Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My perception is that it’s not particularly well loved outside of VT and my suspicion is the club is aware of this.

The vast majority of villa fans are 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91jfcqwhr59japiru7n2

“where’s Barkley” “where’s Mbeppe”

7 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

The vast majority of villa fans are 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91jfcqwhr59japiru7n2

“where’s Barkley” “where’s Mbeppe”

If that’s your oh so subtle way of saying that supporters care more about the on field stuff rather than stuff like this, then yes, of course they do.

Doesn’t mean off the field stuff doesn’t matter. If I see someone complaining about the trains coming back from games I’ll be sure to point them to your “Where’s Mbappe?” response to help them realise what’s important to focus on.

On the subject of the badge, because that’s what this thread is about - not Barkley, or any transfer wishlist player - my view is that supporters don’t care for it. My view is it’s really not well liked.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If that’s your oh so subtle way of saying that supporters care more about the on field stuff rather than stuff like this, then yes, of course they do.

Doesn’t mean off the field stuff doesn’t matter. If I see someone complaining about the trains coming back from games I’ll be sure to point them to your “Where’s Mbappe?” response to help them realise what’s important to focus on.

On the subject of the badge, because that’s what this thread is about - not Barkley, or any transfer wishlist player - my view is that supporters don’t care for it. My view is it’s really not well liked.

Nothing subtle about it, there’s loads of fans just only care about the football aspects. And that’s about it. 

The branding looks great. Which makes it even more baffling that the badge that’s central to it is so shit

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Nothing subtle about it, there’s loads of fans just only care about the football aspects. And that’s about it. 

Yes, I was making light of the fact you weren’t being subtle. 

I guess I was being too subtle.

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone is saying off field matters are unimportant, maybe just that dwelling on the (subjective) negatives of a badge, when there’s so many more positives around the club than any time in recent memory, seems odd

• Like 2

Guess we kept the Dragon Rouge font as we'd already paid for the license for it through their work.

What bugs me about the title font we've picked is that all the N's are lower case, but every other letter is seemingly uppercase. Why?

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Guess we kept the Dragon Rouge font as we'd already paid for the license for it through their work.

What bugs me about the title font we've picked is that all the N's are lower case, but every other letter is seemingly uppercase. Why?

Good question, I’m going to assume “aesthetics”

Yet, could also be an odd touch for legibility. Like words with the lowercase N  are more readable. But I doubt it 

another odd one, E’s look like backwards 3’s

The image being low quality and pixelated af is absolutely gold.

Exactly what this badge represents. Omnishambles.

Put it in the bin asap.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

It looks fine. But doesn’t change the fact it would look 10x better with the text at the top. Moving the text to the bottom feels equivalent to switching the direction of the lion: a change for change sake so it doesn’t appear too similar to the old badge.

I agree. The badge is completely out of balance. The Lion looks shoved into the top of the badge and the two sets of text at the bottom make no sense. When you see it reduced on the website for phone it looks even worse. It feels like the first pass on a logo before you actually pull it together.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 0Lamptey said:

On the face of it, the video is nice, and the roll out is starting to introduce some consistency. Sorting out the colours and the fonts out is a big step forward. 

But it still all looks reverse engineered to me.

There's a nice bit in the video where they pick out some of the ironwork in the gates and link it to the font, but then they've just picked an off the shelf font with some flourishes that are tenuous at best.

IMG_7600.PNG.b1825a928211285ab4300f57cb8ef55a.PNG

I really like the 'A' pulled of the gates. Maybe they could have used that for the AV150 logo if it was so influential to the branding.

IMG_7597.thumb.PNG.2eb316e47ce85237e2113d31a596f0d0.PNG

They make a thing of the 1874 on the mosaic, but when translated to the badge it's just in very basic Helvetica(?) font with no character to it. 

The double outline and shield shape comes from an old V-neck shirt does it?

There's nothing new or unique here. The website is looking better, but to me it's very generic and does nothing to make us stand out.

