Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Played more than any other player? That's a naughty way to put it.

He appeared more times yes, but 8 other players had more minutes than him (most of the team), and 5 of those had over 1000 minutes more than him.

The general naughtiness of the post grabbed my attention too

2 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

For all the people ingoring the huge dip in Diaby's form last season and how he looked like a weak link this is the article for you. A nice bit of analysis, some revealing stats, and Emery quotes. 

• Like 1

In Unai's first season I actually thought Bailey got better as the season wore on  and it would have been a mistake to sell him.

Almost feels like Diaby regressed a bit. As mentioned before, clearly a good player but if we can get big money for him and he wants to move on it probably suits all.

Not sure why it never clicked to me earlier that Philogene is probably the Diaby replacement, and Iling Jr the Zaniolo replacement.

Our big incoming money will go to other areas and on a more central player as others have pointed out.

When you think about it, outstanding business.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, villarule123 said:

People really do forget that Bailey was dead and buried here this time last season. We needed to sign Diaby because of that.

Now Bailey has transformed himself here, we can sell Diaby and strengthen elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Yep, the Bailey thread this time last year is a carbon copy of the Diaby thread now 🤣

As I keep saying though. Baily had been playing under Gerrard prior to that. Diaby has played exclusively under the coaching of Emery.  I don't think the Baily comparison stacks up.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

How are they throwing away their careers? They're getting paid a lot of money to do their job. With less pressure. You could argue they're actually playing the game better than anyone.

Looks like in certain cases they still get called up to international duty too and if Laporte / Kante are anything to go by probably looked fresher for playing in Saudi.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As I keep saying though. Baily had been playing under Gerrard prior to that. Diaby has played exclusively under the coaching of Emery.  I don't think the Baily comparison stacks up.

Bailey had 6 months under Emery, and hadn't really shown the progression that other players like Luiz, Ramsey, Watkins etc were showing when Emery took over.  Bailey was much worse in that November to May period in Emery's first season than Diaby was last season.

For what it's worth I don't think Diaby has been poor by any stretch.  Just a bit disappointing for the money and probably doesn't impose himself enough on games for where we want to be.  I'm sure Emery would be fighting tooth and nail to keep him if he felt he could contribute as he wishes him to in the next season.  He's seeing a bigger picture.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends where he plays. Last season he played central but also times when he was coming from the right where he was more effective.

Who do we have to slot in on the right if Bailey picks up a knock as will happen, basically last season it was Diaby or moving Tielemans or SJM there.

Nah, they are the same as me and you, you look for life security first and foremeost - its a life win, beyond any dreams. In a single contract at 24 y.o. he will earn €2.5m signing on and €15m tax free a year (not sure the length of contract). He has a young family and is a devout Muslim. He and his family will find the cultural shift easier than most in Saudi.

It has rained here since October too, which is likely a big factor.... 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Bailey had 6 months under Emery, and hadn't really shown the progression that other players like Luiz, Ramsey, Watkins etc were showing when Emery took over.  Bailey was much worse in that November to May period in Emery's first season than Diaby was last season.

As per my post above.  I'll trust Emery on this.  We don't seem to be trying to block this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As per my post above.  I'll trust Emery on this.  We don't seem to be trying to block this.

Same.  I think we'd let him go because of the money involved not because we don;t rate him, the money quoted it's too good to turn down.  But if he stays, i've no doubt he'll improve on last season.  So either way, we either get a bucket of cash and bring in someone better, or we keep him and he continues improving.

I think the plan is very simple:

Diaby out for an amount that pays for Onana and Joao Felix (if he agrees to come).

That for me is an absolute no-brainer. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Diaby out for an amount that pays for Onana and Joao Felix (if he agrees to come).

Yep, it's hard to say no to that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Can't tell if joking or not?  45 minutes in the first pre season friendly?  You're surely having a laugh?

I don’t read much into pre-season, it’s what it is, minutes in legs. 

However, when Bailey came in 2-3 years ago, he beat himself more often than not, last night he was doing it again.  Am I worried no, but Unai needs to get him back to doing the right things in the right areas. 

Take that as you will (plus noting this is the Diaby thread!)

24 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Onana and Philogene-Bidace for me. Bank the change (if there is any) so we're not on the cusp of PSR again.

Edited by Mr.Messy

Philogene was always coming back. I don’t think the plan was to sell Moussa. It helps the books sure, but it strikes me as he’s wanting the move more than our desire to sell - hence why we haven’t accepted the first offer. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â