Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Man U one is ok I think, yeah the other two are shite.

I keep saying that my main bother on ours at this points is the white 1874 and star.

As aatter of tact, even just removinf the start would help.

Ours defonstands out though.

@Demitri_C, what did you do to @JAMAICAN-VILLAN?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't see the problem with Newcastle's or Man Utd's. If it weren't for the clubs and fanbases they represent, I'd love the fact that they're bonkers. Same with Liverpool's. They go to show that you can have something relatively complex and distinctive whilst not affecting your global reach or "optimisation for modern usage" one jot, so there's no reasonable justification for clubs like us, West Ham and Chelsea being lumped with bland toss.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure why, but I thought the fan made badges would stop once the official badge was released.

And I thought I'd stop coming into this thread, yet here I am 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

I don't see the problem with Newcastle's or Man Utd's. If it weren't for the clubs and fanbases they represent, I'd love the fact that they're bonkers. Same with Liverpool's. They go to show that you can have something relatively complex and distinctive whilst not affecting your global reach or "optimisation for modern usage" one jot, so there's no reasonable justification for clubs like us, West Ham and Chelsea being lumped with bland toss.

Agree completely.

If you tried to design a Newcastle logo using the processes we've used in the last 20 years, you'd end up with characterless generic garbage. Us and West Ham, and even the short lived attempts by Everton and Leeds demonstrate this.

Next time we do this, and I don't think it'll be more than a decade, we need to do it very differently, trusting in a designer instead of using fan votes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Fiddling around with the colour way and It's basically 5 options, that could have their own minor tweaks, such as E/F 

Asset-5.png

A. What we got
B. The logical fix
C. The other logical fix
D. Another Logical fix
E. People liked the Gold mono colour in the vid, so just wanted to see it on claret 
F. Blue mono colour to make it 6

For me,

C is in the bin for the wiff of wet Spam it has.
F is in the bin for being invisible
D is less invisible, but it might as well be.. in the bin 
E does look great and it really pops off the claret, but it really is a massive detour on our tradition colours, so in the bin... sorry
Now it's A or B
Hummmm has to be B, it doesn't pop as much a A, but it ties up nicely with our colour scheme and contrasts well

HUUUGE apologies to all the people this upsets…but I think the best of the six is the one we’ve got.  🫣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Nope, that's just how the font is, setting it on a curved path doesn't cut anything off. That's just not how it works.

I do find it funny the level of detail people seem to go to to justify not liking it, if you don't like it fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, there's been plenty of legitimate reasons listed in this thread, so actively  looking for technicalities that aren't there seems a bit of a waste of time to me, but each to their own I suppose.

I mean it's not a huge level of detail to notice the bloody two words in the badge are off centre with the base of the shield. How embarrassing. Absolute amateur hour. I'd wager there's no other club badge in the world that has misaligned writing like that, even my effing Sunday league team's badge was centred!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I mean it's not a huge level of detail to notice the bloody two words in the badge are off centre with the base of the shield. How embarrassing. Absolute amateur hour. I'd wager there's no other club badge in the world that has misaligned writing like that, even my effing Sunday league team's badge was centred!

Every single previous badge that has said "Aston Villa" has been similarly off-centre.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Fiddling around with the colour way and It's basically 5 options, that could have their own minor tweaks, such as E/F 

Asset-5.png

You've done everything you can here, but this group of logos proves to me that we need to abandon this style of badge.

No combination of our colours works right when you have a lion on a single colour shield. There's either not enough blue or the contrast is off.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2023/24 badge, I think it's very bland and characterless, but it did get the colour balance pretty close.

Compare them all to say, this one, which was shared around around the time the 23/24 badge was unveiled.

image.png.c3f5d2862b638fd9102b6a7bf6b5ef45.png

The right amount of claret and blue and the contrast makes the lion really stand out. If I was designing the logo, i'm not sure if i'd do a round badge but this is the sort of colour balance that is needed to make the colours work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Every single previous badge that has said "Aston Villa" has been similarly off-centre.

And a lot of them have been off-centre by much more.  Just go back and look at the round badge from the early 80s - the gap in the lettering is awful (but it's still a badge that I hold dear for sentimental reasons).

