Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Huh? I think you have just written your own script and its a fictional one

Explain.

We may sell Diaby. He in the main featured most of last season.

If we sign Bidace and he is looked upon as a direct replacement,  that's not comparable.

One has played consistent top level football at Leverkusen and Villa. 

One played ok for hull in the championship for one season. To me it's a big gamble.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I feel that overall the feeling people are getting is exacerbated by the myth that he cost £50m. 

He didn't. 

He wasn't even our record signing. 

He's had a perfectly good start to life in English football, an above average start even you could make a case for. 

It was widely reported from reputable sources of €50m + €10m add ons, which at the time was a total of £51m inc add ons. We have no idea what the terms of the add ons were or what % had been paid out but it stands to reason he cost somewhere in the region of £42-51m which is our record signing

Just now, david-avfc said:

It was widely reported from reputable sources of €50m + €10m add ons, which at the time was a total of £51m inc add ons. We have no idea what the terms of the add ons were or what % had been paid out but it stands to reason he cost somewhere in the region of £42-51m which is our record signing

The club have never, ever, commented on him being our record signing. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2023/july/22/villa-announce-diaby-signing/

Both Collomosse and Ornstein, who are two of our more reliable sources, have stated that the initial fee was £35m. Given that the club have never stated that he's our record signing, I tend to go with our reputable sources on this one. 

If he's had such a terrible season as lots are making out, then he won't have triggered those addons :D 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Explain.

We may sell Diaby. He in the main featured most of last season.

If we sign Bidace and he is looked upon as a direct replacement,  that's not comparable.

One has played consistent top level football at Leverkusen and Villa. 

One played ok for hull in the championship for one season. To me it's a big gamble.

If we sell Diaby, no one knows who the replacement will be. I leave that stuff to our management and recruiting team. If Bidace is the direct replacement it will be because Unai believes he is capable. Thats all I need to know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Stats can say what they like. 

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Hang on, are you trying to say that stats can say what they like?

• Haha 1

Started off last season well, completely disappeared in the winter and then scored some decent goals in the run in without playing amazing.

I think that's a fair summary of his debut season. It wasn't amazing but it was better than Bailey's so that's all the context needed for patience with him.

I wouldn't sell. He did alright for Leverkusen in the CL and given he scored a few in the Europa those games probably suit him more than premier league.

I also think we should just play him out wide and get him cutting in rather than a number 10 but then our formation doesn't really allow that unless we get a tonne of injuries.

Patience the buzzword for sure with Diaby.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Post after post not two or three pages ago explaining how this is total rubbish (in addition to that not actually being a word in the English language). He was effective, was one of our best passers and ball retainers and was third top in terms of contributions of goals and assists. 

More unrelenting nonsense from you as per. 

Let’s see if he is sold then just like another of your favourites.

Edited by striker

While I think Diaby would improve further with a season under his belt I think if we're selling him for 60 and replacing with Philogene as wide cover, because realistically Diaby was behind Bailey and coming off the bench, as WELL as a Joao Felix to further strengthen us centrally it's an overall upgrade on the squad and we're banking profit as well.  Good business for mine

5 hours ago, Steero113 said:

The club have never, ever, commented on him being our record signing. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2023/july/22/villa-announce-diaby-signing/

Both Collomosse and Ornstein, who are two of our more reliable sources, have stated that the initial fee was £35m. Given that the club have never stated that he's our record signing, I tend to go with our reputable sources on this one. 

If he's had such a terrible season as lots are making out, then he won't have triggered those addons :D 

That is crazy good business to sign him for 35m.
As he signed a 5 year deal his current book value would be 28m so whatever we get above that is an FFP profit and of course we save the 7m per season of amortisation off the accounts.

It all comes down to the fee. If it is 60m pounds plus then it is difficult to turn down, if it is like 48m then I'd pass

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

That is crazy good business to sign him for 35m.
As he signed a 5 year deal his current book value would be 28m so whatever we get above that is an FFP profit and of course we save the 7m per season of amortisation off the accounts.

It all comes down to the fee. If it is 60m pounds plus then it is difficult to turn down, if it is like 48m then I'd pass

If we sell him we're bringing in a top replacement ala Felix

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Exactly. No way JPB is his direct replacement. 

JPB hasn't played any top flight football, let alone PL football or Europe. Diaby has played 9 Champions League games across 3 seasons. He's played a total of 48 European games on top of all his top flight experience. 

• Like 1

Diaby's best performances came in the first few months of last season and I think that was due, as much as anything, to Bailey only being used as a sub for PL games at the time. Even though Diaby has nominally been the second striker in most games, he had license to roam out to the right in those early appearances (and he wasn't stepping into a winger's space). I think the Man City and Arsenal home games were a turning point: Diaby started neither game and Bailey was instrumental in both victories. Perhaps Emery considered Leon to be peripheral up to then but those performances made him a guaranteed starter? And since then, Diaby has looked less comfortable knowing where to be with Bailey outside (as opposed to McGinn or another midfielder in the RM position). And yes, he and Leon played well together at Leverkusen, but that was usually with Diaby on the left in a front three. 

As much as I'd like to see Moussa stay, I think that a more natural no. 10/second striker could be more effective in his current position. 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Is this actually happening? I see lots of speculation based on very little - we don’t even know what the fee might be?

So far very little linking him bar one twitter guy which has been reported. Then Jacob Tanswell said on 1874 podcast about interest (they also said Philogene wouldn't be returning to Villa and a matter of hours later his return was announced). 

So my guess is they're both just speaking opinions based on same information as we have. So it comes back to that one tweet as far as I can see. 

• Like 1

As much as I would love him too, I can’t see how he stays to be honest. We have so many options for wide positions, especially with Philogene joining as well.

Bailey will likely be first choice for that position, so having someone like Diaby on the bench, although quality, doesn’t make financial sense if we are also needing to strengthen other parts of the team.

We already have a big squad so some players will have to leave for us to push on, even if it’s a surprise or slightly disappointing.

We have to be pragmatic due to PSR and if an offer for Diaby makes financial sense, then we should go for it. 

This summer is seemingly all about squad building and it'd be amazing if Emery had a full XI and bench that he trusts, rates and can play his system. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Is this actually happening? I see lots of speculation based on very little - we don’t even know what the fee might be?

It’s all just speculation still. Waiting to see if anything more concrete comes. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â