Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

15 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

John Townley in the mud then because he spent an entire podcast saying he didn’t see us signing a replacement.

I think he suggested that we wouldn’t spend the money we get for Diaby on a replacement of the same value… receiving £65m to then spend £65m is a bit pointless. Might as well keep Diaby who is a decent player.

Philogene can be Diabys replacement, anyway. 

Edited by Tayls

13 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Interesting that it hints if we do sell him that we’ll get another replacement, not that someone we’ve already signed would play in his place.

13 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Yeah, that stood out to me too. I thought we wouldn’t replace him directly, but hey.

I read that as a second striker replacement rather than a winger replacement. Someone better able to play in the middle rather than the wing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Suspect it’s just a case of Monchi and Unai pricking their ears up at interest from Saudi, knowing they’d probably overpay.

Diaby has been fine. Good stats overall in a season where his form fluctuated. I’m doubt Unai is going out of his way to sell him, but I think he probably thinks we could get better for whatever price tag is being discussed.

I’d be fine with him staying, and I’d be fine with him leaving for big money. Selling players that aren’t guaranteed starters for big money is a good place to be as a club.

I’m here too. 

Second season Diaby would’ve been better but perhaps the adjustment isn’t as easy as Unai thought it would be. 

My belief is that Unai thought he would perform better in that second striker position and that was always his intended role. But he has a real weakness playing with his back to goal and linking play and….I’m not sure that can be fixed. 

His best performances were wider and with more space but that’s not something we will be able to afford frequently. 

For a reasonable fee, it is a win/win for all parties. Better to make the decision now than to carry wages and potentially waste time on a player that might always have unfulfilled potential. 

It is of similar ilk to Danny Ings. Could Ings have been useful? Yes - in the same way that Diaby can be useful. But ultimately, I don’t think either are a great fit for the way Unai wants to play. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well that all but confirms he is off 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Hard to infer it any other way as he's been shown in training so unlikely he's injured. If he's left out then you'd imagine the transfer is pretty close too.

Buzzing about the Diaby sale. This is an absolute gift from the Saudi’s. I’m certain we reinvest in a better way.

who else gets to sell a record signing who’s flattered to deceive for a profit?? I’m almost wondering if Monchi always had the Saudi option in mind as a back up in case it didn’t work out 

Edited by rodders129

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Hard to infer it any other way as he's been shown in training so unlikely he's injured. If he's left out then you'd imagine the transfer is pretty close too.

Gutted MB

Luiz and diaby two of my favourite villa players and been sold in same window. I know the windows still open but i really do think we look weaker from a attacking sense

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Officially have we signed JPB yet?  If not, then the article could simply be referring to him

54 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Interesting that it hints if we do sell him that we’ll get another replacement, not that someone we’ve already signed would play in his place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

It's not about making few quid. These players are being sold so we stay within psr regulations, don't get docked points. If there was no PSR, unlikely we would sell either of them. We have no choice but to wheel and deal.

The Dougie deal sorted the PSR issues. Diaby being sold has no relevance. 

That wasn't my point in it's entirety however, the main point being replacing the goals and assists both provided last season. It's a big void to fill. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Gutted MB

Luiz and diaby two of my favourite villa players and been sold in same window. I know the windows still open but i really do think we look weaker from a attacking sense

It's a big overhaul for sure. Losing a lot of goal contributions (over 40) from the 108 we scored.

I'm sure we'll strengthen to put ourselves in a better place though.

Onana will be different from Kamara and Luiz but bring some much needed steel to our midfield. Nothing saying we won't yet invest more in a more like for like replacement of Luiz also, although I'd say we don't really need to if we rotate Youri/Kamara/Barkley/Enzo and even McGinn alongside Onana depending on the opposition.

The money from any potential Diaby sale will be reinvested in a talent that Monchi and Unai are convinced will bring more to the table than Diaby. Possibly with fewer of the physical limitations his stature brings.

Second season Diaby could really have pushed on to bring more than just the end product he sometimes delivered, but his small frame could have meant he never imposed himself on the PL. Looks like we'll never know, but we've got the right team in place to make the right judgement about whether that was more likely to happen than a guaranteed £60m sale might improve us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The Dougie deal sorted the PSR issues. Diaby being sold has no relevance. 

That wasn't my point in it's entirety however, the main point being replacing the goals and assists both provided last season. It's a big void to fill. 

