Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

No way around it unfortunately.  Wingers and forwards are the most expensive players to sign usually.  Diaby is under contract until 2025 and is highly rated, so they have no reason to sell now, and the fact the Saudi club are pushing up the price.  I suspect that's why we are hearing links to Doku, probably just a red herring to put pressure on Leverkusen.

Well, exactly. We're only in the conference league and the pool of players that are both good enough to be an upgrade and want to come play for us isn't that big. Plus all English teams are taxed to pay more because of the financial might, so it's to be expected. 

I'd much rather we paid an extra 5m or so and got our man, than having to make do with someone lesser. 

• Like 3

It's only really relevant comparing forwards,  and probably even more specifically wingers.

It's also more important to note that Diaby isn't any of those players and so he's worth qualifying in his own right. I assume our scouting team (combined with our now very well experienced leadership team of Emery and Monchi) will have enough data to have made a more formed view of him. 

He's got consistency on his side over the last few seasons, and I think he'd make the transition better than Bailey did (primarily because he doesn't have the same injury record as Bailey now has)

Edited by MrBlack

15 minutes ago, sne said:

De Bruine, Son, Firmino, Aubameyang Dzeko, (Sané, Havertz) have done OK

Yeah but apart from those players..... and Berbatov, de Jong, Pulisic....

....Kompany, Joelinton....

....Klinsmann, Ballack and Gundogan....

there's hardly any examples at all. 😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well, exactly. We're only in the conference league and the pool of players that are both good enough to be an upgrade and want to come play for us isn't that big. Plus all English teams are taxed to pay more because of the financial might, so it's to be expected. 

I'd much rather we paid an extra 5m or so and got our man, than having to make do with someone lesser. 

I don't mind overpaying for someone like Diaby who will have re-sale value, considering we underpaid for Pau Torres, and got Tielemans on a free.

• Thanks 1

Let's just hope this one isn't true. Otherwise it means Newcastle, who wanted Diaby but couldn't afford him because of FFP, have managed through their owners PIF, to stop a Premier League competitor from getting the player, by buying him instead with one of their other clubs.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Let's just hope this one isn't true. Otherwise it means Newcastle, who wanted Diaby but couldn't afford him because of FFP, have managed through their owners PIF, to stop a Premier League competitor from getting the player, by buying him instead with one of their other clubs.

Same guy has only ever tweeted twice about Diaby, the other tweet claiming Arsenal were signing him. He doesn’t know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

That would be a serious blow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I would hope Villa would make serious accusations to the governing bodies if this was going to happen.

A couple of us mentioned this a few days ago and we're worried it might happen.

Also PIF may have issues with Villa because we are a rival and because Emery rejected their offers to manage the Barcodes.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Same guy has only ever tweeted twice about Diaby, the other tweet claiming Arsenal were signing him. He doesn’t know. 

Good. I still don't like the fact that Al Nassr can be used by PIF to artficially push up a price which will end up affecting one of Newcastle's competitors, when the money means nothing to the Saudi club. But ho hum. I guess I'll just have to accept that's how modern football is allowed to work now.

• Sad 1

Maybe it’s me, but if Diaby wants to go to Arabia, then he’s not serious as a player.

If he is serious he will be telling B.Leverkusen that he has no interest in playing there. Anything else is just nonsense.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Good. I still don't like the fact that Al Nassr can be used by PIF to artficially push up a price which will end up affecting one of Newcastle's competitors, when the money means nothing to the Saudi club. But ho hum. I guess I'll just have to accept that's how modern football is allowed to work now.

We would just stop at the price we won't bid at. If the player has no interest in going to Saudi then Leverkusen would keep him. 

I wouldn't be too worried about the Al Nassr bid tbh. My gut is the information is being leaked to try out pressure on Villa to up their bid. I think Diaby and Leverkusen know it's Villa as only realistic destination for a deal

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

Maybe it’s me, but if Diaby wants to go to Arabia, then he’s not serious as a player.

If he is serious he will be telling B.Leverkusen that he has no interest in playing there. Anything else is just nonsense.

I'm sorry but he could essentially be tripling his take home salary in Saudi Arabia compared to what it would be here. It's very very hard to say no to that. It could be even more if you are talking 300-400k a week

• Like 2

Just now, TheMightyVillans said:

This seems like a weird signing to pursue and spend so much on for the Saudi club. Definitely something dodgy going on.

They are also signing Telles from United even though they can’t register names formally yet. I’m sceptical about their supposed interest. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

I'm sorry but he could essentially be tripling his take home salary in Saudi Arabia compared to what it would be here. It's very very hard to say no to that. It could be even more if you are talking 300-400k a week

Sorry, thought he was playing the game to be the best player he can be and to be successful, not ruin his career in the sand league.

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Sorry, thought he was playing the game to be the best player he can be and to be successful, not ruin his career in the sand league.

You can spend billions on players, but you can't buy heritage, and you can't buy credibility.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â