criteria are player skill, sophistication and tactical nous, then it isn't. 

Indeed you are correct.

So what you’re saying is that it ISN’T obvious that the men’s game is better.

so the posters who posted their feelings about it are NOT stating the obvious?

Edited by Thug

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thank you.

Ergo, men's football is not 'obviously' better than women's. 

We 100000000% agree.

Ergo anyone who posts their feelings about the women’s game is not stating the obvious.  So their opinion is valid, and not a waste of time.

Thank you.

Edited by Thug

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

that's kind of what I was getting at

the joy of football is that a conference playoff final can be a more entertaining, exciting, "better" game than a champions league final - at the same time there is obviously a difference in the standard

people should enjoy the women's game for what it is because it is still entertaining - at the same time there is obviously a difference in the standard

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â