We have PSR to comply with this year as well. It didn't end last season.

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

We have PSR to comply with this year as well. It didn't end last season.

We still didn't needed to sell off Diaby though. 

10 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

Buzzing about the Diaby sale. This is an absolute gift from the Saudi’s. I’m certain we reinvest in a better way.

who else gets to sell a record signing who’s flattered to deceive for a profit?? I’m almost wondering if Monchi always had the Saudi option in mind as a back up in case it didn’t work out 

I was super pumped when we signed him and thought he’d be immense for us and showed glimpses but I truly believe he’s too lightweight for this league. It really rattled him the aggression and physicality of the league and I don’t think he’s got the mongrel to overcome that aspect of our league. Either way it’s most definitely a huge gift and hopefully we strike gold on the second attempt lol

• Like 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

We still didn't needed to sell off Diaby though. 

Maybe true. But maybe we've identified and persuaded someone we think fits better to replace him,  and could only afford to do that by selling him. That's a PSR issue, as im sure we'd keep him and sell/loan someone else less relevant to the first team if PSR wasn't a thing. 

Just now, CroVillan said:

I was super pumped when we signed him and thought he’d be immense for us and showed glimpses but I truly believe he’s too lightweight for this league. It really rattled him the aggression and physicality of the league and I don’t think he’s got the mongrel to overcome that aspect of our league. Either way it’s most definitely a huge gift and hopefully we strike gold on the second attempt lol

I'd have said the exact same thing about Bailey after hed spent more than a season with us.

15 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

What exactly does flatter to deceive mean? He wasn’t a record signing either (he cost under £35m). 

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'd have said the exact same thing about Bailey after hed spent more than a season with us.

Yeah maybe but you could tell Bailey had fire in his eyes and was visibly pissed when he wasn’t firing. Diaby just drops his shoulders, chin and loses every bit of confidence 

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It's a big overhaul for sure. Losing a lot of goal contributions (over 40) from the 108 we scored.

I'm sure we'll strengthen to put ourselves in a better place though.

Onana will be different from Kamara and Luiz but bring some much needed steel to our midfield. Nothing saying we won't yet invest more in a more like for like replacement of Luiz also, although I'd say we don't really need to if we rotate Youri/Kamara/Barkley/Enzo and even McGinn alongside Onana depending on the opposition.

The money from any potential Diaby sale will be reinvested in a talent that Monchi and Unai are convinced will bring more to the table than Diaby. Possibly with fewer of the physical limitations his stature brings.

Second season Diaby could really have pushed on to bring more than just the end product he sometimes delivered, but his small frame could have meant he never imposed himself on the PL. Looks like we'll never know, but we've got the right team in place to make the right judgement about whether that was more likely to happen than a guaranteed £60m sale might improve us.

I think we may regret the diabs sale. I think he gets better and  better. I dont think JPB is his level yet.

I think from a defensive point of view we look stronger but offensively weaker. Luiz and diabs were focal points in our goals and creativity as you alluded to.

Italian Journo who is followed by Ornstein and had some updates on this deal in previous days:

"Deal in the final throes. Al Ittihad Club is one step closer to buying Moussa #Diaby from Aston Villa #AVFC"

• Thanks 1

On 09/05/2024 at 22:28, R.Bear said:

Outside of just calling him rubbish. He can't beat a man, provides terrible final balls/crosses and has awful decision making. Three attributes that you do NOT want from an attacking midfielder/winger.

His form isn't the issue, its his ability and weaknesses that more than concern me. The team that sold him are about to win the treble unbeaten. Not only have they not missed him, they've improved exponentially.

I'm thrilled we're selling him. Emery knows he'll never make it in the Premier League. Yes he started well but like a relationship, you only know where you're at after you have your first argument. Everything's easy when its all lovey dovey.

He lost form, had a bad patch and was too mentally weak to get out of it. Looked scared on the ball and just wanted to get rid of it and wouldn't dare take players on. If he goes to Saudi then that sums him up. Wants the easy life where there's no pressure to perform.

The comparisons with Bailey that are made every page are foolish. Even when he was bad you could see the talent and what he was trying to do and fought hard to adapt to the league and make his presence felt.

This guy will never do that and you're a fool if you cant see it. I did. Emery did. Good riddance.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â