Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, but I'm also not sure that's true. The blue with the claret option would "ping" off the shirt even better imo.

But it is what it is. It's not going to change now. Hopefully we get the mono version on plenty of away shirts as without that yellow/blue combination the badge is actually fine

Scroll back a few pages, I did an option of the possible colour ways, you can decide yourself. 

I went with the blue shield, claret lion. Not as poppy but more clear 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Yeah exactly, because both words have ... (counts on fingers @nick76)... 5 letters each, it seems more reasonable to think they might provide symmetry, but the space the letters take up in each word is much different, and there's only so much you can save that by messing around with the kerning before it just looks wrong. As you say, if one word is much longer than the other then the expectation of the space being in the middle is much less.

If you look at the Manchester clubs, they've got around it by splitting the name to top and bottom, but I don't think it would work for us because our words are shorter and it would impact the vertical space we'd have available which then ends up making the lion smaller.

I think moving it to the top would make it less obvious, if you look at 'West Ham' at the top of their crest the space ion the name isn't centered either, but it does seem less noticeable.

We need to change the name to ASTON VOLLA, that should fix the spacing issue, or ASTIN VILLA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Scroll back a few pages, I did an option of the possible colour ways, you can decide yourself. 

I went with the blue shield, claret lion. Not as poppy but more clear 

Yep, that's what I was referring to when I said "the blue with claret option"

• Like 1

There's been a bit of chat about the yellow lion and it should be gold..  However the gold we ever had, has always been yellow. it's just an optical effect that yellow on claret makes the yellow more golden..

so in an attempt to replicate  a more golden colour i got to these
Asset-7.png

A. So much worse than the yellow and learns far more on the drop shadow to get the contrast. in the bin
B. looks nicer on a claret shield. but West Ham... in the bin
C. A smidge more Viila, but i'm still not convinced in the bin 
D. This will only look good as a graphic or made with real metallic material. preferably real gold, unrealistic, in the bin

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

There's been a bit of chat about the yellow lion and it should be gold..  However the gold we ever had, has always been yellow. it's just an optical effect that yellow on claret makes the yellow more golden..

Asset-7.png

A. So much worse than the yellow and learns far more on the drop shadow to get the contrast. in the bin
D. This will only look good as a graphic or made with real metallic material. preferably real gold, unrealistic, in the bin

The shield just doesn’t work for us.  People don’t like the round but there are plenty of other shapes that would surely work better.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The shield just doesn’t work for us.  People don’t like the round but there are plenty of other shapes that would surely work better.

Keep it to the colour way please

5 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

You've done everything you can here, but this group of logos proves to me that we need to abandon this style of badge.

No combination of our colours works right when you have a lion on a single colour shield. There's either not enough blue or the contrast is off.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2023/24 badge, I think it's very bland and characterless, but it did get the colour balance pretty close.

Compare them all to say, this one, which was shared around around the time the 23/24 badge was unveiled.

image.png.c3f5d2862b638fd9102b6a7bf6b5ef45.png

The right amount of claret and blue and the contrast makes the lion really stand out. If I was designing the logo, i'm not sure if i'd do a round badge but this is the sort of colour balance that is needed to make the colours work.

Would be fine if we were taken over by City Group.

Just now, nick76 said:

Don’t understand what you mean?

My demonstration was purely about the yellow being gold and it how it works/doesn't work. So people can visualise what they're trying to express when talking about "gold" vs "yellow" 

The Shield is a different issue, that i might give other options at a later date

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Asset-7.png

Could you do one with the "gold" used in the AV150 logo - that might work.

11 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

My demonstration was purely about the yellow being gold and it how it works/doesn't work. So people can visualise what they're trying to express when talking about "gold" vs "yellow" 

The Shield is a different issue, that i might give other options at a later date

It does work. They all look great apart from A.

Crest aside (conversations on that are going around in circles), I find the new branding we're seeing all very scattergun. Some nice bits, some very amateur looking, overall just not very cohesive.

I know some people think others are going OTT with their reactions, but when you do this stuff for a living and are passionate about it, it's incredibly frustrating and disappointing to see from our club, especially at such an exciting and landmark time. 

I started writing a full branding review but can't be bothered, it is what it is. One thing I can confidently say - and this is a professional opinion - is that Mr.Heck is not the branding expert we were led to believe (unless it's some new form of dark art I'm not aware of.)

Very excited about new kits and the whole adidas range, I have more trust in them!

UTV

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Asset-7.png

Oooohhh gradient fill and drop shadow, what a combo! 

It's funny to hear the talk about gold because I've always seen it as yellow anyway. Or are we talking gold like the yellow in the german flag is supposedly "gold" too? 😂

I've never been a fan of too much yellow/"gold" on the kits but a trim on the badges like below works really well.

10 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Asset-1.png

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

MWAHAHAHAHAHA
Asset-9.png

Why is the Villa so squashed compare to the Aston? Given the crossbars on the capital I with Comic Sans, the right kerneling would allow our name to be centred with this font, making the badge look absolutely **** shit still.

• Haha 1

Â