Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Didn't see the percy links.

Tanswell, I don't think he knows anything, he just seems to regurgitate what others say.

It’s back a million pages, but Percy said their was “interest” but no bids.. 

that’s the general consensus of all the reports so far. 

I agree with you on Tanswell, but he’s also tapped in to the Athletic group chat. If daddy Ornstein says its ok, it’s ok 

• Like 2

For 60 million+ and add ons, we’d be silly not to sell. These opportunities don’t come along all that often…

Put the funds toward players that make our first 11 stronger.

• Like 2

If the Saudi move has been left on the table since last year then what chance he never really focused 100% on Villa. Must have been nagging at him, all that extra money still a possibility, overlooked for the French squad, not always starting for Villa - you can see how a move this summer has all the necessary ingredients.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why would anyone be sad about this?

It’s not like he’s some £5-10m player we’ve taken a gamble on from the lower leagues. I imagine, with the add ons paid, he’s probably our record signing and he’s at best, a bench option this season.

We’re being given the chance to get rid of what could be (provided he doesn’t improve massively) a very expensive mistake by the club. 

People need to think more about what we’re going to invest in and buy rather than losing sleep over some expensive dusty baller who was mediocre at best last season. 

"Why would anyone be sad about this?" is such an odd question.

I don't know, it's just the way my brain has reacted to the reports. Sorry?

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think there is plenty of space in this team for diaby.  I would be starting diaby ahead of JPB to begin with. JPB played at much lower level in championship and diaby has shown he can mix it up in this league.

Once JPB has his settled then its down to whoever does better. We need competition so having diabs and JPB as options helps massively 

I would be trying to cash in on digne and moreno instead of diaby

I suspect we are trying to cash in on Digne and Moreno as well - it doesn't have to be an either/or. 
The reality is that Diaby is an asset we can sell for good money - both in cash and PSR terms. Digne and Moreno are not.

I also disagree that there is plenty of room for Diaby in the team; he is behind Bailey currently so he doesn't get in the team.
We also have Philogene to play the winger role, and Illing Junior on the other side (who could play inverted). We cannot just stockpile players when £50m+ is on the table - it probably won't be there in a year, so this feels like a smart deal to make.
The reality for me is that Rogers, McGinn, Buendia and Tielemans are ahead of Diaby in the #10 (SS) role, and in the combined wide forward roles we now have Bailey, Ramsey, Rogers, Philogene, Illing Junior, plus McGinn and Maatsen who can play there - 7 players who can cover 2 positions, without Diaby.

I really think he could have stepped up this season, but circumstances right now with Bailey's improvement, and Rogers coming in a progressing well, mean that Diaby isn't needed, so we can turn a quick profit and thank him for his contribution.  

• Like 2

I think if the “significant profit” bit is true I’d be willing to let Diaby go. 

Having said that I think he has potential to be a really top player. Look at Bailey from season 1 to season 2! 

He’s also always fit. I think I’m right in saying he played every league game last season. 

8 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Apology accepted.

• Haha 1

Back of a fag packet calculations -

Purchased for £35m, amortised over a 5 year contract and he's been here for a year.

£35m - £7m = £28m book value.

£60m bid from Saudi = £32m profit.

That is based on no add on being triggered, however.

14 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

My reaction is the same as yours, I feel he has a lot to offer here and will only get better. Feels a shame to let him go so quickly, but if reports are true and they are willing to spend big on him and we turn a large profit I am sure Monchi and Emery will bring in someone just as exciting. If this deal does go through it really does highlight what we already knew that football finance is really ruling a lot of the decision making.

• Like 1

I think he's a good player that should improve but he's also probably the clubs highest paid player. If he wants to leave and the club can use the salary and transfer fee elsewhere then it feels a no brainer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

My thoughts exactly. Also we would not let him go without replacement lined up. Weakening the team with a second key player sold is highly unlikely without a replacement. So all seems complicated even if I'm sure the interest in genuine.

Also we just take for granted Diaby would want to go there having turned down a move to Saudi last summer 

Except The Athletic have just come out and said it is real.

Head out of the sand my dudes there is legs to this. Diaby is a quality player but he may not be as suited to our play/the prem as we thought.

I don't see this as a Bailey situation whereby he was trying and failing to do his thing for a long time. Diaby has been quality in his moments but otherwise he just doesn't seem to fit either out wide like Bailey or SS next to Watkins.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

I don't think Diaby is a key player for us.

He played every PL game last season. He is a key player. Like Luiz was. If he moves on he needs replacing with someone who will be the regular starter in the same position. The same way as Luiz left and Onana is joining. 

It'll be a shame if he goes. He looked brilliant in the first part of the season. Lost some form but did then show some flashes of brilliance again. I had a feeling that he would've really broken out this season, similar to Bailey. It's also a shame to see a player who's only 25 going over to Saudi (unless he only goes for a couple of years and then comes back to a decent league at 27/28).

There was mention on the Claret & Blue podcast that we likely wouldn't look for a replacement if he goes, as Philogene has come in.

If he moves on for £50m which seems to be numbers bandied about then we'll book over £22m in profit for PSR which is good work if we manage it. However we need a replacement and would hope we have something in pipeline before we even allowed home to leave 

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He played every PL game last season. He is a key player. Like Luiz was. If he moves on he needs replacing with someone who will be the regular starter in the same position. The same way as Luiz left and Onana is joining. 

I don't think he was a key player. Every time Luiz was fit and available he started the game. More often than not (after his good start). when diaby was fit and available he was on the bench.

Also at no point when he was missing I though "diaby is not starting, we are **** here". Compare that to Watkins, Martinez, Luiz or Mcginn...people would piss their pants predicting armagedon when one of them was missing.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â