100% reverse engineered for me - saw the backlash/lukewarm reception to the badge in January, delayed launch and came up with some bobbins to justify it all......agreed re the continuity - if its a part of the brand - use it throughout, I noticed the font for the 1874 too  - too many conflicting parts muddled together.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I don’t think anyone is saying off field matters are unimportant, maybe just that dwelling on the (subjective) negatives of a badge, when there’s so many more positives around the club than any time in recent memory, seems odd

Is it therefore more disappointing that when football matters are the best for over a generation, the branding is (subjectively - as is the point of a forum!) so far below what this great club should demand going into its 150th year as founders of the whole league and back into the top tier of European Football?

This thread is for debate over the brand and crest - should we not want every aspect of our club to be the best it can be?  Should there not be posts elsewhere about the North Stand, GA+ pushing out 'regular' fans, the ticket selling issues etc?

Lets aim for excellence everywhere - Unai gets it, do Ben,Chris and Doris the designer?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Good question, I’m going to assume “aesthetics”

Yet, could also be an odd touch for legibility. Like words with the lowercase N  are more readable. But I doubt it 

another odd one, E’s look like backwards 3’s

They do indeed.

The non-capital letter thing is really annoying to see though. How can a word be aesthetically pleasing when it is written in a mix of lower and uppercase. We’re not the only ones though, I remember watching a Liverpool game and being mildly irritated throughout that every name on the back of player’s shirts began with a capital except for Elliot (maybe they were avoiding the backwards 3 look).

3 hours ago, Ingers said:

Is it therefore more disappointing that when football matters are the best for over a generation, the branding is (subjectively - as is the point of a forum!) so far below what this great club should demand going into its 150th year as founders of the whole league and back into the top tier of European Football?

This thread is for debate over the brand and crest - should we not want every aspect of our club to be the best it can be?  Should there not be posts elsewhere about the North Stand, GA+ pushing out 'regular' fans, the ticket selling issues etc?

Lets aim for excellence everywhere - Unai gets it, do Ben,Chris and Doris the designer?

I think the branding work is really good and I like the direction we are going in.  I like that there are multiple elements / components that can work independently of each other and yet still say "Aston Villa" when yoy see them.  I can't remember when we had such a wide range of brand components.  Gone are the days of just sticking the badge on something and that was pretty much it.  I really like a lot of the graphics from the branding video, I love the unique shape of the crest, I'm a big fan of the detailed lion and I like the way that the fonts are inspired by things connected to the club.  I don't buy the "reverse engineered" narrative - it would be significantly more work to try and find links to the club to justify a decision made in isolation than it would to say "oh I quite like this font because I think it looks a bit like the iron railings outside".

For what it is worth I don't particularly like the new badge itself - specifically the colours and the star (something that fans insisted had to be there) and personally I'd move the founding year and use it elsewhere within our branding (similar to Prepared).  I do, however, think the design and layout looks a lot better with many of the other colour palettes within the branding piece.  That said I can also appreciate that it's not a straightforward fix - without either adopting the colour palette too similar to another PL team or potentially causing heritage issues.

I think there's some really good work being done.  Can it be improved?  Sure.  But almost all brands evolve as some things work and others don't.  The point is that I think we've got a really solid starting point for that.  Maybe it is the equivalent of last season and finishing 7th in the league after almost being in the relegation battle seven or eight months previously.

I appreciate that other people disagree with my thoughts on this - although I have yet to hear a coherent, reasoned explanation for how the round badge provides a similar starting point for the wider branding work that is required and has been executed this time around.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JPAngel said:

I've said my piece on the badge and I've no interest in repeating myself now. Perhaps it's a "grower, not a show-er".

Anyway, could have been worse.

image.thumb.png.4c0eaf2bc172d5ddf4733c2d4fa82993.png

I'd prefer either of those for our badge to be honest. Even if it actually said Leeds United.

• Haha 4