Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Philogene was always coming back. I don’t think the plan was to sell Moussa. It helps the books sure, but it strikes me as he’s wanting the move more than our desire to sell - hence why we haven’t accepted the first offer. 

It’s probably neither him or the club that wanted him off. An irresistible offer came in that both Villa and Diaby liked. A win all round. 

• Like 1

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

It’s probably neither him or the club that wanted him off. An irresistible offer came in that both Villa and Diaby liked. A win all round. 

That’s also entirely possible. I’d agree with that. Moussa can set his family up for life with the ridiculous salary and live in Muslim country and work under a French legend. We continue our rebuild and cannot worry about issues PSR next year. 

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That’s also entirely possible. I’d agree with that. Moussa can set his family up for life with the ridiculous salary and live in Muslim country and work under a French legend. We continue our rebuild and cannot worry about issues PSR next year. 

Pretty much. 

and if there’s anything in the Felix/Williams/Raphinha links, then the replacement going to be pretty decent 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

When you consider Diaby only cost £35m or whatever, he had a pretty solid first season. I don't really understand the clamour from various posters on this site to get rid of him asap. Even before the Saudi interest. 

But hey ho, the money appears to be too good to turn down so I wish him the best of luck. 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

When you consider Diaby only cost £35m or whatever, he had a pretty solid first season. I don't really understand the clamour from various posters on this site to get rid of him asap. Even before the Saudi interest. 

But hey ho, the money appears to be too good to turn down so I wish him the best of luck. 

Because we can get a first choice player to replace a second choice player with the money we'll receive. 

17 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm sad he's leaving, he's got the best song.

This is the real reason he’s going. His song died when our Europa Conference League campaign died. We are no longer going to Athens, and it’s rather more complex to think of a new last line than it is to just send him off to the highest Saudi bidder. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, macandally said:

However, when Bailey came in 2-3 years ago, he beat himself more often than not, last night he was doing it again.

If you've spent 10 seconds thinking about a 45 minute cameo in a first pre-season game, it's 9.9 seconds too long.

I'm a bit in two minds about him going. Are people expecting Philogene to rip up the Premier League after doing well at Hull In the championship. Archer and Ramsey were brilliant for Boro tye season before. Tye step up is huge and maybe people think because Rogers made the transformation very easily that Philogene will too but football doesn't work thst way. If Diaby goes we have to get a replacement else the squad is going backwards. 

We might be in for a rude awakening next season If we are not careful. I have faith in Emery and Monchi but not blind faith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only problem I have with Diaby (which can be significant depending what we need in a particular game) is he just doesn’t go to compete for second balls with any kind of intent to win the ball. 

This isn't a problem when we are dominating possession, but when we were struggling to get out of our own half it becomes a problem.  

I became apparent that the nature of the Premier league intimidated Diaby into not wanting to try to win the ball in most situations. It meant when without the ball we were playing with 10 men. 

Add to that Bailey out performing him as a right winger, and both Mcginn and Tielemens being preferred as number 10's, along with Morgan Rogers emergence meant we have a 50m pound player that is a squad player. We don't have hte luxury to keep a 50m pound player around as a rotation option.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Are people expecting Philogene to rip up the Premier League after doing well at Hull In the championship. Archer and Ramsey were brilliant for Boro tye season before. Tye step up is huge and maybe people think because Rogers made the transformation very easily that Philogene will too but football doesn't work thst way

I am expecting him to rip it up. I am well aware some players are brilliant jumping from the Champ to the Prem, and some are not. I think everyone is aware of that. But I think Philogene will rip it up.

I am sad to see Diaby go though, I think like so many over the years he’s underrated on here.

Just now, Adam2003 said:

I am expecting him to rip it up. I am well aware some players are brilliant jumping from the Champ to the Prem, and some are not. I think everyone is aware of that. But I think Philogene will rip it up.

I am sad to see Diaby go though, I think like so many over the years he’s underrated on here.

Okay I hope you are right  we will have to wait and see. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I'm a bit in two minds about him going. Are people expecting Philogene to rip up the Premier League after doing well at Hull In the championship. Archer and Ramsey were brilliant for Boro tye season before. Tye step up is huge and maybe people think because Rogers made the transformation very easily that Philogene will too but football doesn't work thst way. If Diaby goes we have to get a replacement else the squad is going backwards. 

We might be in for a rude awakening next season If we are not careful. I have faith in Emery and Monchi but not blind faith.

So Ramsey was always seen as further behind Philogene and Archer. Philogene looked really good last preseason and me amongst a few fell he was ready for the Premier league then. 

Archer and Ramsey had only done it in the championship for half a season. Philogene was the best player in that league for the whole of last season.

Philogene if as I believe is replacing Diaby in the squad, then that is because Diaby wasn't any longer being seen as a First choice player. But rather rotation. So Philogene has been brought in as a rotation option.

Having a 50m pound player be a rotation doesn't make financial sense for Villa.

• Like 1

Ramsey wasn't seen as being behind Archer and Philogene, up until his injury issues last season he was ahead of both, he'd just had a better season than Philogene in the Championship, and was better at Middlebsrough than Archer, much better, also he he hadn't only done it for half a season, he was very good for both Norwich and Middlebrough across the entire season. There's a reason Philogene went to Hull in the Champioishp for £5m, and Aaron Ramsey got a Premier League move for more than double that.

As for Diaby, he had a very good season, with potential to get better, but also I think the very fact that he wants to go to Saudi, is probably a reason in itself why selling him is probably the right choice, because I'm not sure that says much about his motivation for football, if we can get a big fee in the process even better, if he wanted to stay I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be selling him

18 minutes ago, useless said:

I think the very fact that he wants to go to Saudi, is probably a reason in itself why selling him is probably the right choice, because I'm not sure that says much about his motivation for football

I think that’s harsh. As has been said before, for a Muslim, life in Saudi would be an easy transition and likely preferable to most European destinations. Add in a financial package that will ensure a lifetime of security for his family and it’s an ideal situation. I would think that the recent management of the club has underscored football is first and foremost a business. A player making a choice primarily motivated by financials is in line with the character of the modern game, and to me, not a reason to doubt their capability.

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

If you've spent 10 seconds thinking about a 45 minute cameo in a first pre-season game, it's 9.9 seconds too long.

Did you watch it?  

We have to take the silly Saudi money really don't we. I mean somebody who isn't even a 100% starter has to go for that price. He showed his undoubted class in parts last season but overall Luiz is the bigger loss in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

So Ramsey was always seen as further behind Philogene and Archer. Philogene looked really good last preseason and me amongst a few fell he was ready for the Premier league then. 

Archer and Ramsey had only done it in the championship for half a season. Philogene was the best player in that league for the whole of last season.

Philogene if as I believe is replacing Diaby in the squad, then that is because Diaby wasn't any longer being seen as a First choice player. But rather rotation. So Philogene has been brought in as a rotation option.

Having a 50m pound player be a rotation doesn't make financial sense for Villa.

Depends on your definition of rotation. 

34 minutes ago, remotevillan said:

We have to take the silly Saudi money really don't we. I mean somebody who isn't even a 100% starter has to go for that price. He showed his undoubted class in parts last season but overall Luiz is the bigger loss in my opinion.

Yes that's two players out of the team that finished  4th  I'm happy we are getting Onana in to booster the midfield. He's proven. Not technically as good as Luiz and they couid have played well together buy guess he had to go.  

If we sell Diaby I just hope we bring in someone as good  if not better. Philogene has proved himself in championship football not the Premier League yet 

Edited by PaulC

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â