The Moral Maze - Age of Consent

Seat68

Just now, bobzy said:

Means tested instead?

No. What we do now is fine. At different ages different things become legal, demystifying things and breaking up milestones. That doesn't mean that some things we do are stupid (if you can legally put your dick in it, you should be able to look at a photo of it) but generally our decisions on those kind of things are correct imo.

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

There is no lower age limit for paying Income Tax

That’s where I was kinda clumsily going with it. 

Trying to suggest there’s a magical day ‘x’ number of days after birth when you can drive and marry and take pics of tits isn’t going to suit many people.

Like it or not, people will shag and have kids. If we’re telling them at 17 they can’t drive a car or live together or pay rent or vote in council elections, or take pictures of each others arses, it’s a bit rude taxing them. 

It’s never going to be perfect, and some people grow up at 15 and some at 25 and some never. A blanket ‘18’ fixes nothing. Life’s messier than that.

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s where I was kinda clumsily going with it. 

Trying to suggest there’s a magical day ‘x’ number of days after birth when you can drive and marry and take pics of tits isn’t going to suit many people.

Like it or not, people will shag and have kids. If we’re telling them at 17 they can’t drive a car or live together or pay rent or vote in council elections, or take pictures of each others arses, it’s a bit rude taxing them. 

It’s never going to be perfect, and some people grow up at 15 and some at 25 and some never. A blanket ‘18’ fixes nothing. Life’s messier than that.

Is it? I fail to see the connection. Income tax is based on income, it isn’t a reflection of your age. You pay VAT on goods and services regardless of age. If a baby earns over the tax threshold for doing modelling or acting, it pays income tax. The only tax which has a lower age limit that I’m aware of is National Insurance (16)

Taxation isn’t really connected to adulthood nor is it related to democracy. A foreign national can come to this country to work (with a visa obviously). They don’t get to vote but they do have to pay tax.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is it? I fail to see the connection. Income tax is based on income, it isn’t a reflection of your age. You pay VAT on goods and services regardless of age. If a baby earns over the tax threshold for doing modelling or acting, it pays income tax. The only tax which has a lower age limit that I’m aware of is National Insurance (16)

Taxation isn’t really connected to adulthood nor is it related to democracy. A foreign national can come to this country to work (with a visa obviously). They don’t get to vote but they do have to pay tax.

Old enough to be taxed, not old enough for a say on how tax income is spent. Yes, I think that’s a good example of how life is messy, of course it’s messy, and unfair and one great clunking date will definitely not suit all or fix anything.

When we fix the date at ‘x’ there will be unfairness. set it at 18 and you’ll have partners aged 17 that have children that can’t function as a full adult couple in a loving relationship. But it does legitimise the 42 year old predator that is shagging his way through the vulnerable 18 year olds of the town, moving on to the next one as soon as this one is pregnant.

It was just part of an illustration that any one date doesn’t work in real life. The current staggered dates (for sex vs selling photos) doesn’t work, but having one magic date for everything also won’t work. That was the attempted message.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Old enough to be taxed, not old enough for a say on how tax income is spent. Yes, I think that’s a good example of how life is messy, of course it’s messy, and unfair and one great clunking date will definitely not suit all or fix anything.

Equally applies to my foreign national example. You get taxed, you have no right in saying how it gets spent

Are you suggesting that the 13 year old child clothes model shouldn’t be taxed or are you saying that because they are taxed they get a vote?
I'm not sure I think either of those alternatives is acceptable.

there isn’t a link between taxation and being able to participate in the democratic process. But being able to take part in the democratic process is a part of being a responsible adult, as is participating in sexual activity or driving a car or choosing to smoke or buying a lottery ticket or drinking in a pub

I get where you are coming from with the mixed ages thing but those mixed ages muddy the water an awful lot for most age of consent issues as we're clearly seeing in this very story.

My point was that one age doesn’t work. I didn’t mean to sideline it in to other things other than to illustrate a single date or point in time solves nothing. It might feel convenient at first, but it will not work.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My point was that one age doesn’t work. I didn’t mean to sideline it in to other things other than to illustrate a single date or point in time solves nothing. It might feel convenient at first, but it will not work.

It doesn’t work now either. There is no perfect solution, looking for one is a futile exercise 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â