Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

22 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Using stats to defend Diaby is no different than using stats to defend Southgate....

Neither pass the eye test...

Most successful English manager since 1966 😉, let's see the next one bringing in Joga Bonito and crashing out in the group stage. 

Anyway Moussa delivered huge contribution to our season - goals and assists are not just stats they bring points - if you would base the argument on passing ratio or something similarly overhyped stats then I might agree with you.

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't know the answer to this because I haven't looked at the individual game stats, but I'll ask the question .... How many points did Diaby's 6 league goals and 8 assists contribute to our 4th position finish in the PL? Would we have qualified for the Champions League without Moussa's contribution? I'm not a 'stats person' but sometimes numbers do have relevance.

Dunno, but I could argue that another player at his cost could've achieved the same outcome.

It is the same as the "Southgate did a great job" argument...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't know the answer to this because I haven't looked at the individual game stats, but I'll ask the question .... How many points did Diaby's 6 league goals and 8 assists contribute to our 4th position finish in the PL? Would we have qualified for the Champions League without Moussa's contribution? I'm not a 'stats person' but sometimes numbers do have relevance.

Matches: 10; Goals: 10; Wins: 7; Draws: 0; Defeats: 3; Points average: 2.10 ; Game winning goals: 3   

Premier League 1 A Aston Villa (4.) Newcastle United Newcastle  (7.) 5:1 AM 11' 1:1 Right-footed shot
Premier League 3 A Aston Villa (9.) Burnley FC Burnley  (12.) 1:3 AM 61' 1:3 Left-footed shot
Premier League 10 H Aston Villa (5.) Luton Town Luton  (16.) 3:1 CF 49' 2:0 Left-footed shot
UEFA Conference League Gruppenphase H Aston Villa Legia Warszawa Legia Warszawa 2:1 CF 4' 1:0 Left-footed shot
Premier League 20 H Aston Villa (4.) Burnley FC Burnley  (19.) 3:2 SS 42' 2:1 Right-footed shot
FA Cup 4.Runde H Aston Villa Chelsea FC Chelsea 1:3 LW 90'+1 1:3 Left-footed shot
UEFA Conference League Achtelfinale H Aston Villa Ajax Amsterdam Ajax 4:0 CF 81' 4:0 Left-footed shot
Premier League 30 H Aston Villa (4.) Wolverhampton Wanderers Wolves  (10.) 2:0 CF 36' 1:0 Left-footed shot
Premier League 34 H Aston Villa (4.) AFC Bournemouth Bournemouth  (10.) 3:1 AM 57' 2:1 Right-footed shot
UEFA Conference League Halbfinale H Aston Villa Olympiacos Piraeus Olympiacos 2:4 AM 52' 2:2 Right-footed shot

https://www.transfermarkt.com/moussa-diaby/alletore/spieler/395516/plus/0?saison=2023&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&minute=&pos=&torart=&stand=

1 minute ago, vazquez said:

Most successful English manager since 1966 😉, let's see the next one bringing in Joga Bonito and crashing out in the group stage. 

Anyway Moussa delivered huge contribution to our season - goals and assists are not just stats they bring points - if you would base the argument on passing ratio or something similarly overhyped stats then I might agree with you.

Successful 🤣

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's probably been mentioned a few times already .... 10 goals and 9 assists in all matches (league and cups). That's not an insignificant return from a player in his first season with us. He will be a valuable asset if he stays, and of course I accept that he will also be a valuable sour³ce of investment capital if he's sold for £60 million approx. 

It is not insignificant, however I think that's close to what's expected from someone playing that many mins in those positions for Unai's Villa.

I do believe his issues last season were definitely confidence and thud you'd hope in the new season that should be corrected and his performances would improve.

With Bailey playing as he is, Diaby is 2nd choice on the right. He can play SS and possibly up front alone once/if confidence is regained. However that isnt is best position. So once the Saudi interest came along, makes total sense to get JBP as Bailey's understudy (especially as hes homegrown and doesn't take one of the 21 spots)

Now if they can sell him and Duran then they can go pretty big on Unai's preferred 10/back up Striker, whether 1 can fit or if we need 2. My thoughts are 2 will be difficult with squad size and playing time etc.

This makes selling Diaby a great move for building Unai's Villa but does not mean he has not been good and cannot improve or anything on his mentality. The fact the sauidi's are offering what they are and more importantly what Villa need to move him on shows he is still highly thought of.

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

This is a great question that intrigued me.

Moussa's goals earned us an extra 3 points in the PL and his total goal contributions (G&A) earned us a total of 15 points over the course of the season.

It's really difficult to look at these stats in isolation because there are so many variables it becomes impossible to calculate but this is still quite interesting.

I will fully understand if we sell Moussa Diaby in order to fund the signing of one or two key positions that Emery may still intend to strengthen.

I will also be very happy if Moussa stays and hits top form for us next season. Emery and Monchi seem to have a really positive and well planned agenda.

24 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

You can do that with loads of other players too. Zaniolo, Duran. Diaby had more minutes than either of them too, and I wonder if all their minutes were applied into points per minute they would all be quite similar. It's not the definitive argument winner. 

24 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

Look at this Mickey Mouse logic

It is, as that’s what I’m responding to.

Edited by Steero113

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

It is, as that’s what I’m responding to.

(I’m agreeing with you, just wanted to use that phrase)

• Thanks 1

I don’t think there’s a genuine answer to this question, because it’s impossible to prove. 

Yet it’s an interesting ponder. How much of Diaby’s goal contributions are a factor of his individual brilliance or from the system play? Would any other quality player of the same type got the similar numbers, or Diaby was that vital?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Successful 🤣

Delusional English supporters think that they should win any competition, cause they have team full of familiar PL players 😘.

This might come as a shock but there is football outside the PL, as much as Gareth frustrates you (and me), getting to two finals and WC semifinals is not something I expect the next manager to achieve, whether its Klopp, Mourinho or Ancelotti. England has solid team, but nothing spectacular, goalkeepers are not good enough and defense is lacking leadership. Let's face it England 2010 was by far superior to current team.

Edited by vazquez

7 minutes ago, vazquez said:

Delusional English supporters think that they should win any competition, cause they have team full of familiar PL players 😘.

This might come as a shock but there is football outside the PL, as much as Gareth frustrates you (and me), getting to two finals and WC semifinals is not something I expect the next manager to achieve, whether its Klopp, Mourinho or Ancelotti. England has solid team, but nothing spectacular, goalkeepers are not good enough and defense is lacking leadership. Let's face it England 2010 was by far superior to current team.

there’s the Other Football board for this chat. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe917ez8i3kwzs7uvk5qty

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vazquez said:

Your last sentence I disagree with.... 

This England squad is the most balanced and talented I have ever seen.

And I'm an Aussie who doesn't have any love for our oppressive overlords 😁

• Like 1

Guys we almost had a reasonable discussion there for a bit and then it got wrecked by some rickey gervais ego size leap between agreeing to go play in saudi arabia and being mentally fragile.

Bollocks to that basement tier take.

1 minute ago, Anything11 said:

Guys we almost had a reasonable discussion there for a bit and then it got wrecked by some rickey gervais ego size leap between agreeing to go play in saudi arabia and being mentally fragile.

Bollocks to that basement tier take.

Ricky Gervais is my hero...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â