Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

9 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Suspect it’s just a case of Monchi and Unai pricking their ears up at interest from Saudi, knowing they’d probably overpay.

Diaby has been fine. Good stats overall in a season where his form fluctuated. I’m doubt Unai is going out of his way to sell him, but I think he probably thinks we could get better for whatever price tag is being discussed.

I’d be fine with him staying, and I’d be fine with him leaving for big money. Selling players that aren’t guaranteed starters for big money is a good place to be as a club.

He's not been bad, he's just not been 50 million good. If someone willing to pay above the odds for a non-essential piece (Ollie, Emi) you have to take it in this FFP world

• Like 1

I think selling Diaby (if we make a profit) makes perfect sense.  We have Rogers, Buendia, Illing Jr, Dobbins, McGinn, Ramsey, Tielemans and Bailey (and possibly Philogene) who can all replace him in the central/right attacking positions.  If we continue to play with three primary attacking players, with Watkins as one of them, we have plenty of depth in that part of the field.

My only concern with our attacking depth is centre-forward if Duran leaves, but I suppose Rogers and Dobbins may be able to play there... ?

7 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Not as much as I am in myself! Serves me right for being a smart arse.

You are forgiven, no one can be at 100% all of the time. Humility is healthy too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think it's just a case of the money on the table for him is too good to turn down. 

But I think there is a risk of ripping up a good squad who all seem to be getting on well just to make a bit more money. If it upsets the balance of the side and we take time to gell then that could cost us in the league next/this season. I thought we have done all of that with the deals last month. The team did not need heavy surgery just a few tweaks and adding some squad depth.

Edited by The Fun Factory

58 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

But I think there is a risk of ripping up a good squad who all seem to be getting on well just to make a bit more money. If it upsets the balance of the side and we take time to gell then that could cost us in the league next/this season. I thought we have done all of that with the deals last month. The team did not need heavy surgery just a few tweaks and adding some squad depth.

Pretty much where I'm at tbh... It's all well and good looking at making a few quid on player sales but there is no guarantee replacements will fit the squad any better. Also, factor in Luiz and Diaby had nearly 40 goal contributions between them and then you've a real problem ensuring we cover that deficit with who we replace them with.   

• Like 1

Bit gutted not to see second season Diaby but that also makes it easier to say goodbye. If rumours are true it's a big fee and can see why club happy to sell.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Pretty much where I'm at tbh... It's all well and good looking at making a few quid on player sales but there is no guarantee replacements will fit the squad any better. Also, factor in Luiz and Diaby had nearly 40 goal contributions between them and then you've a real problem ensuring we cover that deficit with who we replace them with.   

It's not about making few quid. These players are being sold so we stay within psr regulations, don't get docked points. If there was no PSR, unlikely we would sell either of them. We have no choice but to wheel and deal.

Edited by Czarnikjak

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

👀 

time to put those green bars away 😆

The numbers he's got there are lies. I can make up false Assists per 90 stats and put Diaby and Baileys names beside them. 

However Opta say Bailey had 0.39, Watkins 0.36 and Diaby 0.33 assists per 90 in PL last season 

What they've done I would assume is average Bailey's stats over his 3 seasons at Villa to make the numbers look lower than Diaby.

Edited by CVByrne

26 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The numbers he's got there are lies. I can make up false Assists per 90 stats and put Diaby and Baileys names beside them. 

However Opta say Bailey had 0.39, Watkins 0.36 and Diaby 0.33 assists per 90 in PL last season 

What they've done I would assume is average Bailey's stats over his 3 seasons at Villa to make the numbers look lower than Diaby.

Stats are such bollocks. They tell maybe 50% of the picture. People need to watch the players themselves and make an opinion. 

• Haha 1

Little tid bit from the Percy, Onana article.

Villa are in talks with Saudi Arabian club Al-Ittihad over a deal to sell winger Moussa Diaby.

The £35 million signing from Bayer Leverkusen has been a long-term target for clubs in Saudi Arabia and is expected to leave after just one season, though it is understood any transfer is not imminent as Villa work on finding a replacement.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Little tid bit from the Percy, Onana article.

Interesting that it hints if we do sell him that we’ll get another replacement, not that someone we’ve already signed would play in his place.

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Interesting that it hints if we do sell him that we’ll get another replacement, not that someone we’ve already signed would play in his place.

Yeah, that stood out to me too. I thought we wouldn’t replace him directly, but hey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

John Townley in the mud then because he spent an entire podcast saying he didn’t see us signing a replacement.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â