Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

25 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

Right, now onto whatever he has planned for Villa Park now.

Very clear from MOMS and others that this will be no big expansion and as a matter of fact less GA seats as they convert GA seats into GA +.

Thanks for your loyal custom down the years but we're moving on, and here's your new badge!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

If we get a black kit with the gold badge from 00:28 I'm gonna cream myself.

Screenshot_20240531_092846_Brave.thumb.jpg.b2196fd239de11074585f82ce9424f71.jpg

If we get a black kit with this gold badge, gold stripes, gold trefoil logo.... **** will fly off the shelves!

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Poor communication, marketing Jargon and badge issues (font at bottom, shadow etc.) aside, I really liked that video. Fair play to Heck and the team!

10 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Feels like the branding package was developed after the badge design.   Partly explains why there are 3 different fonts.

As I wrote in my last post on this topic, Im ready to move on to on-the-field matters, but it’s clear the club have mucked this whole re-rebranding project. 

Having multiple fonts in a brand pack is perfectly acceptable and expected from an entity like a football club. Football clubs are producing a wide array of text based content, be it an “Up The Villa” graphic to a 3 paragraph article, on a wide array of formats, from websites, programs, scarfs to banners. Being stuck to one single font, would be jarring to read or boring to see on a banner 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Having multiple fonts in a brand pack is perfectly acceptable and expected from an entity like a football club. Football clubs are producing a wide array of text based content, be it an “Up The Villa” graphic to a 3 paragraph article, on a wide array of formats, from websites, programs, scarfs to banners. Being stuck to one single font, would be jarring to read or boring to see on a banner 

Yep, as a rule of thumb, 2-3 font families across a brand is standard, 4 at an absolute push in certain cases, and then you can have variations within the font faces themselves so thin, bold, black etc. However, you don't want too much variation or you won't be able to keep the consistency.

• Like 3

Just now, Teale's 'tache said:

Yep, as a rule of thumb, 2-3 font families across a brand is standard, 4 at an absolute push in certain cases, and then you can have variations within the font faces themselves so thin, bold, black etc. However, you don't want too much variation or you won't be able to keep the consistency.

Yeah, I often give my clients 3 font families and weights to work with. a graphic font, a title font and a body font. 

Seems like that’s what Villa has here. The badge font is the title font, the custom font is the graphic font and the sans font is the body font

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Yeah, the original Lerner badge was the worst. It looked like a clumsy block of predominantly pale blue on the kits, tracksuits and other gear, and that's not even mentioning the 'AVFC', the shit 'Prepared' font, or the declawed lion, which seems to be doing some form of Queensberry rules boxing.

Aston Villa badge: Club spend £80,000 to remove the word 'prepared' from  crest | The Independent | The Independent

Wizard of Oz- Put em up on Make a GIF

"Put 'em up, put 'em up!"

These two are the worst villa crests ive seen. Horrific 

23 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

The video is good, It is a shame it's coming out this late in the process, I think had the fans seen this before the new design was 'leaked' there may have been a bit less pushback, I imagine that was the plan but once the genie is out the bottle I guess there's not much you can do.

I fully agree, if this was the first thing the fans saw, there would be far far less agro. 

However, it’s not entirely the club’s fault that people were going through the Trademark registration site and leaking it. 

Just one of them things I guess 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Opinions are weird aren’t they?

To me this is the worst badge we’ve had since I started supporting the club. And it’s not really close

The old badge was so dark, dull, and a chelsea copycat. It just wasn't Villa.
New badge is bright and clear. Now none villa fans can easily identify its Villa by the yellow lion and blue. The older badge did not do that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

New badge is bright and clear. Now none villa fans can easily identify its Villa by the yellow lion and blue. The older badge did not do that.

Leaving aside the idea that a yellow lion on a light blue background is “clear”…how important is it that non Villa fans can identify the badge as belonging to the club.

I don’t care what non Villa supporters think about our badge. Why would I?

And if it’s to entice new fans, I believe the amount of people who begin their support on the basis of the aesthetic of the club badge is negligible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I fully agree, if this was the first thing the fans saw, there would be far far less agro. 

However, it’s not entirely the club’s fault that people were going through the Trademark registration site and leaking it. 

Just one of them things I guess 

The issue I think was having to trademark it so soon, I assume this was in order to start adding it to the kits, I know that process is much earlier than most expect, I think @NurembergVillan has mentioned previously that the latest production begins on the kits for the next season is around December/January time which tallies up with when the design was added to be trademarked and when the adidas rumours began to circulate.

So I think it would have been naive not to expect anyone to look at our trademarks for 5/6 months, especially when the fans know there is a new crest incoming. Ideally, it would have been best to launch the new crest/brand in December/January, but obviously, we've no idea how far along they were with it by then, so it's a timing issue I think as much as anything.

21 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

The yellow and blue are the worst things about it. Every variant that doesn’t use those colours looks great 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

The issue I think was having to trademark it so soon, I assume this was in order to start adding it to the kits, I know that process is much earlier than most expect, I think @NurembergVillan has mentioned previously that the latest production begins on the kits for the next season is around December/January time which tallies up with when the design was added to be trademarked and when the adidas rumours began to circulate.

So I think it would have been naive not to expect anyone to look at our trademarks for 5/6 months, especially when the fans know there is a new crest incoming. Ideally, it would have been best to launch the new crest/brand in December/January, but obviously, we've no idea how far along they were with it by then, so it's a timing issue I think as much as anything.

Good point to why the trademark was registered so soon. but yeah, this branding probably wasn’t ready by January. Not necessarily from poor form, but probably from implementation of the new marketing team, plans and direction. If I’m correct, all this was done in-house.. so getting that team in would of delayed things a touch 

3 minutes ago, Daveburnside said:

Beaten into submission 😪

This is exactly what they were counting on. And it’s worked in the large part. 

People are sick of the badge stuff, so they just accept it. And things are good on the pitch so it’s easy to hide it. 

It’s a real shame