Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

As much as I've laughed at our ridiculous drop shadow, I have to admit that perhaps I am overthinking it, because I have never once noticed the drop shadow on the Chelsea badge until it was just pointed out. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, numbersix said:

It’s been useful as a psychopathy spectrum test  

Some people have a different opinion to you about the 2022-24 mega Aston Villa rebrand and how it turned out in the end.

It's hardly time to call in the behavioural psychologists now is it?! 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, numbersix said:

The only test I’ve ever passed, well they said my results were “off the charts”, so I must have done well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

As much as I've laughed at our ridiculous drop shadow, I have to admit that perhaps I am overthinking it, because I have never once noticed the drop shadow on the Chelsea badge until it was just pointed out. 

Context, innit.  I said at the start of this debacle that a drop-shadow in and of itself is not inherently a good or bad thing, it's simply a design element.  It's the execution of it that's key.  To take the Chelsea example, they don't have the base issue of a light-coloured element washing out on a light-coloured background; the blue of their lion is already well-defined against the white background of the badge, and though their drop shadow still muddies the outline somewhat, that colour contrast is stark enough that very little definition is lost.  Theirs is also helped by additional detailing inside the lion itself, something that our lion is in dire need of (just look at how much better the detailed-lion version of our new badge looked against the version that's being used).

Compare that to our badge, we've got a solid block, light yellow lion with no definition on a light blue background, so you are already starting from a lack of contrast; slapping a light grey drop-shadow on that is the graphic design equivalent of using water to put out a chip-pan fire.

The lettering alignment thing is a non-starter really, that was always going to need to be a compromise unless we really dug into the minutiae of the kerning and tailoring the font itself to fit, so I don't think anything else is to be done there (I would have preferred the club name at the top, but that's purely personal preference, either is a valid choice).

3 hours ago, numbersix said:

It's been useful to determine who I would and wouldn't trust with crayons and a colouring book.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Man U one is ok I think, yeah the other two are shite.

I keep saying that my main bother on ours at this points is the white 1874 and star.

As aatter of tact, even just removinf the start would help.

Ours defonstands out though.

YELLOW ON BLUE!!!

spacer.png

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

You've done everything you can here, but this group of logos proves to me that we need to abandon this style of badge.

No combination of our colours works right when you have a lion on a single colour shield. There's either not enough blue or the contrast is off.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2023/24 badge, I think it's very bland and characterless, but it did get the colour balance pretty close.

Compare them all to say, this one, which was shared around around the time the 23/24 badge was unveiled.

image.png.c3f5d2862b638fd9102b6a7bf6b5ef45.png

The right amount of claret and blue and the contrast makes the lion really stand out. If I was designing the logo, i'm not sure if i'd do a round badge but this is the sort of colour balance that is needed to make the colours work.

Yes but gold, not yellow.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Fun fact for everyone. 
the gold in C and E is the same colour as the “yellow” in A

If anything this just proves what a lot of us have been saying, the yellow (or gold) combined with the pale blue doesn't work. It makes the yellow look far too washed out

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Agree completely.

If you tried to design a Newcastle logo using the processes we've used in the last 20 years, you'd end up with characterless generic garbage. Us and West Ham, and even the short lived attempts by Everton and Leeds demonstrate this.

Next time we do this, and I don't think it'll be more than a decade, we need to do it very differently, trusting in a designer instead of using fan votes.

There's a very low % of fans who would oppose if we went pure designer and ended up with a great badge.

It's obviously the best way to do things.

Having said that...the round badge we ended up with last season was fine. Not great, fine.

This new one is actually a joke.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a copy of the "unleashed" badge without the background or shield (just lion, start and text)? I don't like the text being at the bottom of the crest but I am wondering if it may look good using the unleashed version, which would at least make sense for some usages. 

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Oh, you are right! How amateur, let me quickly correct that for you...

spacer.png

Now without all of the guides...

spacer.png

Hang on a minute, that looks worse, we've got a big gap between the name and the edge of the shield on the right, but not the left, what a palava!

It's almost as if the horizontal space each word takes up is different, who could have possibly envisaged that?

How do Newcastle United center the space between 'Newcastle' and 'United' in the middle... 🤔

Oh, that's right, they don't. Words almost never match up how you'd like, life is simply not that easy, sometimes as a designer you just have to pick the least worst option, you know, kind of like in a general election or something.

Now, there are arguments the name should be at the top, the colour scheme should be different, some parts shouldn't be there, whatever, but demanding the impossible whilst saying not doing so is amateur is just a bit silly, to me anyway.

