Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

Just now, Steero113 said:

If he does go, we need a couple of absolutely nailed on starters in the mould of Olmo or Felix, that sort of level. 

Exactly.  No more projects and castoffs. If we're selling starters, we have to replace them with starters. We're not trying to win accountants of the year here. Well some on here probably are. But we're currently down 2 starters on last year if he goes, heading into a CL season, and we're already OK for PSR.  And he's the only player who played in all 38 games last season, so he will be missed. I was expecting big things from him this season.

• Like 4

Just now, Leeroy said:

I'm really starting to dislike Monchi and all his wheeling and dealing. 

We only signed Diaby a year ago, he's just turned 25, he's only had one year in England and if we're binning him off already then I really don't like what we've become as a football club.

Diaby's got all the talent to go to the very top, unless we're selling him for a crazy fee like £100m it makes no sense with 4 years left on his contract. We signed him for up to £50m last summer so getting only a little bit more than that is very poor business considering all he needs is one top season next season and he could be one of our most valuable players.

To be offloading attacking players like Diaby and replacing him in the squad with obscure youngsters like Dobbin makes me think we're not serious about competing with the top teams. 

Yeh, because Dobbin was brought in to replace Diaby 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Probably something close to the £70m mark. If we could nearly double our money after a season I think it makes sense from a business pov. 

Though, I wouldn't particularly like the fact we'd lose both Luiz and Diaby in the same window. 

i may be pedantic here, but i don't think looking at "losing" them is the right perspective.  I think we are making smart decisions that reflect both the business / finance needs of the club and the footballing.  Dougie and Moussa have real talent, but Doug is not speedy quick and Emory would  (i think) more speed and covering more ground in that double pivot role.  Mousa has speed to burn, but just hasn't clicked in that withdrawn striker of the right shoulder, especially if the opponent play deep and park the bus.  Another style there  (morgan or Emi B ) will do better. 

I get very emotionally attached to Villa players.  But it's off season and more important to think about improving the club on the field and on the balance sheet and I can see that both of these moves are smart in those respects.  Especially in the off season and trades, emotion needs to come out of the decisions.  Long term building and financial stability become the priorities.

• Like 1

Why on earth wouid he want to go there unless it's purely financial greed. I'm getting worried that we could be breaking up the squad that finished 4th in the Premier League too quickly. Unless we have a replacement lined up then why sell him.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We signed him for up to £50m last summer so getting only a little bit more than that is very poor business considering all he needs is one top season next season and he could be one of our most valuable players.

We signed him for £32.5m, he certainly hasn't had time to trigger his addons. 

How do we know that Dani Olmo isn't already lined up as his replacement? And that's even if you can believe these rumors. 

Monchi is a master, I trust him entirely. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I'm really starting to dislike Monchi and all his wheeling and dealing. 

We only signed Diaby a year ago, he's just turned 25, he's only had one year in England and if we're binning him off already then I really don't like what we've become as a football club.

Diaby's got all the talent to go to the very top, unless we're selling him for a crazy fee like £100m it makes no sense with 4 years left on his contract. We signed him for up to £50m last summer so getting only a little bit more than that is very poor business considering all he needs is one top season next season and he could be one of our most valuable players.

To be offloading attacking players like Diaby and replacing him in the squad with obscure youngsters like Dobbin makes me think we're not serious about competing with the top teams. 

If you disklike Monchi it means you dislike Emery. They come in a team. Emery as the final say.

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Why on earth wouid he want to go there unless it's purely financial greed. I'm getting worried that we could be breaking up the squad that finished 4th in the Premier League too quickly. Unless we have a replacement lined up then why sell him.  

Because we need to sell somebody for good money. Duran alone is not enough. Diaby is dispensable. At no point last season when he was not in the squad I though, oh shit, we missing Diaby, we really gonna suffer here. I had that feeling if Martinez, Konsa, McGinn or Watkins were missing.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 1

Just now, Czarnikjak said:

Because we need to sell somebody for very good money. Duran alone is not enough. Diaby is dispensable. At no point last season when he was not in the squad I though, oh shit, we missing Diaby, we really gonna suffer here. I had that feeling if Martinez, Konsa, McGinn or Watkins were missing.

We've already sold Luiz. That was Diabys first season I think the potential is great. It's a backwards step if we don't buy someone of similar quality 

hope there is no truth to the rumours, however perhaps the player also wants to move for religious reasons, at the end of season lap round the pitch his wife is clearly very devoted nd wore all the religious attire....he might be thinking he can spend 3-4 years there and then move back to europe at a fairly good team by the time he's 30. then from our POV, it would help greatly with PSR and i'm sure monchi and emery would be able to get a hell of a lot for the money.....hope he stays as feel he has a lot to deliver

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

We signed him for £32.5m, he certainly hasn't had time to trigger his addons. 

How do we know that Dani Olmo isn't already lined up as his replacement? And that's even if you can believe these rumors. 

The only reason for selling him would be to replace with a player like that, but even then it’s another player that needs to get settled in England and to the league when Diaby already has acclimatised.