51 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

It's probably as the letter are on the bottom it's more noticeable/dumb looking

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

You've done everything you can here, but this group of logos proves to me that we need to abandon this style of badge.

No combination of our colours works right when you have a lion on a single colour shield. There's either not enough blue or the contrast is off.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2023/24 badge, I think it's very bland and characterless, but it did get the colour balance pretty close.

Compare them all to say, this one, which was shared around around the time the 23/24 badge was unveiled.

The right amount of claret and blue and the contrast makes the lion really stand out. If I was designing the logo, i'm not sure if i'd do a round badge but this is the sort of colour balance that is needed to make the colours work.

Yeah the colour scheme in that has a good balance of still being uniquely Villa and not being too West Ham or Burnley etc at the same time.

Wonder if someone could redo that with our current fonts ( As the one used there aren't suitable )

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Oh, you are right! How amateur, let me quickly correct that for you...

spacer.png

Now without all of the guides...

spacer.png

Hang on a minute, that looks worse, we've got a big gap between the name and the edge of the shield on the right, but not the left, what a palava!

It's almost as if the horizontal space each word takes up is different, who could have possibly envisaged that?

How do Manchester United center the space between 'Manchester' and 'United' in the middle... 🤔

Oh, that's right, they don't. Words almost never match up how you'd like, life is simply not that easy, sometimes as a designer you just have to pick the least worst option, you know, kind of like in a general election or something.

Now, there are arguments the name should be at the top, the colour scheme should be different, some parts shouldn't be there, whatever, but demanding the impossible whilst saying not doing so is amateur is just a bit silly, to me anyway.

I think some have made a good argument it would be less noticeable with the name at the top, and I'd probably agree with that, personally I don't like the 1874 coming before the name as well, but these are all decisions a designer has to make, and it is very rarely black or white, there's a whole multiverse of greys in between. Everything is where it is for a reason, it just might not always be obvious what those reasons are, and you don't have to agree with them, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Why have we never used an I with crossbars in VILLA to help the spacing? Does it just look crap?

I feel like the first A could be closer to the S as well, and the Ls could have longer 'legs' (?). I'm sure it could be improved somewhat at least, basically.

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Yep. None of it is good. People are now over analysing it to find faults. I do think however with all the technology available it should not be off centre. We should expect better. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Why have we never used an I with crossbars in VILLA to help the spacing? Does it just look crap?

I don't know if there's a specific reason, but personally, I don't like big serifs on capital I's, always seems out of place and upsets my rhythm when reading a word, so it could be a readability thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't understand the need to have that much blue. Our colours are claret and blue. That doesn't mean 50/50, that means claret first and some underdetermined amount of blue up to 50% after. Looking at a typical home shirt, it's about 10-20% blue in terms of surface area - a blue shield border as in the design C you quoted achieves that.

Of course there's gold in there too, a lot, and that is desired because gold looks good and stands out. Besides, the crest doesn't have to perfectly match our stated club colours or the balance of our home shirt, but clearly the crest doesn't have to be 50% blue.

22 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Oh, you are right! How amateur, let me quickly correct that for you...

spacer.png

Now without all of the guides...

spacer.png

Hang on a minute, that looks worse, we've got a big gap between the name and the edge of the shield on the right, but not the left, what a palava!

It's almost as if the horizontal space each word takes up is different, who could have possibly envisaged that?

How do Newcastle United center the space between 'Newcastle' and 'United' in the middle... 🤔

Oh, that's right, they don't. Words almost never match up how you'd like, life is simply not that easy, sometimes as a designer you just have to pick the least worst option, you know, kind of like in a general election or something.

Now, there are arguments the name should be at the top, the colour scheme should be different, some parts shouldn't be there, whatever, but demanding the impossible whilst saying not doing so is amateur is just a bit silly, to me anyway.

I think some have made a good argument it would be less noticeable with the name at the top, and I'd probably agree with that, personally I don't like the 1874 coming before the name as well, but these are all decisions a designer has to make, and it is very rarely black or white, there's a whole multiverse of greys in between. Everything is where it is for a reason, it just might not always be obvious what those reasons are, and you don't have to agree with them, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yeah it needs to go on the top. 

• Haha 1

Â