I think some have made a good argument it would be less noticeable with the name at the top, and I'd probably agree with that, personally I don't like the 1874 coming before the name as well, but these are all decisions a designer has to make, and it is very rarely black or white, there's a whole multiverse of greys in between. Everything is where it is for a reason, it just might not always be obvious what those reasons are, and you don't have to agree with them, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

This is one of those weird quirks where being nearly symmetrical makes it look worse. 

If our name was Birmingham Villa then nobody would be noticing that the name was "off centre" (I agree that it isn't off centre, they've done it the only way they can)

But because our name is ALMOST symmetrical, it kind of makes it look off centre. If that makes sense.

(none of this is a criticism of the badge. I don't think there's anything wrong with the text. It's actually part of the badge that i really like)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Oh, you are right! How amateur, let me quickly correct that for you...

spacer.png

Now without all of the guides...

spacer.png

Hang on a minute, that looks worse, we've got a big gap between the name and the edge of the shield on the right, but not the left, what a palava!

It's almost as if the horizontal space each word takes up is different, who could have possibly envisaged that?

How do Newcastle United center the space between 'Newcastle' and 'United' in the middle... 🤔

Oh, that's right, they don't. Words almost never match up how you'd like, life is simply not that easy, sometimes as a designer you just have to pick the least worst option, you know, kind of like in a general election or something.

Now, there are arguments the name should be at the top, the colour scheme should be different, some parts shouldn't be there, whatever, but demanding the impossible whilst saying not doing so is amateur is just a bit silly, to me anyway.

I think some have made a good argument it would be less noticeable with the name at the top, and I'd probably agree with that, personally I don't like the 1874 coming before the name as well, but these are all decisions a designer has to make, and it is very rarely black or white, there's a whole multiverse of greys in between. Everything is where it is for a reason, it just might not always be obvious what those reasons are, and you don't have to agree with them, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

**** hell :crylaugh:

So bad.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If anything this just proves what a lot of us have been saying, the yellow (or gold) combined with the pale blue doesn't work. It makes the yellow look far too washed out

I agree, it’s not a great combination. 

the only merit I can give it, as a combination it does ping off a claret shirt more than any other colour way there is. 

but that’s not exactly a convincing win when you can’t see what’s in the shield 

• Like 1

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

I agree, it’s not a great combination. 

the only merit I can give it, as a combination it does ping off a claret shirt more than any other colour way there is. 

but that’s not exactly a convincing win when you can’t see what’s in the shield 

Yep, but I'm also not sure that's true. The blue with the claret option would "ping" off the shirt even better imo.

But it is what it is. It's not going to change now. Hopefully we get the mono version on plenty of away shirts as without that yellow/blue combination the badge is actually fine

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is one of those weird quirks where being nearly symmetrical makes it look worse. 

If our name was Birmingham Villa then nobody would be noticing that the name was "off centre" (I agree that it isn't off centre, they've done it the only way they can)

But because our name is ALMOST symmetrical, it kind of makes it look off centre. If that makes sense.

(none of this is a criticism of the badge. I don't think there's anything wrong with the text. It's actually part of the badge that i really like)

Yeah exactly, because both words have ... (counts on fingers @nick76)... 5 letters each, it seems more reasonable to think they might provide symmetry, but the space the letters take up in each word is much different, and there's only so much you can save that by messing around with the kerning before it just looks wrong. As you say, if one word is much longer than the other then the expectation of the space being in the middle is much less.

If you look at the Manchester clubs, they've got around it by splitting the name to top and bottom, but I don't think it would work for us because our words are shorter and it would impact the vertical space we'd have available which then ends up making the lion smaller.

I think moving it to the top would make it less obvious, if you look at 'West Ham' at the top of their crest the space on the name isn't centered either, but it does seem less noticeable.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Yeah exactly, because both words have ... (counts on fingers @nick76)... 5 letters each, it seems more reasonable to think they might provide symmetry, but the space the letters take up in each word is much different, and there's only so much you can save that by messing around with the kerning before it just looks wrong. As you say, if one word is much longer than the other then the expectation of the space being in the middle is much less.

If you look at the Manchester clubs, they've got around it by splitting the name to top and bottom, but I don't think it would work for us because our words are shorter and it would impact the vertical space we'd have available which then ends up making the lion smaller.

I think moving it to the top would make it less obvious, if you look at 'West Ham' at the top of their crest the space ion the name isn't centered either, but it does seem less noticeable.

Yeah I do think the words at the top would look better but that's really minor thing in terms of this design.

Going back to the scaling down discussion, I think the big problem is the 1874 being white. When the badge is smaller it makes the 1874 almost invisible, which then makes the space between the lion and the words look strangely big.

But I'm nitpicking now

• Like 1

Â