Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

31 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Perhaps he hasn't settled and would like to leave. He comes across as a really lovely, sweet bloke but maybe Villa is just not his cup of tea. We just don't know what - if anything at all - is going on yet.

Either way I don't think we saw the best of him last season but we saw glimpses of what he could be. I don't think we really played to his strengths until the last 5-6 games and by that time his confidence in front of goal was pretty shaky. 

Either way I think we now have the drawing power to take the profits we might get from selling him and spin them into gold and keep building to Emery's vision. 

Who knows? I think as a Muslim it's a much easier transition to live in Saudi for him than players who aren't, so that potential obstacle is lifted, and if they're serious about wanting him, they're probably going to treble his salary at the very least. He's just had a very tiring, intense season for us and he's being offered a lot more money for something far easier - a lot of players might be interested by that. 

The bit in bold I certainly agree with. Diaby was a very high-profile coup for us last season, proving that we could sign players of his calibre/standing in Europe, but with CL to offer and having had a season to work out exactly what Emery wants to do, I can see why we'd move in another direction. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Diaby got 10 goals and 9 assists, won player of the month twice, once in August and once in March and will kick on next season.

People forget how Tielemans got better over time. Diaby starting well seems to be the thing held against him most. 

So if Diaby improves next season he'll get what 25+ goals+assists? 

But what will his all round performances be like?

• Thanks 1

If Diaby going means we can bring in two good players, so be it.  I trust Unai and it's not as if we don't already have the replacements in. 

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

With out-and-out attackers like Diaby, you look at their output first and foremost - goals, assists, GCA, SCA, KP etc. because that's his primary job. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He performed well last season. Had a bit of a lull in winter and came back strong. 

His output has been excellent 3rd on G+A per 90 behind Watkins and Bailey. Second only to Bailey in shot creating actions per 90 from open play. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

He might kick on, he might not. But it's not often a club pays one of their highest ever transfer fees, the player has a mixed season, and he can still be sold for around 50% profit the following Summer. The financial rules being the way they are, we're not really in a position to turn down that kind of money for someone who's not even a guaranteed starter.

Bring back JP(B) in the extra home-grown space for less money, also sell Duran, and go big on someone else who slots into a position we need to fill more then we'll be better off in terms of both overall squad and PSR.

Exactly this. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lexicon said:

With out-and-out attackers like Diaby, you look at their output first and foremost - goals, assists, GCA, SCA, KP etc. because that's his primary job. 

So if someone is hindering our ability to keep possession and panicking on the ball frequently, yet nabbing an assist or a key pass on one of many counter opportunities (because we're having to counter as we can't keep the ball) you see that as a positive contribution overall?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

He might kick on, he might not. But it's not often a club pays one of their highest ever transfer fees, the player has a mixed season

He cost less than Buendía. Six goals and eight assists in the league despite being out of position often. Better stats than the likes of Maddison. I'm honestly baffled - what is a good season then? 

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Well yeah, cos he didn't miss most of it injured. 

But longterm, JJ is more important to this club than Diaby. 

And an inform JJ is a better player than an inform Diaby. 

Is he? Im not so sure about that. Look at diabys stats for his first season thats on par with anything ransey has done here.

Diaby suffered from low confidence and fatigue thats all. Its going to be a massive mistake selling. If JPB is his replacement then sadly i think we are going backwards as a club. Not saying that is indeed the case but just if that scenerio arose

• Like 1

Bertie T had a "good" season that one time with x number of goals and assists, but let's be honest, he was average at best.

Not saying Diaby is the same, but just making the point.

3 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Bertie T had a "good" season that one time with x number of goals and assists, but let's be honest, he was average at best.

Not saying Diaby is the same, but just making the point.

I know what you are getting at but i always thought traore had a bit of meh/laziness in his game. I rarely saw traore busting a gut going back helping with the defensive work like diaby does.

I for one see a far superior player in diaby compared to traore

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I know what you are getting at but i always thought traore had a bit of meh/laziness in his game. I rarely saw traore busting a gut going back helping with the defensive work like diaby does.

I for one see a far superior player in diaby compared to traore

Oh, no doubt about that--I totally agree.

I think Diaby had a good season, I think he hasn't shown anywhere near his full potential for us yet. BUT, I also think in this current climate with PSR etc, to "flip" him at a substantial profit will be something we will struggle to turn down. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He cost less than Buendía. Six goals and eight assists in the league despite being out of position often. Better stats than the likes of Maddison. I'm honestly baffled - what is a good season then? 

Okay, he had a decent season, but it does have to be judged relative to being one of biggest transfers/presumably highest earners and also with a view on his game and not just stats. "Mixed" was in reference to his form, which I think everyone would agree had its ups and downs (POTMs, and dropping off a cliff), while he evidently had numbers for the season.

I'm not trying to knock him, I like the guy and the player, he contributed a lot clearly and he could get better. My arguments were more on the financial and squad space size.

Edited by fightoffyour

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Oh, no doubt about that--I totally agree.

I think Diaby had a good season, I think he hasn't shown anywhere near his full potential for us yet. BUT, I also think in this current climate with PSR etc, to "flip" him at a substantial profit will be something we will struggle to turn down. 

Yeah its a tough one but for me i dont think 60m is worth the sale. Didnt we pay 50m on him so would only be a 10m profit?

I think if you were entering the realms of £70-80m mark then thats more difficult to reject.

I do think diaby will be a bit challenging to replace tbh

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah its a tough one but for me i dont think 60m is worth the sale. Didnt we pay 50m on him so would only be a 10m profit?

I think if you were entering the realms of £70-80m mark then thats more difficult to reject.

I do think diaby will be a bit challenging to replace tbh

It was an initial £30-35m, I think we discovered yesterday, as per Ornstein.

• Thanks 1

Until I see something somewhat official on this transfer, I'm not getting my knickers in a twist.

Journalism around Saudi transfers is a total circus and I don't truly believe that someone we shelled out for last season, who Emery clearly rates highly, would be kicked out the door at the first opportunity. Some on here will remember certain journalists last year stating that Diaby had snubbed us to join a Saudi team when he was on the cusp of signing and it turned out to be total waffle.

Stay calm.

9 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

10 goals and 9 assists in first season isn’t contributing?  What exactly do you classify as contributing?

Thing is, he also looked like a passenger for the second half of the season (while getting a couple of goals and assists). 

Aside from a nice goal/cross or two he looked really ineffective on the ball for the rest of the time, and in a way that was kind of worrying considering his pedigree and price. He lost the ball a lot too. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â