It just seems like we’re trying to break up the team/squad that got us 4th last season and I don’t like it.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Can we please stop using Dobbin as an argument why we should or shouldn’t sign players? Dobbin has had a mediocre season at Derby in League One. I doubt he’ll ever play for us.

Exactly 

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Can we please stop using Dobbin as an argument why we should or shouldn’t sign players? Dobbin has had a mediocre season at Derby in League One. I doubt he’ll ever play for us.

But he has a funny name 

Dob…bin

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

hope there is no truth to the rumours, however perhaps the player also wants to move for religious reasons, at the end of season lap round the pitch his wife is clearly very devoted nd wore all the religious attire....he might be thinking he can spend 3-4 years there and then move back to europe at a fairly good team by the time he's 30. then from our POV, it would help greatly with PSR and i'm sure monchi and emery would be able to get a hell of a lot for the money.....hope he stays as feel he has a lot to deliver

You may be right about his reasoning. But he would never return to a good team in Europe at 30. He’s a pacy winger which means he’s in his peak right now.

9 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

If you disklike Monchi it means you dislike Emery. They come in a team. Emery as the final say.

Romano said last summer that Emery was ‘determined’ to sign Diaby and he was a top target. He can’t have changed his mind on him after one season.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

You may be right about his reasoning. But he would never return to a good team in Europe at 30. He’s a pacy winger which means he’s in his peak right now.

i really think we havent seen the best of him yet....hope its paper talk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

We signed him for £32.5m. 

Signing Olmo would be incredible… but maybe it’s best not dream about such a player unless/until we’re actually linked or open negotiations. Might be the standard of player that is just out of reach for now, but we are closer than ever… doesn’t seem completely impossible.

I’m fully on board with Felix and Chiesa if Unai actually wants them - which should erase any doubts, who knows better than him? Maybe we go and get that top class CM (I do wonder whether we can get someone like Olmo, who is more of a CAM or WF but seems to have the profile/build that could thrive there, in that role who would be even better than Dougie. But would need to be backed up by a proper DM).

Yeah, I don’t think we can judge Monchi or our business until the window is actually closed and our transfer activity is finalised. Feels like there is a lot going on and much to be done…

I don’t particularly want to lose Diaby and would expect him to be even better this season but… if we can make a decent profit on him, it’s an opportunity we can’t really turn down so long as the player wants the move. He’s, not yet, at the level of an essential or key player such as Emi, Pau, (Konsa?), Kamara, Bailey & Watkins are. 

And then we can utilise those funds to bring in more of the players Unai wants and to genuinely enhance the team, ready for competitive CL football (we need to perform much better than we did in ECL and still compete for top 4 in PL, Unai has already said he doesn’t want CL football to be a one off for us. Big challenge).

I’m not sure many of us quite realise the extent of the ambition and intent at the club, we don’t just want to make up the numbers. Only thing holding us back are the financial rules and regulations, we are negotiating them…

With all of the rules and restrictions, I’m glad our recruitment team is finding ways to deal with them while trying to give Unai a stronger squad, and hopefully team. We need a stronger first 11 imo, it’s not equivalent to the best team we could put out last season. But there is time and plenty in the works… we really should just wait and see and get on board with our new and improved way of doing things…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Losing Luiz and Diaby in the one window going into a CL season would be so disheartening.

Yep, you can't simply make more signings and problem solved. Signings are a gamble.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Signing Olmo would be incredible… but maybe it’s best not dream about such a player unless/until we’re actually linked or open negotiations. Might be the standard of player that is just out of reach for now, but we are closer than ever…doesn’t seem impossible.

I’m fully on board with Felix and Chiesa if Unai actually wants them - which should erase any doubts, who knows better than him?. Maybe we go and get that top class CM (I do wonder whether we can get someone like Olmo, who is more of a CAM or WF but seems to have the profile/build that could thrive there, in that role who would be even better than Dougie. But would need to be backed up by a proper DM).

Yeah, I don’t think we can judge Monchi or our business until the window is actually closed and our transfer activity is finalised. Feels like there is a lot going on and much to be done…

I don’t particularly want to lose Diaby and would expect him to be even better this season but… if we can make a decent profit on him, it’s an opportunity we can’t really turn down so long as the player wants the move. He’s, not yet, at the level of an essential or key player such as Emi, Pau, (Konsa?), Kamara, Bailey & Watkins are. 

And then we can utilise those funds to bring in more of the players Unai wants and to genuinely enhance the team, ready for competitive CL football (we need perform much better than we did in ECL and still compete for top 4, Unai has already said he doesn’t want CL football to be a one off for us).

I’m not sure many of us quite realise the ambition and intent at the club, we don’t just want to make up the numbers. Only thing holding us back are the financial rules and regulations, we are negotiating them…

With all of the rules and restrictions, I’m glad our recruitment team is finding ways to deal with them while trying to give Unai a stronger squad, and hopefully team. We need a stronger first 11 imo, it’s not equivalent to the best team we could put out last season. But there is time and plenty in the works… we really should just wait and see and get on board with our new and improved way of doing things…

I think my point is that Monchi won't just be looking to cash in on Diaby if there's a massive bid. 

He'll only sanction something if there's a genuine improvement out there who is willing to sign for us. Olmo was an example of the class required to step up from Diaby. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â