Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

I guess if we did sell him and just broke even that would make sense financially with amortisation right? If we got a £20m profit and the amortisation benefit I’m sure Monchi will look at a sale. Wheeling and dealing like that is his forte.

I love him, I think he's class. But if we get £70m+ then I think we sell.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Otavio went for £60m too. They spent £50m on Mitrovic from Fulham. He’s just turned 25 and had a great first season. We would be shortsighted to not demand a higher fee than £60m for that reason. 

Otavio was €60m (his release clause), not £. Semantics to a degree but my point is that Neymar aside the very top end they paid for players was around £50m, with that being a minority as well. "Minimum £75 million" would make Diaby more or less level with Neymar for the most they've spent on an individual player to date which I think would be fanciful to expect.

24 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

If it’s a Saudi club should be minimum £75m 

They are more about spending big on wages than the fees themselves. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they pay the full fee up front. 

If they offer something between £40-50m, I think we sell.

7 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I guess if we did sell him and just broke even that would make sense financially with amortisation right? 

Not really, because we then have to spend on another player to replace him.  And a new player to the league comes with more of a risk and possibly another settling in period.

40 minutes ago, Isa said:

To be fair, every fan base weights expectation vis-a-vis price tag surely?

yes but doesn't make it any less wrong by doing so.

kamara was a free transfer...do you think it's right that his and diaby's performances are judged differently?

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Not really, because we then have to spend on another player to replace him.  And a new player to the league comes with more of a risk and possibly another settling in period.

Bailey, Buendia, Iling-Junior, Dobbin, Ramsey, is an ample supply of wingers.

If we look at who plays the SS role in the middle we can use any of the above, but also have Rodgers, McGinn, Tielemans, and Watkins himself if we fancied playing two up top.

If we sold Diaby, we don't need a replacement. But I'd expect Philogene to come in as another option, freeing up a place in our CL squad for a new signing elsewhere on the pitch. 

Edit: I added two more options we already have and refined

Edited by MrBlack

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

But the following players all had high price tags. 

Buendia, Watkins, Torres, Diaby and Maatsen. All in around 30-40m including add ons etc..

Then Bailey, Ings, Digne, Carlos all in the mid 20m level expensive. 

Buendia - Plenty of people wanted him gone as well when he went through spells

Watkins - Not really a fair comparison when he was the only one scoring in the team for a while

Maatsen - How can the fans turn on him when he hasn't played a game yet?

Torres - Hit the ground running and was the standout defender last year, anyone that criticised him or wanted him gone would need to have a serious word with themselves given the rest of the defense.

I think people will be grateful of Diabys contributions next season, he'll have had a season to get used to the team, league, coaching and be able to hit the ground running. We need high quality players, with european experience if we are going to make a success of this season on those Saturday - Wednesday - Saturday game weeks and having players like Diaby will help considerably.

I'd be gutted if we sold him. First season in a tough league and the guy put up good numbers. Should improve second season and we have more competition too with Rogers, JJ, Iling and maybe Philogene...so not like it breaks the season if he doesn't leap forward.

If he does take a leap then he could be the biggest difference maker in the team

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Otavio was €60m (his release clause), not £. Semantics to a degree but my point is that Neymar aside the very top end they paid for players was around £50m, with that being a minority as well. "Minimum £75 million" would make Diaby more or less level with Neymar for the most they've spent on an individual player to date which I think would be fanciful to expect.

We don’t need to sell him though, nor is there a release clause. We shouldn’t sell for the sake of it either which is why I put the price that high. Especially when it comes to the Saudi teams. 

I can’t see us letting Diaby go unless we make a significant profit on him. So we would need a fee in the region of 70m for this to make sense. 

He was an Emery/ Monchi signing so I assume they would want him to stay and develop further. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

yes but doesn't make it any less wrong by doing so.

kamara was a free transfer...do you think it's right that his and diaby's performances are judged differently?

Bit different. Kamara was 'free' but joined as one of our highest earners. And there was big expectation on that transfer anyway. Expectation that he thankfully lived up to. 

Don't agree it is wrong. The price tag (and/or value of the contract) ultimately tells us the club's expectation from any given transfer, so it's only natural that fans will then use that metric to calibrate their own expectations.

14 minutes ago, Isa said:

Bit different. Kamara was 'free' but joined as one of our highest earners. And there was big expectation on that transfer anyway. Expectation that he thankfully lived up to. 

Don't agree it is wrong. The price tag (and/or value of the contract) ultimately tells us the club's expectation from any given transfer, so it's only natural that fans will then use that metric to calibrate their own expectations.

but using the kamara example, the general feeling on here when he's had a dip in form has been much different to diaby because he doesn't have that price tag hanging over his head. both similar ages, similar experience etc. in those situations they should be judged equally IMO

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but using the kamara example, the general feeling on here when he's had a dip in form has been much different to diaby because he doesn't have that price tag hanging over his head. both similar ages, similar experience etc. in those situations they should be judged equally IMO

OK but Mbappe joined Madrid on a bosman. Do you think there will be any less expectation on him from their fans than there was for CR7?

53 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

To be honest I'd trade Diaby for a bag of used footballs. He's nowhere near good enough to play at this level and Saudi is about right for him. If he needs a lift ...... call me !

You can't possibly believe this. He's not good enough for the PL? Just the 14 goal involvements in his first season in the league, but you're right he's basically Kenny MacLean 

• Like 2

I think he struggled at times, but still provided some decent numbers, and showed enough flashes to show he's got it.

It'd be mad to go to Saudi Arabia at his stage of his career if he cares about his career as anything but an income

Al Ittihad ready to invest a sum close to 60M for Moussa #Diaby of Aston Villa #AVFC .

The player already has an agreement regarding his personal terms.

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â